WineBoard
BCS - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: BCS (/thread-13486.html)

- Bucko - 01-03-2001

Okay, get out the bullhorns, pop some corks and root for my old alma mater -- OU. If FSU beats OU, then Miami is going to claim being #1 since they whipped FSU earlier this year. Then we have to live thru all of the hoopla about the BCS being just BS......

Bucko

- Scoop - 01-03-2001

Right on Bucko! This country needs a clear-cut winner for once (like that Cline Zin)!

Scoop

- cpurvis - 01-03-2001

Bucko Boomer Sooner!...
We have a common educational heritage (though this may invite wisecracks from the WW peanut gallery). What's more surprising is that two OU grads know anything about wine..that part of my education began after I left OU.

As for tonight, someone needs to deal a blow to the Florida triumvirate...Go OU!

- hotwine - 01-03-2001

I'll raise my glass to OU; they've shown a lot of class this year. And I also can't stand the thought of another win in Flori-duh!

- mrdutton - 01-03-2001

BCS????

I don't follow college ball, so forgive me my ignorance.

I'm just trying to figure out whether or not the Eagles or the Ravens will win......

I sure do hope the Ravens beat the Titons; that would make my day for sure. (Ravens are the only NFL team to beat the Titons on the Tennessee home turf this year.)

Meanwhile the Burgess rests so it can compete with the Zabaco and the Cline.......

- Bucko - 01-03-2001

Bowl Championship Series. It gets even better. My present state team, the Huskies have a right to claim a piece of the action. They only have one loss, and they beat Miami of Florida. So if OU loses tonight, Miami, UW, and FSU will all be claiming number one -- so much for the BCS resolving this.....

Bucko

- Thomas - 01-03-2001

Gee Bucko, couldn't you even throw in a wine reference among that football drivle! !!!

My wife loves me, she says, because I neither watch nor care about football. So be gentle with your response.

- Bucko - 01-03-2001

Your wife loves you because you stay out from under foot and you cook..... don't con me, big boy...... ;-) You are probably a closet pro wrestling fan..... Smackdown mania!

Bucko

- Drew - 01-04-2001

My wife loves me cause I don't care a lot about football also but, GO RAVENS! CAW,CAW,CAW (Raven bird sound).

Drew

- chittychattykathy - 01-04-2001

"Bow Down To Washington... Mighty Are The Men That Wear The Purple And The Gold!" What an intense game! Kat (loved because I served snacks and watched 3 bowl games)

- winoweenie - 01-04-2001

CPurvis, you haven`t read my posts carefully enuf! ie: Born....Shawnee,Ok...Raised....Tulsa, Ok ...
High School......Tulsa Central, Will Rogers and Holy Family.....Army Air Force.....2 years at OU. Transferred to Missouri for Journalism School.....Had ma jor party last nite...Can`t talk Thank Goodness my fingers still work.....BOOMER SOONER!!!!!!! Oaki-Dokie Verne

- cpurvis - 01-04-2001

Apologies WW! I haven't been around the Board long enough to pick up on all the personal history.

Re: last night..that's the first time I've whooped & hollered about a football game in quite awhile!

Boomer Sooner! cp

- Bucko - 01-04-2001

One rule of thumb -- never, NEVER apologize to WW -- he puffs up like a blow fish and his wife can't get him in the house for three days. The sun tends to bake him a bit after 48 hours. ;-)

**What's more surprising is that two OU grads know anything about wine.**

Scary thought, eh? I still like a good beer or two fingers of single barrel whiskey on occasion.

So how did you end up in OR? I got up WA way with the military and stuck around.

Bucko

- cpurvis - 01-05-2001

Bucko, thanks for the tip...I will now go to the chalkboard & write "I will NEVER again apologize to WW" 50 times ;-)

As for Oregon, I guess it was 'go west til your hat floats'. As a Georgia native, OU was way west to me. Was there during the last nat. championship season! After OU I was in Dallas for 1yr (which is equivalent to about 3yrs too long in big hair-fake nails-and-all-other-synthetics-welcome-land...every offense intended..this is the 'Rants' page).

Was then transferred to the Bay area CA. Stayed a few yrs, lived in Vancouver, BC 3 yrs. Love the west coast & northwest, but opted for less rain & no more frenetic urban life, so now we're in southern Oregon. cp

- Bucko - 01-05-2001

BC! Did you get to taste any of the Okanagan wines? I have been impressed of late with the whites from the region.

Bucko

- RAD - 01-05-2001

CP, a GA native?

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DOGS! SIC 'EM! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!

RAD

- cpurvis - 01-05-2001

Yessiree Bucko...made a trip to the Okanagan just for tastin'. I like some of the whites & even some of the reds...most people don't realize that the BC Okanagan wine area ("The Golden Mile" etc.) is a valley that runs north from the northernmost DESERT in N. America. In other words, hot enough to do decent red wines.

Sumac Ridge has done some decent Cab Francs..I like the '96. Gehringer Brothers produces consistent wines, & some varietals that I haven't had elsewhere...like Ehrenfelser (?sp). I like their Riesling.

I'm also a fan of the ice wines ( though the prices prevent me from partaking regularly). Will never forget the Gehringer Brothers Merlot-blend RED ice wine ('96?) that was nothing less than an in-the-mouth raspberry explosion.

----------------------------------------
RE: "Go Dogs"..
Wrong side of the family RAD...

STING 'EM 'JACKETS!!!! Go TECH!!!!

[This message has been edited by cpurvis (edited 01-05-2001).]

- RAD - 01-06-2001

Ah, CP--what COULD have been a wonderful friendship... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

RAD