WineBoard
Any NCAA Tournament junkies out there? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Any NCAA Tournament junkies out there? (/thread-13528.html)

- dananne - 03-15-2006

I'd say "Roll Tide," as my alma mater is in there, but I'm thinking they're going to be sent home by Marquette early.

So, I'll just say "Go Zags!" They've been a favorite of mine since their '99 run. I love the underdogs. I suppose, now, that they've lost the underdog tag, however. Maybe when we're living in CCK country I'll get to some of their games.

I could also say "On Wisconsin!" As that's where my family is from and I grew up a Badgers fan, I generally pull for them, too.

All that aside, I'm guessing U Conn over Memphis in the title game.

Should be a fun, pretty wide-open tourney to watch, though. I especially love the opening round upsets. This year, I'm looking at Wisc.-Milwaukee, Southern Ill, and UAB in the first round. Also, watch out for Missouri Valley teams.

OK, I'm rambling at this point, but Anne is tired of hearing me talk about it, so I need some sort of outlet . . .

- Bucko - 03-15-2006

Nope -- basketball would go bankrupt if they depended on me.

- TheEngineer - 03-15-2006

NOt really...put in my pool today...usually am out of the thing by the first game.... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- brappy - 03-15-2006

I'm also a Badger fan but unfortunately I don't think they'll make it past the 2nd round. That's if they make it past Arizona. But, yeah, I love March Madness. Even if my team doesn't do much. ....Go Badgers.....

- winoweenie - 03-16-2006

Look for me jumping up and down (with a solid 2 inch vertical leap) for Lutes' Az Wildcats. WW

- wondersofwine - 03-16-2006

I'm for Duke (two nephews went there and I applied but would have needed a scholarship to attend.) I also admire Coach K as a leader and coach and upstanding person (even though they say his teams often get preferential treatment from the referees). And I hope J.J. Redick recovers from what is for him a scoring slump and does well during the tourney.

P.S. Dan, do you have definite plans to move to Washington State? What time frame?

- VouvrayHead - 03-16-2006

go badgers. (maybe they'll beat arizona, but that's it)
i'm picking villanova over kansas for the title (just so i have a shot at winning my big pool). in reality i think UConn will win, but i sure as hell won't win a pool by having them...
I also like UW Milwaukee an Southern Ill for first rounders.

- Innkeeper - 03-16-2006

If Villanova wins I'll never hear the end of it from brother and sister who are both alums. Brother has a tape of last Wildcat championship game that he watches two or three times a night.

- dananne - 03-16-2006

Jane: Nothing definite yet, just quietly looking, thinking, and talking about it. No real rush, but we may end up there at some point. We're headed back this summer to explore more and contemplate things. I suppose we'll be tasting some wine, too. And, we'll get to see Kathy again.

Exciting games, so far. I'm watching to see if Winthrop can knock off Tennessee right now. The whole underdog thing. Either way, I've picked Wichita St to go to the Sweet 16, and they'll play the winner. Alabama is hanging on over Marquette, so maybe my dire prediction earlier won't come to pass . . .

- winoweenie - 03-16-2006

Congrats there Danl'. Well played game by the Tide. Hope our Wildcats do as well. WW

- dananne - 03-16-2006

Thank you, sir. Had me a little nervous late, but they held on.

As for AZ, it'll be a good game against the Badgers!

- stevebody - 03-16-2006

I'm an ACC guy. I know, I know, any of you from NC: you CANNOT be a Duke Fan and a Tarheel fan. I agree. But I'm homesick, so I'll root for the Dookies when they're playing anybody but NC and I'm a Maryland alumnus, so I pull for them, too. I was born about 30 miles from Virginia Tech, so I have to follow them, since my whole family lives with 200 miles of there. And Virginia is where I did my Masters studies, so I have a soft spot for them, too. I'm not a big fan of Washington but I like to see them do good and Gonzaga is my favorite team out west. I'm confused! I just LOVE this tournament!

- dananne - 03-16-2006

Hurray for the Zags!

- dananne - 03-17-2006

WW -- Congrats on your Wildcats. They sure took it too my Badgers this afternoon.

- winoweenie - 03-17-2006

Love it when a plan comes together. WW

- Findnfish - 03-18-2006

GO ZAGS!!!!! UW should go far.?! I hope [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 03-18-2006

What a great game the Wichita State players put up against Tennessee. Was my home for around 20 years so was rooting for them. Ww

- dananne - 03-19-2006

I guess I was right about the Missouri Valley Conference -- twp teams in the Sweet 16! Wichita St looked great against Tenn, and Bradley had two really nice wins over Kansas and Pitt to make it.

Oh, and go Zags!

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 03-19-2006).]

- wondersofwine - 03-20-2006

Stevebody,
Well Duke is still in it. When my nephews were at Duke (one of them during Christian Laettner's time) I was astounded to find out the hatred among NC State, UNC-Chapel Hill and Duke fans. I'm from Nebraska where there is one big university (Creighton and Nebraska Wesleyan etc. don't count) and the whole state unites behind the Cornhuskers. I naively thought that UNC fans would root for Duke when not playing each other, etc.
I'm wiser now. Once I mentioned Duke in Raleigh or Cary and the other person said Duke is a four-letter word in these parts.
I do have some kind feelings toward Maryland. One of my best friends started in the nursing program at Duke but changed majors and colleges and graduated from Maryland. She still lives in College Park and is active with the alum group and I have attended a football game with her. I also lived in Prince George's County Maryland for three years in the 70's.
UNC may be formidable next year. Several outstanding freshman players this year.