WineBoard
Merry Christmas, everybody! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Merry Christmas, everybody! (/thread-13384.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 12-23-2004

Since this is my last day of school before vacation and I'll be computer-less for a week, I'd like to wish all of you a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year. Hope you spend the holidays with people you love, doing things you enjoy, and drinking lots of good wine. Let's keep in our thoughts and prayers the servicemen and women who are away from their families, and those who are mourning the loss of a loved one. Stay warm, stay happy, my friends! smooch!

- Innkeeper - 12-23-2004

Back to you, and all the others. We do have to keep the troops in our thoughts and prayers. A 47 year old Guardsman from a town twelve miles west of us, was killed in the mess hall blast the other day.

- hotwine - 12-23-2004

Merry Christmas to you too, Georgie, and to all.

Starting to feel like it around here.... after half an hour or so of working outside just after daybreak this morning, I went into the cellar to retrieve a bottle for D to use as a gift, and nearly panicked at the heat in there! Still holding at 57F, but felt really warm in comparison to outside temp. Y'all havin' to drive on slippery stuff this weekend, you be careful now, y'hear?

- hotwine - 12-23-2004

Sorry to hear that, IK.

I'm thinking the troops need to be better dispersed..... no more than X number gathered in one place at any time, eat and sleep (and work, if it's a sit-down job) in sandbagged positions, eat in relays as necessary, etc. I remember a general order at our division basecamp in 'Nam outlawing formations of any kind and restricting mess assemblies to squad-size, all to minimize casualties in event of a direct hit. Sounds like the Mosul incident was a sapper attack, but a much smaller assembly would have reduced casualties. Terrible.

- Kcwhippet - 12-23-2004

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too, Georgie, and everyone else on the Board.

- Bucko - 12-23-2004

Close to home here as well. A patient who works at Fort Lewis came in yesterday crying. Two officers showed up at her work and told her co-worker that her husband was killed in the mess tent bombing.

It seems like we are headed down the old Vietnam road again. More troops, more deaths, no end in site ... very sad.

That said, Merry Xmas to all -- may it be the best ever.

Hook 'em Horns!
Boomer Sooner!

- Thomas - 12-23-2004

It's official, went and cut down a tree last night--decorate it today. Happy to all.

- californiagirl - 12-23-2004

Thanks for spreading the Christmas cheer Georgie!! Today's the first day of my vacation.

Have a merry Christmas everyone- keep safe and enjoy your families!

- Drew - 12-23-2004

Happy, Happy Holidays to all. Good cheer, health and safety during this wonderful time.

Drew

- dananne - 12-23-2004

We hope everyone has a wonderful and safe holiday season! We look forward to putting faces with names in '05!

Dan & Anne

- bigredwines - 12-23-2004

I want to thank all of you who post regularly on this site.I really enjoy the info on wines, and all the other stuff I read.I don't post often but I do read Daily.
Here is wishing all of you out there a blessed Christmas and may your New Year be filled with joy and happiness.
I am praying daily for the safety and return the women and men who so bravely serve our country.MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL

- winoweenie - 12-23-2004

May all of you have the best holidays ever, the finest wines of your experience, and you and your loved ones healthy and happy. Take time to share a moment with someone less fortunate. WW

- winedope1 - 12-23-2004

Best wishes to all for a safe and happy holiday, however you choose to celebrate it! WD

- Glass_A_Day - 12-24-2004

Merry merry from mine to yours!!! And much great wine in the new year... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- wineguruchgo - 12-25-2004

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone on this board and to those who are serving our country overseas.

I hope that everyone has a wonderful holiday season filled with good food, great wine and lots of love!

Please be careful of the "other guy" when driving during this season.

- wondersofwine - 12-25-2004

Merry Christmas to all. I am at my sister's in Iowa after an unplanned night in Minneapolis area. Flight through Memphis was canceled due to weather. Rerouted through Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport. Flight from Minneapolis was canceled due to mechanical reasons. Weather in both Minneapolis and Des Moines was frigid but clear--no snow. Northwest gave me a voucher for a night at the Days Inn, Eagen and meal vouchers at the airport and overnight kit with deodorant, toothpaste and toothbrush. Wouldn't retrieve our suitcases so mine went on to Iowa ahead of me. I could have left at nine the next morning for Milwaukee and arrived at Des Moines about 1230 but didn't want to risk getting stuck in Wisconsin so I asked for a direct flight later in the day. Was confirmed for a seat at 5:00 PM getting into Des Moines at 6:02 PM but managed to get standby on an earlier direct flight at 1:11 PM and was in Des Moines about 2:30 Pm December 23rd. My youngest nephew was supposed to arrive the 23rd and got into Des Moines about 4:30 AM Christmas morning (he was flying from Florida through Atlanta and Cincinnati). Long food lines at Cincinnati Airport, hotels full, miserable for travel.
Minneapolis was 7 degrees below zero the morning I left with a wind chill of 20 below. Des Moines not much warmer but today it got to about 36 above.
Love to all,
wow

- Bucko - 12-25-2004

Isn't winter travel wonderful?

- winoweenie - 12-25-2004

You'll bask in these memories some day. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Sisterdear - 12-26-2004

Sorry I missed out on adding my merry greetings. I trust you all had a great Christmas and if travelling have arrived home safely or close to it. Georgie, Hubbydear and I had a peaceful night. Hubbydear cooked a feast and we had a red wine that even I liked!

- wondersofwine - 12-30-2004

So Sisterdear or Georgie, what was the red wine?