WineBoard
Geekdom - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Geekdom (/thread-13615.html)

- Thomas - 08-06-2004

I discovered something last night at a dinner with someone who posts on another wine board.

He claims, and I believe it, that producers, marketing people, even distributors and importers lurk these wine boards to find out what we are saying about their products and then they feed that into their plans.

In other words, they use the boards as a free focus group. Some, he also claims, use it as a means to activate email offers, et al. We are all familiar with those who plant shills on this board to hype their products and services.

Not sure if this makes me want to pan all wines just for the fun of it, or fawn over all wines just to confuse them!!!

There are times when I do tire of being marketed to all day long...

- Drew - 08-06-2004

You know...who cares??? I listen to the many on this board and some on others and decide on my own what and what not to buy. Ifn they want to post my notes and use me, so be it. I've already got a supply of what I like before I post anywhos.... [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

Drew

- californiagirl - 08-06-2004

I agree Drew! Although, if I had the $$ and the storage- my supply might be a little larger!

- Thomas - 08-07-2004

Drew, I agree--I really don't care. There isn't a salesperson or marketer in the world who can make me buy something I don't want. Drives my wife crazy because she is the opposite--I have to hide the credit cards...

Yet, I simply get tired of our culture of marketing. Makes it hard to believe what anybody says.

- Drew - 08-07-2004

So right you are, Foodie...what ever happened to integrity?

Drew

- winoweenie - 08-07-2004

She left town with that yokel " Honesty ". They made a darling pair at the altar. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- californiagirl - 08-07-2004

foodie- it's out there everywhere! Just like when one shops at a membership discount club, or even a grocery chain that requires a card! They use that info gained from the use of the card as marketing tools. Unfortunately, it's hard to escape.

- Kcwhippet - 08-07-2004

I fill the recycle bin with all the stuff we get from those folks. If I open 10% of what comes in it would surprise me.

- Thomas - 08-07-2004

KC, I switched from mail delivery to my rural box to a PO Box. At least, I can throw the junk out at the post office, where they nicely proved a bin for it. But you know, I am not just talking about email and regular mail marketing, or even telemarketing, although I hate that the most.

I was once invited to a party and found out after I got there that it was a marketing and networking affair...ugh! I ran out of there so fast I left the wine that I brought and they did not deserve.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-07-2004).]

- winoweenie - 08-07-2004

Even tho I'm on the " Do not call list" I still ocassionally get a marketing call. The most impressive tool I've found to discourage these idiots is when they ask me is this Mr. Batchelor and I ask who's calling and they tell me I say he's on the other line and please hold. I then set the phone down and open another bottle of wine. Ususally after 5 minutes I see the light go out and know them suckers done give up. Don't get too many return calls. WW

- Thomas - 08-08-2004

WW, I don't pick up the phone--best use on answering machines I can imagine is as a screening device. And now that my Internet server screens email for me, many of the hucksters just can't reach me.

- wondersofwine - 08-09-2004

What screener do you use on your comptuer, Foodie? Is it the Internet provider or a purchased program?

- Thomas - 08-09-2004

WOW, you missed it: I posted that my Internet server (provider) screens the email, not I.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 08-09-2004).]

- buradayam - 08-09-2004

WW!
You took MY idea. I was formerly a dentist getting many cold calls. When they were able to get through my sec, I would tell them I wanted to speak with them privately and to hold on. Course, I never came back to the phone, but simply hung up when I heard that loud noise it makes to remind one to hang up. Course that would get my sec crazy even tho we had 3 lines
BUT, my favorite story is 1 day my sec had to leave early. Since my last pt was a male, I told her to go ahead. Phone rings while Im waiting for the last pt. Guy says he is the one who supplies paper for my copier but he lost the model number. I told him I couldnt see it. He said look in back of it. I said i still couldnt see it. He got upset and told me to look under it at the bottom. I said nope. Just then, I saw my pt driving into the lot, so I told the guy that maybe the reason that I could not see the model number was because I did not have a copy machine. He got angry and demended why I wasted his time. THAT was when I decided the worst you can do to these people was to waste time. Quickly hanging up only helps them get on to the next victim

- Thomas - 08-09-2004

That "paper for the copier" is an old trick the b****rds use to send you reams and a large bill, or a large bill and no reams--not sure which--but always a large bill...

I can never understand people who give any information out on the phone especially if they did not initiate the phone call.