WineBoard
Looks like all of 'dem posters - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Looks like all of 'dem posters (/thread-13609.html)

Pages: 1 2

- winoweenie - 06-23-2005

be on vacation. I've never seen such a dearth of posts on the board as the last few days. Is Bucko deleting posts that refer to his legs agin'? WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- dananne - 06-23-2005

Well, with the intent to spark at least some discussion, I realize that we've just passed the midway point in '05. With that in mind, here are some questions:

1. What was the best wine you've had so far this year?

2. What was the best bargain wine?

3. What are you most looking forward to drinking between now and the end of the year?

I'll start:

Best wine is either the '01 or '02 Penner-Ash Pinot Noirs or the '01 Martinelli Bondi Home Ranch Water Trough Vineyard Pinot Noir.

Best bargain wine is the '01 Daniel Gehrs Santa Barbara Pinot Noir that Anne bought in San Diego for $14. I was special ordering previous vintages here in Atlanta when I couldn't find them anywhere and paying $30 a pop. Runner-ups actually would be Hardy's Whiskers Blake Tawny Port for $13 and the Gruet Blanc de Noirs for $14. Good bangs for the buck there, even if they're not "new discoveries."

The wine I'm most looking forward to drinking this year is an '02 Patricia Green Hirsch Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir. If I get weak with waiting, I may pop a Vieux Telegraphe from the late '90s, even if they're not quite ready yet.

- hotwine - 06-23-2005

This time of year, I'm prone to drinking the cellar, rather than trying new stuff.... it's just too hot to trust shippers to keep the juice cool in transit. So it's wines bought over the past winter and spring, for the most part: Tommasi Pinot Grigio, Villa Rossa Barolo, Vina Albali Gran Reserva, Rucas Barolo, Roari Amarone, Serres Gran Reserva, Roriz Altano, Lincourt PN....

As to Dan's 3 questions:
1. The best this year: tough call, lots of good stuff. Probably the Villa Rossa would get the nod.

2. Best bargain: same as #1.

3. Which am I looking forward to trying this year? Probably a '95 Ch. Lagrange. Maybe. Or maybe not.

- wondersofwine - 06-23-2005

1. Hard to pick one wine. Contenders would be the 2002 Gary Farrell Pinot Noir, the Merry Edwards Pinot Noir (not sure of vintage without looking it up), 2002 Digioia-Royer Chambolle Musigny, and 2002 J.J. Christoffel-Erben Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Auslese*.

2. Bargain wine is the Baroja Rincon Rioja Seleccion (Spain) at under $10.

3. I look forward to drinking a 1999 Torii Mor Deux Verres Pinot Noir.

- Kcwhippet - 06-23-2005

Totally tough questions.

1. I like so many wines that the best wine I've had is usually the last one I've had. Recently though it's probably a toss up between the 2002 Radio-Coteau Hellenthal Sonoma Coast PN and the 2003 Loring Naylor Dry Hole Vyd PN (sorry Bucko).

2. Since I work in a wine shop I get some tremendous bargains. I pay 10% over invoice and those of you who were at the FL event last year may remember the 1987 Guigal Hermitage I brought. Retail is $65 and I got it for $11.20.

3. Haven't decided yet, but I'm looking forward to trying a few of the 1997 Napa Cabs in the cellar before the year is out.

- TheEngineer - 06-23-2005

Strange year cuz, my most memorable wines have been whites.....even though I'm moving quickly through some nice reds from nice vintages

(1) favourite wine opened this year: hows about one each of red, white, and a sticky
- white: 1998 Gravner Ribolla
- red: 1999 Compte Armand Pommard Clos des Epeneaux, 1er Cru Monopole
- Sticky: 2001 Rieussec Sauternes

(2) best value wine:
No doubt here
- White: 2003 Dr. Loosen Riesling (screwcap) $9.99
- Red: 2002 Las Rocas de San Alejandro, Garnacha for $7.99
- Sticky: 2001 Inniskillin Late Harvest Riesling 375ml , $6.95 CDN or about $5.75 USD

(3) wines to open
- White: 2003 Wolfer Goldgrube Riesling Spatlese Goldcap
- Red: 1995 Chateau Gruaud Larose
- Sticky: 2002 Pillitteri Sparking Icewine

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 06-23-2005).]

- winoweenie - 06-23-2005

Good questions Dan. I'll post tomorrow. Had a major lunch with BRW today. WW

- Bucko - 06-23-2005

That's okay KC. I know youse be a Pinot Syrah fan. Different strokes ... You should be gaga over 03 French wines.

- jmcginley1 - 06-24-2005

great questions.

1) best of year - Podere Poggio Scalette "Il Carbonaione" IGT 2001 . 100% Sangiovese from 100 year old vines. $45 a bottle, and absolutley amazing.

2) Value - Colonnara "Lyricus" Verdicchio dei Castelli di Jesi Classico 2003. 2003 was a great year for Verdicchio and at $7 a bottle, I am loving the crisp, applely finish on this one.

3) I don't have a cellar to look foward to (yet)

- Innkeeper - 06-24-2005

Hate to throw water on all this, but the general public, that we need in order to continue exiting, doesn't come to this thread except accidentally. This info should be on another thread.

- winoweenie - 06-24-2005

Hate to admit it but youse be rite IK. Suggest moving to the R&R thread. I'll wait to answer after the move. WW

- Innkeeper - 06-24-2005

1. 1998 Easton, Shenandoah Valley (CA), Cabernet Sauvignon.

2. 2002 Bodegas Salentein, Finca El Portillo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendoza ($7.99).

3. 1996 Stag's Leap Winery, Napa Valley, Petite Syrah.

- winoweenie - 06-24-2005

#1) Most of the top wines of Napa and Sonoma
from the 94 vintage.
#2) Joel Gott 03 Cab Blend 815
#3) The same wines from the 97 vintage.
On a daily basis, I'm like Sisak, the wine I drank yesterday. WW

- sharon001 - 07-09-2005

1) Beaune 1er cru "Clos des Mouches" 1997, Joseph Drouhin (smooth, smooth sailing...)

2) Marcillac "Lo Sang del Païs" 2003, Philippe Teulier (delicious - balanced and earthy - and only 6 euros!)

3) A red zinfandel!

- Drew - 07-09-2005

1. 2003 Rosenblum Aparicio Vineyard
Zinfandel...fell in love with this
and have a few more

2. 2003 Craneford Allyson Parsons Shiraz
$13 and wish I'd bought a case...can't
find any now. Most food friendly Oz
shiraz I've had to date.

3. I have a 1996 Brigaldara Amarone that I'd
like to pop with Eileen before the
year's out. Also looking forward to a
'03 7 Deadly Zins that I'll pop in
several weeks at the beach.

It's been a strange year for wine with me as I've had many disappointing wines this year between the $8 and $15 mark which contrasts with past years. Either I'm liking more $$ wines or the cheaper bottlings are of lesser quality than the past years.

Drew

- jmcginley1 - 07-10-2005

Drew, I am giving two thumbs up on the '03 7 Deadly Zins. I had it two weeks ago at a wine bar while tasting every Zin they had. 2nd best of the lot, and quite cheap to boot.

- Drew - 07-11-2005

BTW, what was the first best?

DRew

- sharon001 - 07-12-2005

Oh lord, I spoke too soon! My new best bottle (maybe ever) was tasted yesterday evening - brought back from the Jura region of France by a friend whose father used to be into wine but then lost interest in it and moved to China (though not for that reason...).

Chevalier-Montrachet 1986, Domaine Leflaive.

Wow.

Pure gold balance, buttery but mineral and subtle, and long like there's no tomorrow.

And my friend hadn't the faintest idea that this was something special; he'd just picked a few bottles from the cellar (like an '89 Mâcon! man, am I happy he brought over the Chevalier-Montrachet)...

- wondersofwine - 07-13-2005

I'm glad too that he brought the Chevalier. The Macon would probably be dead. I've never had a Chevalier-Montrachet but have had a few tastings of Montrachet and the better vintages remain a highlight of my wine-drinking experiences. I would LOVE to try a Leflaive Chevalier-Montrachet so I'm glad that YOU at least appreciated what you were drinking. Better see what else your friend has in his (father's) cellar.

- sharon001 - 07-14-2005

I'm planning a trip to the Jura next weekend! Too tempting to see what else is lying around in that cellar...