WineBoard
Weekend wines (various varieties) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Weekend wines (various varieties) (/thread-13343.html)

- wondersofwine - 11-02-2005

A humble start with a Covey Run Gewurztraminer from Washington with lunch at P.F. Chang (no vintage on the menu). Medium straw color. Some residual sugar. No noticeable spiciness. Almost drank like a Riesling Spatlese IMO. Pleasant, but not what I would describe as a Gewurztraminer typicity.

At Dean & Deluca I self-selected a flight of four reds (all different varieties) in 2-oz. tastings. Waitperson helped me with the drinking order. However, she wasn't wearing her glasses and mistook the 'R' label on a Runquist Petite Syrah for the 'K' on the K Vintner Syrah I had ordered so later gave me the K Syrah at no extra cost.

2002 Steele Pacini Vineyard Zinfandel, Mendocino, CA
Dark crimson color, not opaque. 13.5% alcohol
Dark fruits on nose and palate. Smooth, velvety texture and a long, pleasant finish. Perhaps more body and structure than the Steele Catfish Zinfandel which I like (and I thought better than the Mendocino Ridge Zin). I bought a bottle of this wine for $18.95 (Dean & Deluca prices tend to run a little high).

2003 (Jeff) Runquist Petite Syrah, Clarksburg, CA (when I thought I was drinking the 2003 K Syrah, Milbrandt Vineyards, Washington). (I wrote it down as Syrah but it may have been spelled Sirah). From Salman Vineyard--Enver Salman the grower and Jeff Runquist the vintner. 14.5% alcohol
Darker red-purple than the Steele Pacini Vineyards, Zinfandel. Opaque. Fragrant black fruits (blackberries and possibly boysenberries). Initially light on the palate but gains weight mid-palate, somewhat silky. Not overoaked. Mild spice note. First petite sirah I don't find too tannic for me to really like it. I purchased a bottle. Shown for $21 to $25 on wine-searcher.com. but cost me $29.95 at Dean & Deluca.

2003 Joel Gott Cabernet Sauvignon, California
Approximately the same darker red-purple color as the Runquist Petite Sirah. Pleasant taste but unimpressive after the 'R' wine. Fresh berry flavor without much depth. Would marry well with many foods however.

2001 Muja Reserva Rioja, Spain
Similar in color to Petite Sirah and Cabernet Sauvignon. Some leather on the nose. Finish falls short of both the Zinfandel and the Petite Sirah. A bit tannic midpalate. Okay but I would probably like better if opened in 2008 or 2009. (I like the Muga 1994 at a previous wine tasting but not the modern-style "Torre" with too much wood treatment.)

Waitperson apologized for serving the Runquist Petite Sirah instead of the K Milbrandt Vineyards Syrah, WA. Gave a small pour of the K Syrah. Crimson-purple color. Non-spicy. Light to medium body. Food friendly but a little nondescript. Now I'm glad I was served the wrong wine because I definitely liked the Petite Sirah better.

Partway through the flight of wines I had a two-cheese plate with half walnuts, half strawberries, figs, and candied cranberries.

This is getting lengthy so I will post the other weekend wines tomorrow under varieties (Pinot Noir, Port, Riesling, Gruner Veltliner, Sauvignon Blanc). How's that for variety in a weekend. (Also had a Diet Pepsi while watching the Carolina Panthers tromp on the Minnesota Vikings in Charlotte.
I needed to use my binoculars to read the players' numbers because I was six rows below the very top of the stadium seating in a corner of the field. Sorry to see Daunte Culpepper injured. I was sitting next to four Vikings fans and it was definitely not a pleasant experience for them.)

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 11-02-2005).]

- robr - 11-02-2005

I just had one that tasted the same as you describe. 2003 Valckenberg Gewurtztraminer Pfalz. Not very spicy, reminded me more of a Reisling, albeit, a very very GOOD Reisling.

- TheEngineer - 11-02-2005

Sometimes the wrong road traveled leads to the better destination!

- wondersofwine - 11-03-2005

True!

- Innkeeper - 11-03-2005

The PS may well have been named Petite Syrah. Some in CA notably Stags Leap have been calling their PS that for decades. Just adds to the confusion.