WineBoard
USA 1, Costa Rica 0 - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: USA 1, Costa Rica 0 (/thread-13318.html)

- ddf68 - 04-27-2001

I have just returned from Kansas City where I am happy to report yet another victory in our 2002 World Cup qualifying campaign. You may say that Steamboat to K.C. is a lot of driving for a soccer game, but then you'd be forgetting the BBQ. Here are the results from my 24 hours in K.C.:

Gates--Best ribs (short ends) I've ever had. Good spicy sauce. No wine, beer only. (This was a pleasant surprise as it is a chain that I had intended to avoid. Also, I should tell you that this was dinner after the game and, well, I may have had a few beers.)

Winslow's Beans smoked for three days were the high point here. And this is not a criticism of the meats. The beans were simply amamzing. As this was breakfast, I didn't investigate the alcohol options.

Lil Jakes Eat it and Beat It Burnt ends and pulled pork were very good. Sauce a bit too sweet. Spicy jambalya side was noteworthy. No alcohol.

In other news, Brazil, playing at home, managed only to draw against Peru. There are reports that, towards the end, the Brazilian crowd was throwing its Brazilian flags on the field in disgust. To me, this looks like a step towards not qualifying, but maybe I'm missing something.

ddf

- barnesy - 04-27-2001

Oh, Good Lord...

Everybody hunker down for the Brazilian tirade from Roberto.

Barnesy

- Innkeeper - 04-27-2001

Used to stop at a place just east of K.C. on the way from Omaha to Knob Knoster called Gates City Barbeque. Is that the genesis of the Gates-Best chain? And didn't you have any pan-fried chicken?

- ddf68 - 04-27-2001

I am not sure where Gates came from. They apparently have a headquarters in downtown K.C. I didn't see in my researches that any of their K.C. locations was billed as "the original" or anything like that.

No pan fried chicken. Was there only long enough to focus on the Q.

ddf

- winoweenie - 04-27-2001

Lived in Kansas City for 4 years in the 50's. The original Gates was just downtown off 32. Ole pappa Gates did every Rib, Briskit, Chicken and sausage. Closed at 12 week-days and 2 on Sat nites. All the musicians in K.C. made sure they finished their gig in time to get some eats. If the club they played in was open till 2 they sent one of the girlfriends out for pick-up. Long time ago, lots of great memories. WW

- RAD - 04-27-2001

Now we have just GOT to start a BBQ thread!

I've got a whole bunch of favorite places down in GA, my old stomping grounds. When I was in college, I used to drive on Friday nights on a two-lane road about 40 minutes north of town to a little shack called "BBQ Barn" that sat in the middle of a pasture. It was only open Friday and Saturday evenings, 5-8. Inside were a bunch of picnic tables; on each table was a roll of paper towels and a loaf of Sunbeam white bread. You ordered the chopped pork plate, which came with slaw--all you could eat for $5. My buddies and I used to see who could set the record for the most--my cousin holds the record with 3 full plates.

ddf68, keep the BBQ reports comin'!

RAD

- Botafogo - 04-28-2001

No tirade, just fact:

Chances of Brasil not qualifying: 0%

Chances of Brasil being in the final four: 100%

Chances of Brasil winning an unprecidented FIFTH World Cup: 50%

I will repeat, when the actual starting team all come home from earning gigabucks in Europe (and doing all the Frenchies and Spaniards girls!), the team will rock as always.

Roberto