WineBoard
I need a new ISP - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: I need a new ISP (/thread-13263.html)

- wineguruchgo - 02-13-2004

Hello All,

I need a new Internet Provider. I'm currently on AOL and would like to change.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

- Thomas - 02-13-2004

Check with your local phone company--they usually offer connections, and/or your cable company.

- winoweenie - 02-13-2004

WineCGuru. I'm immensely please with cable. Here in Az it's Cox. The connection times and downloads are far faster than my ole' feeble fingers or mind can fathom. Cost is less than DSL and 10x faster. WW

- Kcwhippet - 02-13-2004

We have cable modem through our cable company and the speed and service are exceptional. Our phone, cable and electric company are all town owned, so we have bit of a different situation than most.

- Innkeeper - 02-13-2004

Have tried out cable connections at expositions, in hotels, etc. It is fantastic. The only reason I don't change is plain old fashioned stubbornness. If I felt I had to change, would go with cable.

- ShortWiner - 02-13-2004

I'm currently working on making the switch to cable (Earthlink, in this case). Don't blame you for wanting to get away from AOL--I don't believe I've ever heard it recommended by anyone, and every time I have to use it (usually helping one of my parents with something) I get mad.

There's a good site with lots of info about high speed service. I think it's www.broadbandreports.com

edit: yep, that's the one, just checked.

[This message has been edited by ShortWiner (edited 02-13-2004).]

- PinotEnvy - 02-13-2004

My opinion on ISPs is to go with a small local company. This is to help avaid the mountain of spam. Spammers try combinations of names with the most common domains (AOL, hotmail, yahoo, msn, etc) because they are most likely to get a real address. I personally use one from my Alma Matter's alumni association, then use a yahoo account wherever I need to leave an email address. Keeping spam away from my regular account.

As a side note, to further avoid spam, there is a site called mailinator (www.mailinator.com) that will give you a temporary account (lasts 1 hour) so that you can respond to a confirmation email if needed. Again this keeps the spam away from you.

PE

- wineguruchgo - 02-14-2004

Thanks all!

Believe it or not, I don't have cable! I live in a city and I get local broadcast crystal clear. I don't watch enough television to warrant me getting it.

DSL is also out because I have a problem with my computer and frankly I don't want to spend the money there either!

My heating bills are $350.00 per mo. so every penny does count!

I took the Pinotenvy's advice for others have said the same thing and I switched to a small, local company. I'm hoping that the spam thing is true because that gets old quick!

Thanks again for all of your time!

WGC