WineBoard
Happy Independence Day! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Happy Independence Day! (/thread-13327.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 07-01-2004

A little early, but a friend of mine sent this along and I thought it was somethng others might enjoy. It might have sound, but my computer at work doesn't, so I'm just assuming. Have a happy, everybody. Any exciting plans? Menus? http://www.njagyouth.org/liberty.htm

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 07-01-2004).]

- Bucko - 07-01-2004

Back at you. Traditional BBQ ribs, baked beans, potato salad, slaw, and cherry pie.

- Thomas - 07-02-2004

Washington cherries, I presume.

We had a miserable spring and maybe won't see our lovely cherries this year.

- wondersofwine - 07-02-2004

I considered brief trips to Charlotte, NC, Baltimore, MD or Charleston, SC but elected to stay home. I will probably go to Fort Bragg Sunday evening for the 1812 Overture and fireworks (may skip the afternoon parachute demonstration and the bands). Will have a simple dinner (hamburger or such) before the fireworks. Saturday I plan to see an exhibit at the NC Museum of Art in Raleigh (American landscape artists), sample free wines at Carolina Wine Company and pick up some wines I previously ordered, and have dinner at Enoteca Vin where I can sample some more wines. We have the holiday Monday but I don't have special plans for that day. May use it to clean my home.

- winoweenie - 07-02-2004

CB and I intend to try to remember our lonely existance without the presence of my grand-son who flew back to Michigan for the holidays. We'll enjoy the cats and quiet. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 07-02-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 07-02-2004

Grandson's living with you?

- Kcwhippet - 07-02-2004

Well, we're staying home for the 4th. Have to. All of Judy's side of the family is showing up for the day. Her two brothers, two sisters, and all their various and sundry SO's, offspring and their offspring along with a few cousins and their crews will be descending on the humble abode for a day of revelry and lots of food. Gonna have the obligatory burgers, dogs (with various toppings - Chicago, New York, KC, etc.), ribs, corn on the cob, Judy's world famous potato salad (at least our world, which is what counts), and all the other assorted accompaniments. I'm stocking up with Bass Ale, Tanner's Jack and a few other esoteric and unusual brews. Judy and I will, of course, be opening up at least two of our finest Zins. The rest of the clan don't have a clue about wine, hence the brews. I recall about ten years ago we brought some really nice Zins to the event when it was at one of Jude's sister's home. One of her brothers decided to try some of our wine (I think it was an 85 Storybook Mountain) and decided it would benefit from a healthy dose of Pepsi. Last time we did that bit. Anyway, big crowd, lots of food and lots of wine for us (survival rations). That's it.

[This message has been edited by Kcwhippet (edited 07-02-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 07-02-2004

Sounds great KC. Our best to you and Jud and the rest of the gang here. Our town is celebrating tomorrow. So, will have to dress in red, white, and blue, and take in all the events and parade. Friends in Belfast are celebrating their 50th tomorrow night, so we will have to watch the Searsport fireworks from their bay windows. Belfast doesn't have fireworks because they can enjoy ours. That's what makes America wonderful.

- winoweenie - 07-02-2004

Sounds like a " Feast for the Fourth " to me KC. Yeppo there WOW my oldest grandson moved in 3 moths ago and flew back to upper Michigan yesterday. Is moving into his own apt on return. Has enrolled for the fall term at Scottsdale Culinary Institute. WW

- hotwine - 07-02-2004

Dunno what we're doin' yet.... sumthin' between grillin' buggers out back, or haulin' the pit to the ranch an' smokin' brisket down there. She'll clue me in soon enough.

- Thomas - 07-03-2004

We are finally old enough to want to do nothing on holidays, especially not to get on the road. And since I have just come off two harrowing weeks, I am decompressing, likely with great July 4th fare such as calves liver with garlic, onions, thyme and smothered in balsamic/madeira sauce--with a great local Cabernet Franc (Prejean) served with eggplant/mushroom/garlic scapes risotto. Talk about fireworks!

KC, tell Judy that one day we will have to have a potato salad face-off. And tell her relatives to keep their hands off the Zinfandel...

On Keuka Lake, on the 4th, at 10 p.m., cottages all around the shoreline light flares--it is a sight.

In a few days I turn one year older, so there will have to be another celebration--no calves liver for that one.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 07-03-2004).]

- winoweenie - 07-03-2004

Happy B/D there foodster. I'll call either today or tomorrow and check your blood-pressure. WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- tandkvd - 07-03-2004

Hey all.

Well I think that they are tring to kill me at work. I haven't had much time to check in with the board since we got back from the OBX, and have hardly consumed 1 bottle of vino per week [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

Well I plan on changing that this weekend. We will have some family over tomorrow and grill some dogs and burgers. I have a Zin. (Sobon Estate Hillside 2001) that I picked up last week at Total Wine on the reckomendation of the sales girl. She has reckomended wines to me before and was right on.

Tonight our oldest daughters and boyfriends are comming over to play Spades, we got into this at the beach and had a great time. I'll probally open a Villa Mt. Eden Cab. and fix some salsa.

Hope everyone has a great 4th!

- Thomas - 07-03-2004

Less than one bottle per week!!!

You are in arrears--get moving.

- Georgie - 07-03-2004

I just watched the annual Ocean Grove 4th of July parade. It goes on for about 2 hours. It's really something for a small town parade. Think Norman Rockwell. As far as the potato salad contest goes, I'd like to enter mine. I'm doing a Virgina baked ham, potato salad, snow peas and baby carrots, and sliced Jersey tomatoes for Sunday dinner tomorrow. Followed by a new pie recipe called "Butter-Coconut Pie." Not exactly a Weight Watchers menu, I know. Riesling with the ham?

[This message has been edited by Georgie (edited 07-03-2004).]

- tandkvd - 07-03-2004

Well lets see some recipies. I'll make some and be a judge.

We have never made alot of potato salad. Karen has found some at a local gro. store thats pretty good, with red skined potatos.

- winoweenie - 07-03-2004

'Sokay Georgie. Youse have been so good you have all of our permish to crank up some calories. Happy Firecracker all. WW

- Drew - 07-03-2004

Played golf today with a couple of nice hacks...good time for all. Jerked chicken, spinich and grilled veggie salad w/balsamic vinegar dressing, corn on the cob, Belgian ale and Peachy Canyon Zin to wash the stuff down. A beautiful day AND got a call from Verne...that's dessert enough for me.

Drew

- hotwine - 07-03-2004

Buggers & '99 Deerfield Ranch Syrah tonight. Yum!

- tandkvd - 07-04-2004

We got the 4th off with a bang lastnight. We played Spades till 1am, downed 1 case of beer and two bottles of Villa Mt. Eden Cab. and six bottles of the Bartles & James Margarita drinks, my wife likes those, but after she cut me off of the wine I did have one myself.

We all went out for breakfast this morning. I am now resting up for the cookout tonight.

I am trying to cetch up foodie.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 07-04-2004).]