WineBoard
wine selection - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: wine selection (/thread-1350.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Bobbly - 08-02-1999

What wine would go with hot dogs and burgers at a barbecue?

- Bucko - 08-02-1999

Plenty of wines, but I love a good Rose on a hot summer day with burgers. Try:

1998 Gabrielli Sangiovese Rosato, Redwood Valley, $14. A lovely rose that is perfect for a picnic or enjoying on the deck this summer.

1998 Preston Gamay Beaujolais Rose, Columbia Valley, $10. Another fine Rose to enjoy on the deck with that BBQ hamburger.

1998 Simi Rose of Cabernet Sauvignon, California, $10. Worth the hunt to find this refreshing wine. A great summer sipper.

Bucko

- Bobbly - 08-02-1999

THANKS!

- Jerry D Mead - 08-02-1999

Another good choice would be Joseph Phelps Grenache Rose...White Zin will bepopular with some of your guests...try Delicato for value and taste...or if you like red wine,put a little chill on an inexpensive Chianti.

JDM

- Tabby - 08-06-1999

If you're going for a red, nothing too heavy or tannic. White wines tend to get smothered by the char grill flavours of barbecued food. A good, fruity red is probably your best bet, a Grenache for example, or Merlot. And nothing too expensive! Barbecues are for fun drinking!

- n144mann - 08-06-1999

A slightly chilled lemberger (simple red, with a good deal of fruit) might also do the trick. Hogues Genesis label, or Steele's Shooting Star, both make one....also sometimes called Blue Franc. I would also have to agree with Curm....a white zin is always great at a picnic. Beringer makes a nice one, as well as Deloach.
Nancy

- Bucko - 08-06-1999

Bless your soul, Nancy. I did not think that anyone drank Lemberger but me. What a nice summer wine for the BBQ. Nice peppery flavors to boot.

Bucko

- Randy Caparoso - 08-07-1999

You do me proud, too, Nancy. Lemberger forever! (Yikes -- I thought my computer was jammed... someone help me take off the multiple entries!)

[This message has been edited by Randy Caparoso (edited 08-07-99).]

You do me proud, too, Nancy. Lemberger forever!

- Tabby - 08-07-1999

Your PC obviously likes Lemberger too! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- n144mann - 08-07-1999

Gee Randy.....I am really flattered!!! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I love lemberger Bucko....not sure why it is not more widely recognized, or easier to find. It is a standard wine for us.
Nancy

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 08-07-99).]

- Zinner - 08-09-1999

Say, why do you think nobody drinks Lemberger? Lots of people must be drinking it judging by the speed with which it jumps off the store shelves around here every time Jed Steele's Blue Franc comes in.
A few years back when I went to the Internatinal Pinot Noir Celebration in Oregon, I picked up a bottle from a Washington State winery labeled Rattlesnake Ridge Lemberger. It was delicious too. Just haven't seen it since I was in Portland, but I'd buy some if I did find it.
Bucko, do you ever see this wine in Seattle?
It was bottled by Portteus Vineyards in the Yakima Valley.

- n144mann - 08-10-1999

Well, I love it, but when I went in to ask my retailer about it....he did not even know what it was. He did tell me later that he had recommended it to others on my recommend to him, (not sure he even tasted it???) and I have noticed that it is a staple on his shelves now. I would like to see more of it....and more producers making it.

[This message has been edited by n144mann (edited 08-10-99).]

- Tabby - 08-10-1999

Lemberger is another name for the Hungarian grape, Kekfrankos. I tasted a great one last year; my notes read along the lines of "rich cherry chocolate nose & palate, with a cherry-stone finish". Don't see this grape around too much in the UK, it's a shame. I'd like to taste it more often.

- Jerry D Mead - 08-10-1999

Relying on memory here...believe the Austrians call it Blau Frankish (Lemberger, that is).

- Randy Caparoso - 08-11-1999

Spot on, Tabby! Now, you've got my curiosity going. Do you remember the brand of Hungarian Kekfrankos/Blaufrankisch that you tasted? Interested in trying it.

- Tabby - 08-11-1999

Randy, I do remember as it so happens! It was a supermarket brand (so not all supermarket own brands taste of ka-ka, I'm happy to report). More specifically, it was a Marks & Spencer 1997 vintage, from the Paks region of Hungary.

- supervirgo - 08-11-1999

Everyone seems to be fairly excited about this "Lemberger". Besides a being a "red", exactly type of wine is it - and who makes it? Hope these aren't silly questions :-)

Thanks - The Wine Novice