WineBoard
Domaine Henri Bourgeois La Porte du Caillou 2003 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: TASTING NOTES & WINE SPECIFIC FORUMS (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-200.html)
+--- Forum: Loire Wines/Varieties/Chenin Blanc (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-26.html)
+--- Thread: Domaine Henri Bourgeois La Porte du Caillou 2003 (/thread-13701.html)

- Thraz - 10-28-2004

$15, purchased 10/04.
Nice floral nose. Yoghurty mineral taste, which I love (note the unorthodox description - my knowledge of wine is anything but advanced, so if you know a better term please help). However, the acidity was slithtly more than I like. So, question to the board: does acidity weaken with aging in Sancerre (or in any other white wine)? I thought this wine was really good but for this apparent imbalance, and good enough that I might just buy a case to try and improve my knowledge (or lack thereof) of the effect of aging on Sancerre.

- Thomas - 10-28-2004

Thraz,

Two things:

1. Acidity never weakens; it can't. It's there and can't go away. But what does happen is that the wine's components meld. If they meld well, the acid seems to soften as other components come to the fore. If they meld badly, the acid could be more dominant and the wine is ruined.

2. 2003 was particulalry hot in Europe. If a wine from that vintage shows a lot of acid now, odds are the melding will be on the negative side. Most wines in that vintage show less acidity than normal because the grapes came in much riper than normal. In fact, whatever 2003 Sancerre I have tasted I have not liked for lack of character (read as snappy acidity).

- Thraz - 10-29-2004

Thanks Foodie. This is the second 2003 Sancerre I have tasted, the other was from Christian Salmon. Too much acidity for my taste too, and for the Salmon I had a point of reference, I really loved the 2002. I have not had the 2002 Bourgeois though.

- wondersofwine - 10-29-2004

In general 2002 was supposed to be an outstanding vintage in that area. I was not thrilled with a 2002 Delaporte I tried but will look for others. I'm enjoying several bottles of 2000 Lucien Crochet Sancerre Le Chene if you can find that one still on the market. (Carolina Wine Company may still have it www.carolinawine.biz) if Pennsylvania is a reciprocal shipping state.
However, you may find something else to try locally. I, like Foodie, look for crisp acidity in Loire Sauvignon Blanc. For a lusher taste, look for Blind River Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough District, New Zealand.

- Thomas - 10-29-2004

Thraz,

You have me confused. I haven't tasted them, but the Salmon 2002 likely had more natural acidity than the 2003, by virtue of the vintages.

Perhaps, the 2003 wines you tasted simply are out of balance or--perish the thought--the winemakers meant to fix the low acid 2003 with some additions of acid and screwed up.

- Thraz - 10-30-2004

Perish the thought indeed - at least, I hope. I thought the 2002 Salmon had just the right zing, but the 2003 overdid it for me, as did the Bourgeois. I do like a bit of acidity and am generally not a great fan of NZ SB, so I will hope that my next purchases are more representative of 2003... I did find the Crochet le Chene, although it was the 2002, I will try that soon.