WineBoard
Shop clerks - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Shop clerks (/thread-13502.html)

- hotwine - 10-12-2000

Received a fax from my (former) favorite wine shop yesterday, advertising the 1997 Rancho Zabaco Heritage Zin for $7.99, among other Gallo offerings. So I stopped by today to pick up a few bottles, since Bucko & Scoop had said nice words about it over the last few months, and I'm a total dunce on Zins overall. Took 'em to the cashier, and he rang up the regular price of $11.99 per. Whoa, I said, your fax of yesterday said $7.99. That can't be, he said, our mailout says the sale is only for Saturday the 14th. Don't care what your mailout says, son, your fax said the sale runs from 12 - 18 October, and this be the 12th.
He checked with the owner, who grudgingly admitted to the sale price of $7.99.
Mercy.

- Bucko - 10-12-2000

Gotta watch those slips! I got two double charges on my Mastercard this month, one from a wine shop, one from a restaurant -- totally over $250. Now I ain't cheap, but come on. I can get a pretty decent case of wine for that amount.

Bucko

- Botafogo - 10-12-2000

Hot, the real question here is "why the hell would you patronize a store with such high mark-ups they can have a 33% off sale and presumbably still make a profit?" Geez Louise, that is out of control! But then I guess that's why so many texans think they've died and gone to heaven when they visit us.....

Roberto

>>totally over $250. Now I ain't cheap, but come on. I can get a pretty decent case of wine for that amount.<<

Bucko, you can get THREE "pretty decent" cases for that! For $250 you can get a case of GREAT wines, no problema......

- winoweenie - 10-13-2000

Roberto, I accidently hit erase button on the last hot list. On the Cognac put me back 2 bottles of the cookin` ( Cheep) stuff and a bottle each of the other 3.Tank-Youse .winoweenie

- Botafogo - 10-13-2000

Done, When are you coming to town???

- winoweenie - 10-13-2000

Robero, I`ll firm date next week. Should be end of month. Predicated on pickups in the Valleys.winoweenie

- hotwine - 10-13-2000

Roberto, maybe you should consider opening some branches, say, in San Antonio & Seattle.

- mrdutton - 10-13-2000

And maybe Virginia Beach?????????????

- Bucko - 10-13-2000

That's on the wrong coast, fella! Although, at the moment you right coasters are kicking our left coast Mariner's butts. :-(

Bucko

- Botafogo - 10-13-2000

But, seriously, do you guys as consumers not take a MAJOR double take when someone has a 30% sale in this highly competitive market sector???? We think we're dropping our shorts and are almost paying YOU to take the wine) when we have a 10% off (on selected items) inventory clearance sale in January.

Roberto

PS, we don't need branches, we're to busy as it is. I just got home from unloading 1000 cases of 43 different labels of which 90% have never been in the states before....time for a Belgian Ale!!!!

- hotwine - 10-14-2000

Sure, we do a double-take. We know we're being had, but that's the price of admission in this part of the country.

- Thomas - 10-14-2000

Roberto, I have been telling my wife for 27 years that if something is on sale it was probably over-priced to begin with. Having been in retail has hardened me against so-called sale pricing.

However, as Hotwine alludes, in a regulated market the consumer often has no choice, which is why we need to fight to have wine deregulated.

- hotwine - 10-14-2000

Amen, Foodie!