WineBoard
2007 Bernard Baudry Chinon "Les Granges" - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Loire Wines/Varieties/Chenin Blanc (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: 2007 Bernard Baudry Chinon "Les Granges" (/thread-13764.html)

Pages: 1 2

- VouvrayHead - 07-12-2009

$20, 12.5% abv
I really like this wine.
tart, slightly sour cherries, mixed with dried herbs and freshly turned earth. High acidity, nice balance. Drinks great now, would certainly hold-up for a few years.
Went well with quinoa flour linguini with gadzooks (those ribbed Italian Zucchini) in a tomato-based sauce spiced with peppers and herbs (basil and oregano) from the garden.
Life is very good.

- Thomas - 07-13-2009

Next week I'm invited to a blind tasting that will pit Finger Lakes Cabernet Franc alongside CF from the rest of the world.

If Flakes wines can emulate the Chinon style, which some do, it ought to be an interesting experiment.

As for the garden, this is the time of year I come alive. Walking around the property to select and pick for dinner is indeed a trip.

- VouvrayHead - 07-13-2009

That CF tasting sounds really interesting. I'd love to hear your thoughts after the tasting. I've only had a couple of FL Cab Franc. Not a fan of either, but a very small sample size [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

We're only doing container gardening this year, but it's doing great. I'm looking forward to having a big yard in which to garden, but that's several years away in all likelyhood.

- Thomas - 07-13-2009

Vouvrayhead,

You'd faint if you saw what my wife and I are doing on our property. I nearly faint each afternoon, after having put in the hours it takes to keep up with everything; but then, we eat the stuff and oh, boy...

We've got 50 tomato plants (four types), 40 pepper plants (hot and sweet), 30 okra (purple and green), 20 bean (5 different beans), about 50 fennel (for seeds and for bulbs), 50 onion, 50 leeks, 30 shallots, just picked whatever garlic I could get from originally 100 bulbs(most ruined by rain in June), a half dozen eggplant, a dozen ogan melons (Israeli melons, next best thing to a Persian melon), cucumbers, pumpkins, 15 Brussels sprouts, thyme, basil, bay leaf, parsley, lavender, chamomile, mint, oregano, lemon balm, lemon verbana, bohrum (sp) and many different greens for salads. Plus, we grow four types of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, Queen Anne cherries (lost most of them to rain, too), Italian plums, Bartlett pears, two types of apples, four fig trees, and one olive tree (it's in a pot, for novelty).

Whew! I'm sure I forgot a few...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-13-2009).]

Wow! Sounds incredible. That's pretty similar to what I'd like to have down the road. You've planted many of my favorites.

In the past, I've bought small plants, but this year we did nearly everything from seed, starting them in our sunny bedroom windows.

We have 4 tomato plants (2 each of San Marzano and tumbling toms), 2 tomatillo (I make some wicked salsa I've dubbed "Green Dragon"), 6 Thai bird, 3 Habanero, 3 Poblano, and 3 Pasillo Bajio. We did Lime basil this year to go along with the Itlaian and Thai (Made a mojito-esque concotion with some lime basil that was tasty). Also, oregano, rosemary, chives, thyme, sage, English lavender and lemongrass. Just finished snow peas and are going to plant spinach and lettuce for fall harvest soon. Also have seeds for gai-lan, chard, and bok choy we're going to put in as soon as it cools a bit. The greens are/will be in long, thin tubs and pretty much everything else is in its own pot.

Our back porch is quite a jungle right now [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

It's not bad for container-only! I have to admit, my wife gets most of the credit.

- Kcwhippet - 07-13-2009

Foodie, Being the super gardener I know you are, I'm sure you don't have the sweet peppers next to the hot ones. I did that once many, many years ago and it's amazing how tangy the sweet peppers can get.

- Thomas - 07-13-2009

KC,

I don't mind them rubbing off a little...we do have a strange situation where two or three of the pepper plants seem to be shriveling after having produced peppers. I'm looking into it.

Vouvray, I forgot the asparagus, and we have finished the peas, too. Also have rosemary, sage, cilantro, tomatillo.

We've got the foods spread out all over the place (it's one of my plans to eliminate mowing area [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] ). And, we have the greenhouse, which really is one of the best ideas we have ever had--gave such a head start on starting seeds as well as the ability to eat vegetables before summer even began and having salad greens all through winter--it's unheated, no electrics, just solar panels to cool it in summer.

Maybe we need a food forum for this stuff.

Don't know about your area, but we have a horrible Japanese beetle problem in NY. I spend an hour every day removing at least 100 each day into a jar of water. I particularly like getting them when they are in coital position. I read that they reproduce 500 for every one beetle. So each day, I eliminate a potential 50,000 of them.

One way to get rid of them is to have no grass lawns at all--that's where the larvae winter over.

I've threatened to pour concrete over the remaining lawn areas.

Great. Asparagus. I'm even more jealous [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

We haven't seen a single japanese beetle, but my folks in the suburbs have had a lot of problems with them this year.

There are a lot of beetles in the front and side, but the back is totally free of them. His cure? 4 chickens!!!

The St Louis Buff Orpingtons: Turning Japanese Beetles into eggs since 2009

- Thomas - 07-13-2009

If I could warm up to them, I might consider getting chickens. But I have a feeling that they would become more work and trouble than they'd be worth.

I know that chickens are a great help with growing food--not only do they eat grubs and insects, they give over good fertilizer.

It's so rural here that we would need an elaborate set up to keep the foxes (and our own dog) from getting at the helpless, goofy birds that can neither fly nor run fast enough.

Along with being good meat for fox, they make a great source for sage chicken breast Milanese...

My folks live right on the edge of a farm, so they have to watch out for foxes, coyote and raccoons, but so far, so good! They roam during the day, but at night they are in a dog run we put up.
They're sweet (but, as you said, dumb)little birds (personality-wise, I mean... Not flesh).
Their fertilizer will sit this winter and go on the pumpkin patch next year.

- hotwine - 07-13-2009

Interesting thread, guys. We're not growing anything this year.... too danged hot.

Saw a coyote traling a neighbor who was walking his dogs this morning.... kind of unnerved him.

- Kcwhippet - 07-13-2009

Yeah, we didn't plant this year either....too danged wet. The ground never dried out enough to be able to get any veggies planted in a timely manner. However, the horseradish and the rhubarb are doing great.

- Thomas - 07-13-2009

Hell, wet indeed. I already lost the garlic, cherries, and half the strawberries, but things have dried out. Now, it's not hot enough! And the potato bugs showed up today, a little late actually. The J. beetle group was quite large today--got about 200 plus on my rounds.

Tiresome, until harvest!

Hotwine, a few years ago, while walking my dog, two coyote come ambling out of the woods and walk across our path. They never even looked at us, but my dog looked at them, and he was not amused. He froze dead in his tracks, knowing full well who would win the fight. Come to think of it, I froze with him, until they were on the other side of the road and out of sight.

Only time I ever saw them, but we hear them at night howling down the hill from us-drives the dog to distraction.

- hotwine - 07-13-2009

I hadn't seen or heard one around here in some time, and had ever seen one around here in full daylight, at 0845. The neighbor's three dogs that were being walked stayed real quiet, but all the others up and down the street were going nuts. Keeping a shotgun handy.

- dananne - 07-13-2009

We've got coyotes in the timber at our MO farm. Actually, at night you can hear several dens from all around (and/or on) our property. Foxes all over, too. We'll have to be careful when we get goats, sheep, and chickens.

Speaking of which, our 1st 3 chickens are coming this week! Anne is thrilled. I'm wondering if our in-town Atlanta neighbors will be less so . . .

- winoweenie - 07-13-2009

All I can say is I'm LIVID wif' envy. So far I've managed to kill 48 tomatoe plants, 27 different types of basil, assorted other spices, and sundry other things I was assured would grow under the most trying of situations here in the desert. Added up, I could have bought a lifetime supply of all the above from the gardeners store and still pocketed about 482 bucks. Known locally as " Ole brown-thumb WW

- Kcwhippet - 07-13-2009

WW, I'm surprised you're able to grow anything at all. Heard on the news this morning that your temps today are supposed to reach 116 F!!! Talk about totally surreal!

- winoweenie - 07-14-2009

As usual them TV dudes exaggerate more than a carpet salesman 'Twere only a modest 114*. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 07-14-2009

There is a crop that grows rather well in that climate--WW, you can get your $482 back in one two-hour workday [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-14-2009).]

- Kcwhippet - 07-14-2009

Carpet salesman exaggerate?? I find that hard to believe!!!