WineBoard
For John Moore and Brom - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: For John Moore and Brom (/thread-13482.html)

- tandkvd - 01-02-2004

I have been seeking advice from the good people on this board for just over a year now. I like this sight because novices like me can get good advice without being talked down to. There are no (until reciently) wine snobs here. Just people with a common goal of enjoing a good wine with good people.

Everything in life doesn't have to be a competition. I don't think that anyone here is arogent enough to think they know everything about wine. Like I tell my service techs, the most dangerous service tech is the one that thinks he knows it all.

So, if you could tone it down a bit I am sure that we could benifet from your knowledge. But you should also realize that you can gain knowledge from some of the people here as well.

- winoweenie - 01-02-2004

Well said Tankdvd and superb advice. Some people think the only way they can be noticed is by playing " Devils Advocate ".
The whole problem is that they know just enough about a lot of subjects to be dangerous. As long as I've been on this board I can't remember making a post on any subject that was out of my expertise. I don't post on Reislings, Chardonnays, Pinot Grigios, Alsation Whites , or any other SWs' because I don't mess with them. The only SWs' I buy are for CB and the bubblies I like occassionally. I also will never give advice based on anything but my personal drinking experience. The only reason I'm on this board was the founding father, Jerry Mead, was a personal friend and one of only 3 people whose palates I respected and he had a phobia against anyone and anything that smelled of snobbery. I want to add that the blatant advertising that John Moore has put on this board out of thread WILL come to a halt and I expect IK or Bucko to deplete every post from now on that asks people to contact him and his "PS I'm a wine Broker schtick.". Have a wonderful New Year ebberbodies and enjoy. WW

- Drew - 01-02-2004

I've been pretty quiet about these posts, Stevebody and Brom (John Moore's a different category). These individuals are internet trolls and I don't know why you all banter with them...for one, I won't, I treat them like their not there no matter what they say or how they respond and I won't change my stance. For those of you who don't know or understand trolls go to this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

And to Brom and Stevebody, it's a shame to waste such intelligence and knowledge when clearly your whole intent is to inflame and disrupt behind the cloak of anonymity
and not debate (there is a difference). There are many friends on this board and life's too short. And finally to the moderators, if this post is out of line, delete please.

Drew

- sedhead - 01-03-2004

Oh,trolling. I thought it meant a bridge troll.

- hotwine - 01-03-2004

Far from being out of line, Drew, you're right on. Thanks.

- Thomas - 01-03-2004

Drew, I generally agree with you--with one exception.

When these people answer questions they sometimes do so with seeming authority. Novices especially need to know when an answer is debatable. This is the only reason I responded to a few of Brom's recent posts about grapes and bottles and such.

- Drew - 01-03-2004

And right you are, Foodie, you and I, (especially you) know that most of wine is not a science and there are few absolutes beyond the making, D.O.C's and Govt. regulations. It's when it becomes apparant that I'm dealing with trolls that I cut them off.

Drew

- Thomas - 01-03-2004

Well Drew, there is one absolute:
Riesling does not pair well with steak au poivre... [img]http://38.118.142.245/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-03-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 01-05-2004

I would add that while Stevebody has been quite tedious at times, I have also agreed with some of his recommendations and have learned a bit from him. As tan says, they need to stop being contentious for contention's sake if they want people to listen to and learn from them.

- stevebody - 03-02-2004

I kinda like the "troll" thing! "3 Billygoats Gruff" was my favorite story when I was a kid.

As for Drew treting me like I'm not there, I can only pray that continues.

I've been routinely villified on this and other forums because I state my opinions in a way that is not very PC. I can only pray that continues, too. I was raised by straight-talking, no-BS Virginia mountaineers and inherited both the wild intelligence that runs through our family and the inability to tap-dance around what I find to be true. You may toss out anything I write, anytime you like. but one little nugget of wisdom my grandfather passed along to me rings ever more true as I get older: You can learn just as much from a fool as you can from a prophet, if you bother to listen.

I may not agree with some of the folks on this forum but I ALWAYS give what they write my full attention and CONSIDER it before disagreeing. I've learned a lot here, ESPECIALLY from Foodie, the person with whom I've been most contentious. I simply don't agree with him sometimes. That doesn't make him stupid.

I'm still reading the forums when I have time but I'm busy renovating our rental properties - doing the work myself; not hiring it out - and with Judye's therapy. She's getting close to walking and now we kick it up a notch, so I only read late at night and while dead tired and don't even sign in. If I get moved to post on something, I'll respond...in my own trollish, non-PC way.

- Thomas - 03-02-2004

Well, it has been a long time. Thanks for the plug. It might not always seem so, but I get on this board to impart some of what I have observed and learned about wine over the xx years that I have been at it. Glad I could oblige once in a while.

It might interest you to know that I guard my out-of-step-ness as much as you do, SteveB. It's mainly in the delivery that we differ...

- tandkvd - 03-03-2004

Good to hear from you SteveB, and I'm glad to hear fo the progress that your girlfriend is making.

I have always thought you have alot wine knowledge to offer. And just like any other subject there are differant points of view. As a wine novice I enjoy reading all the responses, to help me see the contrasting sides of this exploration of wine.

But it is the delivery of the opinion that determins how it is viewed, reguardless if it is right or wrong.

Good luck to the future progress of Judy's therapy, and hope to hear more from you.

- winoweenie - 03-03-2004

Add my wishes for Judys' progress there SB. Hope all progresses without hangups. Oh Yeah! Welchome back. WW

- wondersofwine - 03-03-2004

My best wishes also for Judy's progress and your loyalty and patience during the ordeal.