WineBoard
College student needs help. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: College student needs help. (/thread-13419.html)

- AmericanDream - 03-17-2004

Ok, I have no clue where to start with wine tasting. I know I've had some enjoyable wines in the past, but don't know how to tell the specifics to learn what I like. Us college kids drink wine but don't speak the language. Basically, it's not fully appreciated. Anyone who knows anything can help me; I could probably ask you questions for hours. Where can I become cultured into the wine world and learn to speak the wine language? I don’t want to know about smelling the cork and swishing the wine around yet, or do I?? I just would like to learn some basics. Any direction?

- winoweenie - 03-17-2004

Hi Am Dream and welcome to the board. Most of the people on this board reccommend the book " Wine For Dummies ". Disregard the name as it's extremely informative and tells you most everything you need to know about the wonderful world of wine. Wecome aboard! WW

- cheeps - 03-17-2004

Hi AmericanDream - I am a beginner too and you can get some great advice here. The three books I read were The Wall Street Journal Guide to Wine, The Windows on the World Wine Book - I believe it was the 2003 edition, and The Wine Bible. I found them all to be really helpful. I haven't read the "Dummies" one yet, but alot of people mentioned that one also. I think out of the three I read, The Wine Bible was the best as far as giving me detailed information, but considering I knew nothing about wine to begin with, it wasn't difficult for a beginner to understand or follow. None of the three were "snooty" either. They were written so either a novice or an experienced winer drinker could understand and enjoy them. I found a place that has free wine tastings and that's a great way to try different wines - especially more expensive ones that you may not want to spend your money on until you know what you like and what you don't like.

Lisa

- californiagirl - 03-17-2004

The Wine Bible is my favorite. Loads of info and easy to follow. You can open it to any chapter and not feel lost. The other thing is always ask lots of questions. I don't know about where you're from, but here, the clerks at small wine shops will talk for hours. Also try the sommeliers at restaurants... just not the snooty ones.

- wineguruchgo - 03-17-2004

Hello American Dream,

Come back here often and ask as many questions as you like. That's why we are here.

The wine world isn't easy, but it sure is fun.

My advice to you is to visit your local retailer and see if they have a mailing list you can get on. I know they do tastings in Michigan. That is the best way for you to begin without spending the money on bottles.

If you want to dabble and spend just a little bit of money, I would limit yourself to two different varietals and don't spend more than $7.00 per bottle to start. Pick up a Merlot and a Pinot Noir. Open both. Pour them, look at them (you will see a noticable difference) and try the Pinot then the Merlot in that order. You will begin to recognize the difference immediately.

Being that you are in college actually helps you with this. If you have a few buddies who are interested, each of you pick up a different bottle (Merlot, Pinot Noir, Cabernet and Syrah) and do a tasting. This way you will be able to see the difference, not spend a lot of money and get a nice buzz as a bonus!