WineBoard
Bucko's survey idea - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Bucko's survey idea (/thread-13355.html)

- Georgie - 11-17-2003

Be sure to cast your vote in the Wine Lover's
"most irritating wine bottle" poll, idea conceived by Bucko. Somehow it just figures. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]
http://www.wineloverspage.com/votebooth/index.shtml

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 11-18-2003).]

- Bucko - 11-18-2003

Hey! I used to dream up all kinds of ways to torment and harass the school teacher, including a hampster in desk drawer, BBs rolled up in the pull down map, pen stink bombs, snap poppers on the doors...... and those were just the friendly tricks. I still have a 'special' spot in my heart to bring mayhem to the teach...... now exactly where did you say that you teach. I have some kids to educate. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 11-18-2003

I'm very glad to see that you haven't lost your creative genius. Your poor teachers....

- hotwine - 11-18-2003

My fave was takin' little lizzards & snakes to class & turnin' 'em loose. He, he. Would round 'em up again so I could take 'em to Sunday school.

- wondersofwine - 11-18-2003

You sound like my oldest nephew who was "kicked out" of toddler Sunday school for going "bang, bang" to everyone. Fortunately, he didn't grow up to become a mass killer but graduated from Duke and has two careers--part-time with a medical instrument company and works with a partner in mortgage brokering business in California.
My youngest nephew (as about a third- or fourth-grader) refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. He wasn't unpatriotic--just didn't like reciting in unison. Problem was that other students started following his lead and didn't recite the pledge either. Now many schools don't have the daily ritual (sort of sad)--I guess Danny was ahead of his time. Georgie, do your classes recite the Pledge?

- Thomas - 11-18-2003

Geez, I hate to admit this one, but a couple of us, in Junior High School, broke a teacher's arm inadvertantly when, during a fire drill line-up, we stacked chairs inside the coat room and slid the sliding doors closed. As it was a Friday afternoon, we were sent home direct from the fire drill. When the teacher went back to the class, she had a reason to open the closet doors and "BOOM," the chairs came down.

That was among the more nasty things we Brooklyn delinquents were capable of doing in or out of school--once, we threw an immense encyclopedia from the school library window to watch it sink into the four-inch snow storm outside that created three feet piles of shoveled snow.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-18-2003).]

- Georgie - 11-18-2003

Yes, by law we recite the Pledge daily. In my class we also sing a patriotic song. As far as participation by students, my superintendent friend excerpted the law for me. "...(students) shall not be required to render such salute and pledge but shall be required to show full respect to the flag while the pledge is being given merely by standing at attention, the boys removing the headdress." She didn't say if it was federal or state law, but I believe that it is a state law. In the past I've had children who were Jehovah's Witnesses who were asked to stand but were not required to recite the Pledge.

- ShortWiner - 11-18-2003

I passes on the Pledge all through high school. Too rote and brainwashy-feeling for me. I guess I preferred to cultivate a more private form of patriotism.

- Auburnwine - 11-18-2003

At school, we pledged, said The Lord's Prayer, and also had a Bible reading, at least through elementary school.

As a young lad, I played cowboys and Indians and cops and robbers, and I loved toy guns and military aircraft. Through high school, I went to the Baptist church Sunday morning and evening and to Wednesday night prayer meeting.

As an older kid, I hunted all through the Everglades and owned my own guns. And I loved it when the band played a rousing version of Dixie at pep rallies.

I wouldn't have dreamed of playing a prank on a teacher.

Uh, I somehow evolved into a liberal, wine-sipping, pacifist, Unitarian.

[This message has been edited by Auburnwine (edited 11-18-2003).]

- wondersofwine - 11-18-2003

I taught for one year in Michigan (tenth-grade English). One time I went into the storage closet for supplies and one of the class pranksters thought it would be cool to hold the door shut so I couldn't get out. Only my finger was caught under the inside knob and as he pulled from the outside it was pinching the side of my finger. I said my finger was caught (it hurt like hell) and fortunately they relented and let me out. I was too proud to shed tears but I still remember it. I sympathize with Foodie's teacher and the broken arm.
One of my proudest moments as a teacher came when I asked for the chalk. Someone threw a piece which I caught with my right hand. Then someone threw another piece which I caught in my left hand. I still can't believe I caught it left handed!
Also the summer before I started teaching I had spent six weeks traveling in Europe. I wrote a little anecdote about Sorrento for an English exercise (they had to correct the deliberate errors in grammar or punctuation). Someone asked if it was a true story and I said yes. They were impressed that I had been to Italy. (Life's little triumphs).

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-18-2003).]

- quijote - 11-18-2003

Wow, I feel like a dork. I think the most daring thing I did in elementary school was scrawl the word "Playboy" on a classroom chalkboard.

I didn't torment the teachers much in high school, either, though in 11th grade a friend and I drove around the area to look at the unremarkable ranch houses that our teachers lived in. Of course, we were almost discovered as one teacher stood in his driveway unloading groceries from the car.

[This message has been edited by quijote (edited 11-18-2003).]