WineBoard
Buehler, Napa Valley, White Zinfandel - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rose/Blush/All Pink Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Buehler, Napa Valley, White Zinfandel (/thread-13882.html)

- Innkeeper - 11-25-2001

Had this leftover from Thanksgiving. All we had was red zin and cider drinkers. So, we had a 2000 Buehler, Napa Valley, White Zinfandel ($7.99 NH Liquor store) leftover. So, tonight we had it with grillpaned smoked pork chops and spinach.

Does anyone else know of another Napa Valley White Zinfandel? This one is nice, year in and year out. It weighs in at 11% alcohol and 1.6% RS (residual sugar [sweetness]}. This white zin is very unusual; it tastes like zinfandel. It hits you with a blast of fruit including cherries and strawberries. This easily converts to upfront fruit, followed by a decent complexity and a hint of Napa dirt across the palate. A very nice finish matched splendidly with the sweet pork chops. Will continue to stick with this one. If the kids won't drink it, we will.

- winedope - 11-25-2001

IK-
My palate is not very sophisticated, but I like Beringer's white zin. It is fruity but not overly sweet and generally can be found around here for under $10. WD

- wondersofwine - 11-26-2001

Isn't Sutter Home in the Napa Valley?

- Innkeeper - 11-26-2001

California appellation, as is the Beringer. The Beringer could be the second best WZ, and it is a tad sweeter than the Buehler.

[This message has been edited by Innkeeper (edited 11-26-2001).]

- zenda2 - 11-26-2001

Not from the Napa Valley...but Montevina makes a good one from Amador County. Here's a blurb from their web page:

"Unlike most white zinfandels, Montevina's version is produced entirely from zinfandel grapes, all grown in Amador County. It is relatively dry, and retains much of the distinctive berry character of the grape. It consistently is rated by wine writers and retailers as one of the best white zinfandels on the market"

- winedope - 11-26-2001

it's not from the Napa Valley, but I do have another favorite WZ. It is Sakonnet Vineyard's Eye of the Storm- from right here in RI. Not as sweet as the Beringer.

- wondersofwine - 11-26-2001

Sakonnet makes a nice Riesling too if I'm not mistaken. I had some of their wine at the Nantucket Wine Festival.

- Kcwhippet - 11-27-2001

We have Sakonnet's Eye of the Storm here in our shop, but it's not WZ. It's Chenin Blanc, French Colombard and Vidal Blanc.

Bob

- winedope - 11-27-2001

my mistake!!! As a newbie type I took this fruity blush wine for a white zinfandel, not reading the label completely to find out the components. It does taste like many other WZ's I've had. If you enjoy WZ, this is a nice alternative. Thnaks for the correction.

- whopavely - 12-10-2001

I have never had the pleasure of tasting any Napa Valley wines. I am very young in the wine domaine, but I work at two of the five wineries in Arkansas. At the larger one, Wiederkerhr's, we have a W. Zin that is quiet nice. Its semi dry with a very fruty berry taste for the finish. My boss went to wine college with the guy that developed W. Zin so I here about it frequntly.

- winoweenie - 12-11-2001

Hi Whopavely and welcome to the board. You must mean Bob Trinchero of Sutter Home and the college is UC Davis. WW

- Innkeeper - 12-11-2001

Oh, the shame of it. We set a pink post on fire!

- winoweenie - 12-11-2001

The phrase " went to a wine college wif' a guy that developed white zin " roped me in. WW

- Innkeeper - 01-13-2003

Same situation this holiday season. Found the '01 Buehler in the back of the fridge, again leftover from Thanksgiving. Same dish. Grillpanned smoked pork chops, spinish, and rolls. Was tempted to go down a get a pinot to go with it, but the white zin did just fine. It is bone dry, and gives you lovely floral notes on the nose and tongue tip. A semblance of complexity crosses you palate, and the finish is nice. Got to be just about the best white zin around.

- Georgie - 04-13-2003

Went to Sunday brunch today at the Cranbury Inn, Cranbury, NJ, a nice, historic, old place, and had a bottle of Buehler WZ. We really enjoyed it. We liked it a lot better than the Beringer's we had recently.

- winoweenie - 04-13-2003

The Buehlers' have a great vineyard on the East side of the Silverado trail. Their WZ is a linchpin to their cash flow. They also make a terrific cabernet from estate vineyards, along with the usual varietals. They have been producing some terrific juice since the 78 vintage. WW