WineBoard
Is pink in? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Rose/Blush/All Pink Wines (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-32.html)
+--- Thread: Is pink in? (/thread-13869.html)

Pages: 1 2

- JohnG - 07-17-2002

Pink wine seems to be getting a lot of good press lately (though not on this board, given the date of the last posting). I've avoided it bc of my associations with white zinfandel, but I think that it may be worth a go. Can anyone recommend a good dry rose to start with?

- Botafogo - 07-17-2002

Anything from Spain, Italy or southern France... This is from our last newsletter:

Uh...He said Pink.....that is so cooool!
So, last weekend we were watching a revival of that great art film classic, Beavis and Butthead Do America, on cable and were just dumbfounded to see that somehow all the commercials were for arthritis ointments, adjustable beds, Depends Adult Diapers, Ensure Senior Nutritional Supplement and more of that sort of thing thus completely ignoring the fact that the audience for this film is more likely to be 25 or even 15 than to be a member of the Gray Panthers. This of course immediately brought to mind the countless times we’ve been asked to recommend a big oaky Chardonnay or a 15 percent alcohol Syrah / Zin / Motor Oil blend for a picnic, brunch, Saturday Afternoon Fish Fry or an evening at the Hollywood Bowl, again completely ignoring the context at hand. But, as countless WINE EXPO-isti who have thrown their prejudices in the spit bucket and gotten religion after sipping the Pink Stuff will tell you, NOTHING is such a perfect wine and food match as a crisp, full flavored, DRY Rose served ice cold with platters of prosciutto, zesty shrimp cocktail, cold fried chicken, boiled crawfish, anchovies and olives or even a good old Ballpark Style Hot Dog. Enjoy!

Leverano Rosato 2000, Puglia
Regaleali Rosato Siciliano 1998
These are meatier, earthier, sort of like Pinot Noir Lite.....

Sumarroca Vino Rosado 2000, Penedes Espana
M. Calo Alezio Rosato Mjere ‘98, Puglia
C.U.N.E. Rioja Rosado ‘01, Espana
Brighter fruit, spicier aromas, these are on the prowl for some grilled sausages and aioli.

Cataldi Madonna Cerasuolo Montepulciano d Abruzzo Pie delle Vigne 1998
Valentini Cerasuolo Montepulciano d Abruzzo 1996
You COULD serve these at cellar temp and people would think they were serious reds but why miss out on the refreshment and extra zinging acidity that a medium chill will provide?

Think Pink, it's goooooooooood!

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 07-17-2002).]

- Thomas - 07-17-2002

...what he said...

- zenda2 - 07-17-2002

What they said...and one more dry pink wine that I like a lot, one that you should be able to find almost anywhere is Bonny Doon's Vin Gris de Cigare.

- joeyz6 - 07-17-2002

There are some very nice sparkling rose wines made in Vouvray.

- winoweenie - 07-17-2002

Anything that says Bandol Rose is a SW that's in drag. Lots of beef wif' them dudes. WW

- Scoop - 07-18-2002

A wholehearted second on the Bonny Doon Vin Gris.

It so happens the The New York Times, in its biweekly wine feature last week (the section is described in another, recent posting), focused on the pink. Of the 10 they reported on -- i.e. the 10 that made their final cut -- the Bonny Doon was the consensus favorite (2 and a half stars out of 4 in their rating scale). After reading that feature, and out at a restaurant the next night, my wife and I were in a rose mood. Among the three roses on the list (which included the very consistently good Regaleali mentioned by Roberto), the Vin Gris was there, so we decided to see if the NYT was on the mark. The verdict: it's a pretty darn good wine, with refreshing red berry fruit, faint touches of pepper, adequate acidity and a moderately long finish. And it worked brilliantly with the grilled sardines! So we agreed with Prial, Asimov, Hesser and the guest sommelier this time around.

Continuing with the pink line of thinking, a recent issue of Saveur featured Rosados from Navarra (Spain), where pink is ancient tradition, not an afterthought or marketing gimmick. I happened to find one that Saveur recommended in a local store, Chivite's (sp?) Gran Feuda 2000, so I bought it to try with Foodie, since we were considering another summer rose for Is-Wine. Saveur called it "elegant" and "long"; we found it "initially pleasant" but "simple" and "short". Altogether underwhelming compared with the glowing endorsement from that foodie (not Foodie) bible.

The moral of the story: such features can be good sources for leads on wines to try, especially those with wide distribution, but in the end, trust your own taste buds to confirm (or reject) their pronouncements (that's part of the fun). And report those findings on the Board.

Caveat reader.

Cheers,

Scoop

- winoweenie - 07-18-2002

After reading the posts on this thread I've decided to start a new catagory....SRs'ww [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 07-18-2002

Here's another one. My boss at the shop said to take this one home and try it. Very nice - light and fruity - a real thirst quencher especially tonight. It's 73 F and 88% humidity. Anyway, it's the 2001 Vega Sindoa Rose - 50% Garnacha, 50% Cab Sauv. We have it an sale at $6.99. Gonna bring home some more as a deck wine.

- zenda2 - 07-19-2002

I forgot to mention...Tavel. It's the South Rhone/Provencal Rose' that Bonny Doon Vin Gris more or less imitates. I've seen it priced twice as high as the Bonny Doon, or at the same price point. Go figure.

I'm on a wine sabbatical for the Atkins diet until Wednesday, but have a bottle of Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare up out of the cellar and ready to chill for Wednesday night's supper. All this talk of good pink wine has made me build up quite an appetite.

- zenda2 - 07-24-2002

The Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare was great, just what the doctor ordered. Cool, dry, a nose of ripe strawberry. More please.

- dananne - 07-25-2002

I, too, have decided to spurn the all-too-common aversion to pink (I think many of us are embarassed by the fact that Sutter Home White Zin helped introduce us to wine) and have started exploring rose this summer. I love Bonny Doon's, but I generally like what Grahm puts out. So, I have tried others, including some decent Rhones line Domaine de Verquiere. Next up is King Estate's Vin Gris Pinot Noir. Anyone tried it yet?

- Botafogo - 07-25-2002

We have a customer who two years ago invited fifty people to a 4th of July weekend fish fry at his compound in Montana (hey, some people here got bucks) and insisted that they not bring ANYTHING as he would be doing special wines and foods.

Well, for the previous YEAR he had been amassing six bottles each of over fifty different dry roses from all over the planet, offered nothing else at all to drink and MADE everyone kiss the pink for four days and most of them had epiphanies and still crave it on hot days...

- Scoop - 07-26-2002

I guess that good customer is a real pinko...("You vill drink ze pink, und you vill like it, ja?"). Gotta like those who have a real point to prove, though!

Speaking of rose, I've had several from Sancerre lately (from Satereau and one I can't remember), and they are marvelous: bone dry and herbaceous with delicate strawberry/rasberry fruit. Pinot noir is the grape.

Cheers,

Scoop

[This message has been edited by Scoop (edited 07-26-2002).]

- wondersofwine - 07-26-2002

Good story, Roberto!

- winoweenie - 07-26-2002

Makes my glands salivate jes' thinking of them lovely dudes. See you late nexr week. WW

- Botafogo - 07-26-2002

Verne, I'm a leavin' on a jet plane for Rio on Wednesday morning and will return on the following Tuesday, so I will organize your stuff for pick up and tell the guys....

Roberto

- thewoodman - 07-26-2002

I've been drinking a lot of pinks lately, and have a few generalizations. In general, I think the european are better, more substantial and complex. Many of the californians seem only a step away from white zin, mostly fruity and sweet despite the "dry" on the label. Kind of like cherry 7-up w/o bubbles. The Fife Redhead was quite disappointing, as was Zaca Mesa Z-gris.

The Vega Sindoa is a great QPR favorite, as is the Guigal CdR rose. Domaine Tempier at the high end of the price range is always a good wine. One Caliornian that I really enjoyed was Terre Rouge Vin Gris D'Amador, maybe it's the Mourvedre.

Got a rose tasting planned for next weekend, with a few I haven't had yet, including the Goats do Roam from South Africa, Charles Melton Rose of Virginia, and others. Notes will follow.

- winoweenie - 07-27-2002

Have a great trip Roberto. Next time....Verne

- wondersofwine - 07-29-2002

Scoop,
I was introduced last year to the pleasures of Sancerre whites, roses and reds. I especially like a Cotat Sancerre rouge from Chavignol that looks and tastes more like a rose than a traditional pinot noir. It did have strawberry/raspberry notes. I am currently drinking some white wines but will have another bottle of the Chavignol and a Villa Mt. Eden pinot noir before summer ends.