WineBoard
where are the personal taste ratings? (reds) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: where are the personal taste ratings? (reds) (/thread-13614.html)

- Casta - 05-23-2000

I have been looking for wine ratings all over the place and I assure you this has been hard to find. Personally, my liking is for the red varieties, so I would like to make this the thread where we can discuss more of our personal notes. Let me be the first one to assure everyone that:
'the best wine is that which invites another' since our preferences may differ, but all things being equal, we love to give our personal opinions - so I have found out all over this site.
First the rules:
1. One rating per message
2. Scale is 1-10 (10 being the highest)
3. Try to list as much info about the wine as you can.
4. Rules can be created or eliminated subject to convenience.
5. Let's try to keep the format: name - year - region - country of origin - rating
6. You were not forced to be here, so if you do not like it, you do not need to stay.

Fair enough?

My top choice - of course, comes from the Riojas:
Tinto Pesquera - 1992 - Reserva del Duero - Spain - 9.5

- Drew - 05-23-2000

Casta, first of all, Welcome to this board, I'm sure you'll enjoy and learn from all the expertise contained here. I'm still pretty much a "newbie" and I extract information from all sources and try to apply what I've read to my tastes. Maybe it might be better if you just "ride along" for a while and see where it takes you. Setting parameters and rules when first entering the game might just not be appropriate.

Drew

- Thomas - 05-24-2000

Casta, the Rants and Raves section is mainly for those of us who have a particularly annoying problem and want to vent--a wine-related problem, that is.

You can place your ratings on this board in the specific fields for regions and wines. For instance, look through the board and you will find a section dedicated to Spanish wines; there, you can post anything you want about the wonderful Tinto Pesquera that I happen to agree with you on, but why did you post "my top choice, of course...?" Does that mean you like only Spanish wines?

- winoweenie - 05-24-2000

I too welcome you Costa to the board and also want to second the opinion that until you are acclimated and somewhat familiar with the various personalitiesand wine-savvy of the group, you mite be best served to read and absorb the posts.I`ve been an avid wine-drinker for 40 years and am still amazed by the inordinate amount of knowledge AND sometimes common-sense that turns up on these pages. Goes to prove you can teach an ole dog new lables. Winoweenie

- winoweenie - 05-24-2000

P.S. If you think the 92 Tinto is a 9.5 we just had a 75 and 85 last week. They would have to be an 11.Winoweenie

- Casta - 05-24-2000

Ok, I heard my share, and will admit that after reading my post for this topic, it sounds too formal. I am pretty sure we all come here to relax, so no harm done.

75 and 85 Pesqueras must have been something special - where do you find these winoweenie? I find it hard to believe anyone is able to keep these for such a long time. 92 was just a great year. I've tried the 80's but haven't had a chance to get a hold of any in the 70's.

Yes, I do love the spanish wines.

- Casta - 05-24-2000

foodie,

unfortunately I was unable to find much on spanish, or reds in the corresponding section

- Bucko - 05-28-2000

I personally have a real aversion to rating wines -- I prefer to just describe the wine. For one, ratings are very subjective and have no value if you do not agree with the rater. Two, I challenge anyone to numerically rate five wines blind, then mix up the glasses and have them rate the same wines again and get within one point on all wines -- fun to observe the results. Three, ratings are a death knell to 89 point wines. We tend to have a mind set that 90 is good, anything else is akin to failure. If you don't believe it, ask the retailers who deal with people coming into the shop with ratings sheets from Wine Spectator or Wine Advocate et al. They want 90+ wines, while a very good 89 point wine languishes on the shelf. But, my opinion and $2.50 will get you a Latte.....

Bucko

- winecollector - 05-28-2000

You bring out some good points on the 100 point rating system Bucko! I've never been a fan of it- I prefer a 1 to 10 rating system if your going to use any at all. Too many times I've seen ratings in W.S. where they talk about wines rated in the 70's range that have major defects to them. If a 1 to 10 scale was used however, those same wines would probably rate around a "4". I think it's very misleading!

Your also right about the 89 point wines sitting on the shelf. I regularly see the big W.S. tags on bottles here in PA. There's a 97' Chilean Merlot that sells for under $10, Santa Alica, and its got one of those big tags on it rated at 87 points. Except for the several bottles I've purchased, the rest haven't been touched! Oh well, at least I know if I run out at home, I won't have any problem getting more!

Though the rating system has its flaws, I have to admit that I will not dismiss it completely. It's too widely used. I guess we can all decide individually if we want to thank or blame Mr Parker for this one!

- Catch 22 - 05-29-2000

Beware those cute little shelf tags! I can't speak for elsewhere, but around here, those tags are used by virtually every liquor store, from the small corner store to the huge supermarket type. In every store, you will find that many tags refer to previous vintages of the wine on which they are posted. For example, the tag hanging in front of the 1998 Blackstone Merlot will show a rating of 89 in large print, but if you read the tag, the 89 rating is for the 1996 vintage. If you do use these tags as a guide, be careful.

- Thomas - 05-29-2000

Let me refrain from truly weighing in on ratings and just say that I agree with Bucko.

But--a big but--until we become a wine-consuming culture (and we aren't even close to close) ratings will be around in one form or another; they build careers, sell magazines and sell wine. After all, we remain a horse-race mentality culture; just look at how elect politicians....what's his/her rating today--I better vote for that one, everyone else is.

- Casta - 05-29-2000

I have to admit that ratings are a pain. The one great thing about it, though, is that if you are not particularly familiar between a choice of wines, you WILL be inclined to go for the better review/rating all other things being fair and equal. Also, you may be able to find a gem in your holdings.
This past week brought me great pleasure -
1) Borgo Tesis - 1998 - Merlot - Italy - 8.5: this is a very affordable Merlot and I found it to be very fruity for this type of wine. It had some sparkle to it, which makes me think that two years of wait would not hurt it.
2) Marques de Murrieta Ygay - 1993 - Rioja - Spain - 9: This is just one of my favorite everyday wines.
3) Castillo Ygay - 1987 - Rioja - Spain - 9: I anticipated this to be a much superior wine than the former, but was surprised to see that Castillo keeps them consistent, regardless a very nice red that was worth the wait but could just as easily be kept a few more years.

- winecollector - 05-30-2000

I found a bottle of the 91' Marques de Murrieta Ygay down in the cellar that I forgot I had. Any idea what I should expect? I've never had a white Rioja before. What type of food should I pair it with?

- winoweenie - 05-30-2000

Costa, I put the 75 Tinto down in 79 and the 85 in 88. They have been in my cellar since release.I try a bottle every year to monitor their progress.( Along with the other stuff in there) Bucko, you are rite on about WS and Big Bob. I only buy what I personally like and don`t give a doodly-squat about ratings. See`n how I pays the bills , the juice has to pass muster with my quirky taste. Some of the greatest wines I`ve ever had were rated in the 80` by them there esperts.Winoweenie

- Randy Caparoso - 05-30-2000

Bucko and Casta: The dear, departed Curmudgeon once pointed this out to me -- there is virtually no difference between a 10 point system, a 20 point system, or a 100 point system. 9 out of 10 is like a 90, as is a 18 out of 20.

The only reason we entered into that discussion in the first place is that I contended (and still do) that wine quality is not quantifiable as such. A wine that "rates" an 80 can very well taste much better than a wine that rates a 95, given a wine drinker's personal taste, as well as any number of circumstances (food, company, time, place, occasion, et al.). Of course, Curms made the very good point that if he didn't use ratings, few people would pay attention to his reviews!

No wonder few people read ME! Oh well. At least my conscience is clean, and my self-respect intact.