WineBoard
Shameless book plug - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Shameless book plug (/thread-13273.html)

Pages: 1 2

- chittychattykathy - 08-28-2000

I've gone ahead and ordered your book from Amazon, after reading the last few posts I didn't want to wait any longer! (Along with a German "Street Slang" book for my trip.)

[This message has been edited by chittychattykathy (edited 08-28-2000).]

- mrdutton - 08-29-2000

Foodie, received your book today. Amazon.com sent it out priority mail (complimentary) instead of regular snail mail.

Will inhale it as soon as possible.

- winoweenie - 08-30-2000

Foodereeno, I`ve put my breath on " Bate ".I`ll let you know on arrival. Have spent 213.00 on garlic and olive earl. winoweenie

- mrdutton - 09-02-2000

WW-how did you arrive at $213.00 for garlic and olive oil? What did you do, get the first pressing from the first harvest afer the last full moon and then buy some bulbs of garlic grown in the finest of topsoils?

Foodie - the book was great and a number of the recipes have been noted for future reference to try out in my own kitchen. I would have read it in one sitting, but work got in the way. So it took me a couple of days to get through your book. Everytime I sat down to read, it held my attention! I really liked your stories about your travels through Europe. They reminded me very much of my own travels when I was a young man in the Navy.

I found one error, I think. You mention on page 170 that 10 grams of olive oil includes 9 mg of vitamin E and 100 g of vitamin A. I wondered at your ability to put 100.009 grams into a 10 gram container! I think you meant to say 100 mg of vitamin A. A very moot point, to say the least.

(Reminds me of the days, as a sailor, when we said it was impossible to pack 10 lbs of BS into a 1 lbs stocking. This comment was usually reserved to describe an order from an officer who we thought did not know what he was talking about.)

I also found myself disagreeing with your addition of olive oil to the water when you cook pasta. The olive oil coats the pasta and prevents the sauce from penetrating into the noodles. A lot of "classical" cooking I've observed has recommended against the additon of the oil to the water.

The whole point of the sauce is to flavor the pasta; if the pasta can not absorb that flavor because of its oily coating then why bother with the sauce?

Otherwise a GREAT READ! I am REALLY GLAD I bought the book!

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 09-02-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 09-03-2000

Glad to hear they now have pasta entrees in Northern Italy. When last there, in June '69, we made stops in Ortisei, Gardone-Riviera, Bellagio, and Stresa. There was plenty of pasta in brodo, but for entrees all we could get was veal and spinach. Local wines were fantastic though. Like many other Italian travellers say, "Couldn't tell you what they were."

- Bucko - 09-03-2000

I'm sure IK meant IU (international units) of vitamins -- A, D & E are not referred to as mg usually, whereas Bs and C are. Go figure......

BTW, I like to add olive oil to the water myself -- the noodles don't adhere and make a mess.

Bucko

- Thomas - 09-03-2000

Thanks all. It is gratifying to know that my peers like the book.

And thanks to Dutton's sharp eye--which two editors seemed not to have--I have something to fix for the second printing.... By the way Dutton, the amount of olive oil I recommend in the ater could not possibly penetrate the noodles, but even if it did, I do not subscribe to the belief that the sauce needs to saturate the pasta; I want the flavor of the sauce to "dance" atop the pasta so that I can take it all in and the way I cook pasta (al dente) makes it difficult for sauce to penetrate it.

WW, sending your signed copy this week.

- winoweenie - 09-03-2000

WELL IT`S ABOUT TIME!!! SEEMS I`M THE ONLY ONE WITHOUT A COPY. HATE IT WHEN I`M FORCED TO REMAIN SILENT. WW. Sorry, MrD did I say 213? It was only 207.33.