WineBoard
Dinner - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Dinner (/thread-1369.html)

- lizpaul - 02-27-2003

What would you recommend to go with Quiche Lorraine?

- hotwine - 02-27-2003

Welcome to the board. I'd choose a French Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire region - a Sancerre. My favorite is the Dom. de la Rossignole, about $18, served chilled to about 45F.

- Innkeeper - 02-27-2003

The SB from Loire would work. My choice would be a Pinot Gris (Tokay) from Alsace. The reasoning behind this, other than the fact that it is a good match, is that the ancient provence of Lorraine is covered with this grape. There they refer to it as the Gris de la Lorraine. The quiche comes from there too.

- mrdutton - 03-02-2003

What do you drink with quiche when it is made with anchovies? Doesn't traditional quiche lorraine call for anchovies?

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 03-02-2003).]

- Thomas - 03-02-2003

Mr. D, don't worry about such things; real men don't eat quiche...

- joeyz6 - 03-02-2003

Quiche Lorraine has ham, not anchovies. Quiche isn't normally made (here) with anchovies. But sometimes it is made with smoked salmon.

- lizpaul - 03-02-2003

The quiche in my French recipe book also uses bacon. When I was in France I only had quiche with ham.

[This message has been edited by lizpaul (edited 03-02-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 03-03-2003

Ham and beacon are the most common bases for quiche and all the above recommendations will go with either. Quiche can also be made with myriad different ingredients. In addition to my favorite salted fish, you can use onions, spinach, pepperoni, and almost anything you would find on pizza.

- Drew - 03-04-2003

Hey IK, I think ham and beacon quiche is called the "Lighthouse Special" in your neck of the woods. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- hotwine - 03-04-2003

Goes well with Searchlight Cab.

- Kcwhippet - 03-04-2003

Oh, too brutal.

- Auburnwine - 03-04-2003

Dang. Never seen so many folks who so readily quiche and tell.

I look at onions, peppers, cilantro (maybe a tad of chorizo) and queso blanco (in lieu of cream). Serve it with a good, homemade salsa.

I have a friend from Egypt who works dates into her egg dishes. Imagine that with a bit of Stilton! Now that could be something dandy.

I like bubbly with my quiche, since I usually face it as it a Sunday breakfast special.

[This message has been edited by Auburnwine (edited 03-04-2003).]

- Innkeeper - 03-04-2003

Thanks for changing the subject while I kept my cool Auburn. Fully concur with your bubbly with quiche brunch.

- mrdutton - 03-04-2003

My grandmother used to make quiche with bacon, ham and she topped it off with anchovies.

She called it quiche lorraine.......... and said that the recipe came her way from an old friend who was the wife of a French Army Colonel........

So I've always assumed that that was the traditional way to make quiche lorraine......

I like the sound of the combination with the queso blanco instead of cream. That sounds good!

- joeyz6 - 03-06-2003

Alright all, I have asked around and can settle this, at least according to contemporary standards (but I doubt that the recipe for Quiche Lorraine has changed much over the last century).
A traditional Quiche Lorraine does in fact have both ham and bacon (lardon as they say here), in addition to the normal ingredients like the crust, eggs, etc. It does not have anchovies.
Quiche IS made with anchovies sometimes,k but then it's not called Quiche Lorraine.

- lizpaul - 03-06-2003

My understanding was that lardon was bacon.

- wondersofwine - 03-06-2003

Thanks for clearing that up Joey. I enjoy a variety of quiches including the spinach or Florentine variety, but can't stand anchovies.

- joeyz6 - 03-06-2003

Lizpaul, "lardon" is actually a little different than what we call bacon. In fact, what we call bacon in English is also called "bacon" in French. "Lardon" is a different cut of meat that comes in cubes as opposed to strips. In any case, the normal ingredient for quiche lorraine is lardon, not bacon, but I think bacon is a fine substitute.

- Innkeeper - 03-06-2003

Lardons are not made with smoked pork. They are made from what we call salt pork in the U.S. that is not salted. To replicate them here you cut salt pork into narrow strips and inch or so long. Then boil the salt out of them for five minutes or so. Dry on paper towels and fry until crisp. Viola, lardons.