WineBoard
crus Beaujolais - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Beaujolais/Gamays/Valdiguie (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-17.html)
+--- Thread: crus Beaujolais (/thread-13941.html)

- mrdutton - 05-22-2000

Today I went to the local Navy Exchange Package Store to buy a bottle of Jack Daniels. While in the store, and this is something I always do, I looked over the wine shelves to see what might be new.

I found a crus Beaujolias, which is something I would have not expected to show up on this stores shelves. It is the 1998 Ch Chaize Brouilly. Having not tried this particular crus I bought a bottle at $10.99.

I've read that of all the crus the wines from Brouilly tend to be the most non-descript and comman. Sometimes, it is not even worthy when compared to the Beaujolais-Villages produced by the major negociants.

However since this Brouilly comes from one of the major producers of crus Brouilly, I thought I'd give it a try.

Further comments will come later after I've tried it.

If anyone has any experience with this particular crus, your comments would be most welcome.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-22-2000).]

- mrdutton - 05-27-2000

The Brouilly has rested..............

It will be chilled and opened today. I plan to serve it with home made hamburgers.

Equal amounts of trimmed chuck and sirloin ground at home and 1/2 tsp kosher salt per pound of meat used. Use 5 ounces per serving. Shape meat into patties. Grill over medium high heat. For medium-rare, cook the burgers 4 minutes on each side. For medium, cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side. Flip the burgers only once during cooking. And, for Pete's sake, don't press them down with the spatula.

Anyother seasoning of spices or sauces belong on the bun, not in the meat.

Tasting notes on the Brouilly will appear tonight or tomorrow. Too bad no one else has any insight for me on this wine.

- Thomas - 05-27-2000

Where's the garlic?

- mrdutton - 05-30-2000

Any other seasonings or spices or sauces belong on the bun, not in the meat.

The garlic went on the bun......... with the butter. Then I applied a slice of pan sauteed, crispy, panchetta (sp?) and a slice of room temperature Saga Blue cheese. Try it, you might like it!

As for the Brouilly........ In order to prevent any pre-conceptions, I did not provide any information about the wine to my brother, who tasted it along with me.

He has never had Brouilly before.

He thought the wine rather Beaujolais-Nouveau like. Fresh, crisp, plenty of fruit but not especially noteworthy. When I first tasted it and then during subsequent sips, I also thought of Beaujolais-Nouveau and Beaujolais-Villages. It was good wine and it went well with the hamburgers and even went well with the shrimp kabobs - peeled before cooking and marinated in lemon juice, oregano and olive oil and grilled on charcoal sprinkled with fresh rosemary leaves.

Would I drink the Brouilly again? Sure would!