WineBoard
Thanksgiving wines??? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Thanksgiving wines??? (/thread-13550.html)

- Kcwhippet - 11-24-2010

So, what are you folks planning on serving with Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow? I'm assuming dinner would be the traditional turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, etc.

Personally, I haven't chosen the exact wines yet, though they will be Pinot Noir. I do have one a distributor gave me the other day that probably will be included - a 2008 Patricia Green Ribbon Ridge which retails about $34.99. I'd like to also open maybe a Siduri and a Loring - most likely one each of their Central Coast wines.

- Drew - 11-25-2010

We're doing a brunch today with mom at her retirement community but I'm cooking a full feast for Eileen and I on Saturday. Turkey's brining right now and will partially smoke and finish with Chef Joseph Carey's high heat method in the oven. Will choose the wines and report later.

Drew

- winoweenie - 11-25-2010

Hot-Diggity-Doggie!!!!!!!CB was cleared yesterday to have some liquid refreshment today so she's having a highly reccommended Cremant D' Alsace from Lucien Albrecht along with some SW from Dehlinger. I'm joining her on the Alsace and have an 2000 Dehlinger Old Vine Reserve Pinot I'm going to force down. We've about made up our mind on her treatment but will report when all is firm. Happy Turkey to all youse guys. WW

- Thomas - 11-25-2010

Today will be my first glass of wine since Saturday (how do you fast for weeks WW?). Oh, and WW, that Lucien Albrecht--I had it two weeks ago: highly recommend it, too.

Haven't selected yet, but Gewurztraminer is on my mind for today.

Won't know about the biopsy results until Dec. 8.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-25-2010).]

- andrawes76 - 11-25-2010

Hey guys, we're doing Turkey, Lamb, and Crab flown in from San Fran yesterday. We pulled in some 07 Telegramme for the lamb, 08 Flora Springs Soliloqy Sauv Blanc for the crab and Ceretto Arneis Blange, Monchoff Urz Werg Riesling 07, Schafer Frolich Kabinett 07 Riesling. We'll finish off the evening with some Croft Vintage Port 2000.

I wish you all good health, with an extra prayer for WW's CB, and Foodie... Hope you guys are in good health. - Alex

- Innkeeper - 11-25-2010

Our turkey is in the smoker! In November! Yes! At this point we will have to wait and see, but it looks like all is going smokily. All else is ready to shove in the oven when necessary. We will pop a box of Boho Old Vine California Zinfandel for the crowd that will be here.

- TheEngineer - 11-25-2010

Glad to see you gusy at this...I won't be home this year for Thanksgiving....won't be able to do my traditional turkey meal with friends....but iits okay [img]/ubb/smile.gif[/img] onward to Paris tomorrow.

- Innkeeper - 11-25-2010

The smoker worked!!!!! And we even have some Zin left over!

- winoweenie - 11-26-2010

The Albrect was just as advertised and the 00 Dehlinger kiced some serious patootie. PW did you mean the Vieux Telegraph? I dint realize Western Union had any vineyards? WW [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- wondersofwine - 11-29-2010

We did the communal Thanksgiving at church again after a noon service. In past years we have shared one oven-roasted turkey and one from a fryer but the fryer turkey was so well liked that this year they were both done that way. I took "party potatoes" (you mash them and then add sour cream and softened cream cheese and bake in a casserole dish) and pumpkin cake/cream cheese roll. One church member brought a J. Lohr Cabernet Sauvignon that got high praise from "Wine Enthusiast" I believe (or maybe it was "Wine Spectator") It tasted rather sweet to me. I took a bottle of Trimbach Gewurztraminer, a Stoller Pinot Noir from the Dundee Hills, Oregon and a Chateau des Capitans Julienas Beaujolais Cru. I finished off the Stoller and Julienas at home over the weekend. I didn't get around to opening a Niersteiner Riesling Auslese (Rheinpfalz) that I intended as a dessert wine. People started on the desserts before I was through my main course. The turkey put me to sleep most of the rest of the day.