WineBoard
how about the greeks - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: how about the greeks (/thread-13654.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Casta - 05-24-2000

i have not been able to find any open topics or forums for greek wine, and before i consider this a disservice to the industry, I request that you direct me to any information that is available

- Thomas - 05-24-2000

You can enter questions or comments in any of the categories on the board and when no category exists--like for Greek wines--go to the "Wines Without Category" and post there.

Generally, the board is used for questions, answers and comments. This is not a general wine information site with pre-written text. For that you must surf the Net.

Hey, where are the moderators to cover all this stuff?....

- Casta - 05-29-2000

looks like you love this board -
you're all over the place

- Innkeeper - 05-29-2000

My God, I thought your said, How about the geeks!

- winoweenie - 05-30-2000

You Called Innkeeper? Oh yeah Costa, the simplest way to experience Greek wines is the find a small piece of Retsin, buy a bottle ( Box ) of sissy white of your choice, Drop the stuff in, shake violently, let stand for 10 days in the sun...VOILA! Greek wine Winoweenie

- Casta - 05-30-2000

I take that offensively wineowinnie, but I can tell you may have limited experience with the savatiano grape variety.

You know, I have little experience with Greek wines, and was hoping to hear some thoughts out there. I under the impression that this is the place where the craze got started, and that most grape varieties known today have their origins from the assytiko variety. I strongly recommend it, if you can find it.

- Thomas - 05-30-2000

Casta, I am unfamiliar with their grape names, but when I visited Greece I tasted some of the best white wines in the world--the ones that do not seem to get exported. Wines from Rhodes, Samos and Athens were superior products. White wines namede Rhodos, Lindos and Pellini come to mind.

I hope to rectify this situation when I open my shop in Manhattan in the fall, and I hope to change opinions like winoweenie's.

Casta me Man, you`re taking my reply`s too personally. Offended! Believe me my friend when I try to offend you, you darned sure will know it. Guess you didn`t take my original post to you to heart. That`s when you were going to lead all us dummies out of the darkness and into a brave new world of personal ratings. Again, as a newcomer to this board, try to analyze a little bit of the divergant personalities we`re blessed with, and also the mass of knowledge that`s available here. You`ve missed the point that I`m a red wine drinker...exclusively, by choice. When I chide Innkeeper or MrD or Buckoabout some white wine question, it`s done tongue-in-cheek. Winoweenie

Foodie, about your question " Where are the moderators? " I guess you don`t know that Our Curmy ( The Wine Curmudgeon ) Died. He not only moderated this site but most of the others on this board.I have made lots of postings in the last 2 weeks about this. Winoweenie

- Scoop - 05-30-2000

I, too, had a very good experience with Greek wines in Greece (and have had in NYC, too). Bold reds from the North (Cotes de Meliton and Naoussa) and Nemea, delicious whites from Crete and Santorini (amazing viticulture practiced there in near-arid conditions) and, of course the dessert wines from Samos (Muscat) and the Mavrodaphne (sic) de Patras (a red dessert wine). And most of these come from native, ancient grape varieties. Quality wine-making has been on the rise in recent years: Greece, with its diverse micro-climates and sun -- not to mention history --is a country wine lovers should not ignore.

Cheers,

Scoop

- Thomas - 05-30-2000

Winoweenie, I was referring to the other moderators: Bucko and whomever. I'm one of the "kids" but have not been a moderator here. Incidentally, we need to find a way to keep both the Trader and the kids going.

Re, red wine only: what do you drink with your veal Milanese dish or your Maryland soft shell crabs or your Linguine with clam sauce?

I'm gonna send Willie Gluckstern to your door--that'll learn ya!

I drank beer with my soft shell crab sandwich I had in Maryland with my daughter.As far as Veal dishes, love a mature (15-year-old ) Calif cab or an occassional older merlot. They be wunnerful. Winoweenie

- mrdutton - 05-30-2000

Soft shell crabs, hard shell crabs.

I've been eating them till I am blue in the face...............

I am now on a rampage around the Virginia Beach and Norfolk area looking for "The PERFECT Soft Shell Crab Sandwich".

I drink iced tea with a bit of lemon, slightly sweetened or a glass of beer, with no apologies.

And to try and stay on topic, I am afraid that I am of no great help on the subject of Greek Wines. Last time I was in Greece I was too young to think about appreciating fine wines from different countries.

All that I was interested in was a good buzz from Ouzo and ..................... After all I was a sailor........ of sorts.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 05-30-2000).]

- Drew - 05-30-2000

Two good types of Maryland iced tea. One mixed with lemonaid...the other with a little fresh picked mint!

Drew hon!

- Randy Caparoso - 05-31-2000

Had some lovely, if edgy, wines in a fabulous Greek restaurant called Milos in Manhattan last year.

But I can't help thinking: Was it a coincidence that the Greek civilization was soon surpassed by that of the Romans'? Must have been the wine. I recently read that when Pompeii was buried, there were something like 200 wine bars lost to the world. And truly, no Greek wine then or now could be described, in the words of Trimalchio in Petronius's Satyricon: "Falernian from the year of Opimius's consulship, a hundred years in the bottle... Alas that wine should live longer than we wretched men!" Dose Italians!

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 05-30-2000).]

- Thomas - 05-31-2000

Randy, being an Italian too, and having just completed a book about wine history, I can say without hesitation that, since 121BC (Opimion year) it seems to have gone downhill for Greek wine. Yet, before 121BC the elite Romans drank mostly Greek wine. Before Rome, the Italic peoples drank milk and it was the Greeks who taught them how to produce wine; it was the Greeks who taught the Romans how to dine.

Moving forward, Pompeii truly was a wine capital. The wine bars had large amphorae set in wide holes cut into a counter. People stepped up to the bar and the bartender drew wine from the amphora by swiveling the big monster thing on the counter and then dipping in. In those days, the price of wine in Pompeii was more costly than a night with a prostitute.

- Thomas - 05-31-2000

Two days ago I had soft shell crabs with Sancerre. Last night I had soft shell crabs with Chardonnay. Both times--happy me! I loce s.s. crab.

Take no offense winoweenie, but anyone who drinks Merlot with veal Milanese by-passes his taste buds....

- Thomas - 05-31-2000

Who the hell put a c next to a v on the keyboard? LOVE

- Scoop - 05-31-2000

It is also true, Randy, that the chief grape for "Falernian" wine, was/is Aglianico (sp?), a grape of Greek origin!

Cheers,

Scoop

- Innkeeper - 05-31-2000

Always thought that Santorini and other Greek Isle Wines tasted so good because of the time, place, sea, food, women, etc., they were consumed with. Do they hold up with anything other than highly sauced, oily fish when you take them off island?