WineBoard
I can't move soon enough - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: I can't move soon enough (/thread-13272.html)

- Tyrrell - 01-15-2004

I rent a town house with three friends. The rent is an incredible bargain and low rent was just what I needed to find when I dragged my been-in–grad-school-for-way-too-long carcass back home to Minnesota four and a half years ago. One downside of living in a place that is this cheap is that not every single one of my neighbors is the sort of upstanding citizen that I would like to have as my neighbor.

At 6:30 this morning I hopped into my car to go to work and drove about five feet (enough to put my nose out into traffic) before both of the rear wheels fell off of my car. Someone had taken the lug nuts off of my rear wheels. I’m certain that I haven’t upset any of my neighbors personally. My best guess is that it was children being randomly destructive. If I’m right about it being children I’ll never know who they were and I doubt that their parents will ever learn what happened. The children will not ever receive any discipline regarding the incident and they may never learn any respect for the property of other people.

The downside of living in a culture where neighbors tend to be strangers to one another I guess.

- winoweenie - 01-15-2004

Wow there Ty what an absolute BUMMER. My son and his family live in Minn and are confirmed Minn-eee-sootaans. All of the prople I met there seemed to have a fairly large sanity button. I Hope it was kids.WW

- Kcwhippet - 01-15-2004

Let's hope those kids grow up before they have kids and pass their current values down the gene pool.

- tandkvd - 01-16-2004

I empithize with you TY. We lived in an older neighberhood for 12 years. Our house was built in 1936. It was a nice house but the neighborhood went down hill. We lived between 2 duplexes. We had good neighbors for the first 9-10 years. After that they started to change occupants regulary. And you never knew who was living next to you. I never had any vandilizim to that extent. But when our daughter was chased by some low-lifes, while taking a walk we knew it was time to move. I drive past there sometimes and it looks like we got out just in time, it's been 4 years and it doesn't look like the same neighborhood.

- wineguruchgo - 01-16-2004

Ty I can sympathize with you. My neighborhood is not great with gangs, drug dealers and low lifes. The really sad thing is that it isn't the homeowners, it's the rental units that are producing it.

I am involved with a community policing program here and it's amazing how fast the police department works when you are standing in front of them.

Within hours, and I mean hours, all of the drug dealers and gang bangers were removed from my corner and they never came back.

I keep my fingers crossed because many of the apartment houses are being converted to condos so the "element" is being forced out. If this continues to happen then hopefully the neighborhood will continue to grow and flourish.

If you have a local community policing organization please join. I'm sure if you pull up the website for your police department you will get information. If not, I certainly would ask the police to put you on their priority list. Here in Chicago they have a list and the police do a drive by several times a shift. They are more than willing to help you deter the little monsters from pulling pranks that can result in harm to you or someone else.

Just ask for help. More than likely you will get it.

- Innkeeper - 01-16-2004

Even in our town of 2500 souls, the same things can happen. About ten years ago, an absentee owner rented out her house until she could get back to town. Her first tenents were low life of the first order. We had to form a neighborhood watch committee to keep things under control. We still suffered a lot of vandalism. Now the ower is back, sunk many $Ks into the place, and now it is a showpiece.

- marleyspud - 01-16-2004

What ever happened to disaplining your kids, and teaching them to have respect? MS

- wineguruchgo - 01-17-2004

Marleyspud,

That would mean you actually gave a s**t about your kids and what they were doing.

My friends and I pulled pranks when we were teens, yet never anything that would injure someone.

There was a guy that had an old VW Beetle and we would move his car so when he came out in the am he didn't know where it was going to be. It's funny because the guy never set his emergency brake. Must have liked the game as much as we did!

- tandkvd - 01-17-2004

Marly, I guess you haven't been to a high school for a while. My wife teaches at a high school and she can't even get in touch with alot of parents to let them know how there kids are acting at school. The ones she does get in contact with, most don't realy care. They feel that it's the teachers problem during the day. I'm shure that Georgie can relate to that with some of the elementary kids. My wife was a teachers assistant for a couple years in the 3rd and 4th grades. She says that from the 4th grade to high school there is a huge transformation. Parents are giving up on their responsabilitys to raise their children.

There was an insadent a week ago where 7 teenagers (2- 13 year old, 1- 14year old, 3 15 year old, and one 18 year old) stole a car. A police officer saw the car driving aritacly, when he turned on the blue light the kids spead up to over 100 mph. They ran off the road hit a tree and kiled all 7 kids. This happened at 12:00 at night. They are trying to put the blame on the police officer. But I say what were these kids doing out that late at night with an 18 year old.

By the way one of the 15 year old kids were driving, and the 18 year old was suspected of armed robbery earler that day.

Sorry for ranting on but irresponsible parrenting is a hot topic for me.