WineBoard
Bah! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Bah! (/thread-13250.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

- dananne - 11-14-2006

LIbertarians here, as well.

- VouvrayHead - 11-15-2006

Libertarian Celiacs! Heart of my Heart!!!

- winoweenie - 11-15-2006

I dropped out of the Republican party per se 14 years ago and have been a registered Independent since. This last election I opted for our Dem Govenor and Dem Attn'y General. Both have knowledge, integrity, and have done a whale of a job here in my beloved Az. McCain will be my choice in 08. He's the real deal.WW

- hotwine - 11-15-2006

Have been a dues-payin', card-carryin' member of the GOP since 1970, when Pres. Nixon ordered an attack on the NVA bases in Cambodia. They ain't perfect, but then neither am I.

- Glass_A_Day - 11-15-2006

My only problem with McCain is he is just as bad the current dude on immigration. Guest workers my patootie! It's an amnesty program plain and simple. Then they try to tell us that they are doing the work Americans won't do. Well, end the wellfare state and all the "citizens" on it will have to take the undesireable jobs rather than spending my money.

- wondersofwine - 11-15-2006

I could see myself possibly backing John McCain or Senator Chuck Hagel (Nebraska and a Vietnam vet)in the Republican party or John Edwards, etc. in the Democratic party. I'm not certain about Guiliani. My hope is that both parties nominate a candidate that is more moderate and mainstream rather than extreme right or extreme left. The fact that the last two Presidential elections came down to one state (Florida in 2000 and Ohio in 2004), indicates that the country is pretty evenly divided and probably a centrist candidate would have a chance of election.

- Bucko - 11-15-2006

"probably a centrist candidate would have a chance of election"

Probably? They'd cream their opponent IMO. Rudy G. has the best chance for the Repugnants. I have no idea on the Demo side right now -- the only ones making noise are the extreme left.

- Thomas - 11-15-2006

GAD, you need to update your argument: the welfare system reform of a few years ago has actually worked across the country.

Anyway, welfare and illegal immigration are as related as chickens are to bison.

Come to MA foodie and we will see who needs an update. In fact come to my lowly town of Holyoke and I will be happy to take you for a tour and we can see just how much wellfare reform has helped. Then I will take you for a ride to my neighboring town of Springfield. Just as bad if not worse. Don't believe all you read or see in the mainstream media about issues like this. Talk to someone who is in it like me. Who has friends who teach in the system who see mothers having more children just to get more welfare. I also own rental property and see all the assistance these so called needy people get. There is absolutly nothing wrong with them and they get Section 8 to pay their housing, food stamps to pay for their food, heating assistance even though heat is included in their rent, wellfare for their spending money, and Masshealth for 100% free health care!!! Yeah, reform has really helped. LOL. These same tennants have two cars with wheels and tires that cost thousands of dollars. But they can't work because they hurt thier back or some nonsense. Then I see them carrying a new leather sofa up the stairs. That bad back must not be so bad. Then off to a nice day of fishing in THEIR boat!! Now seeing all this I can say from experience that welfare and immigration are absolutly connected. Temporary assistance has become a lifestyle and those from Mexico are comming to do the jobs of those in that lifestyle. I think your bison just laid an egg...

- Thomas - 11-15-2006

GAD, you seem to harbor some serious anger. Don't let that eat you up; you are too young for that. [img]http://216.81.73.156/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 11-15-2006).]

- Bucko - 11-15-2006

Unfortunately, Foodie, the political nastiness has had a detrimental effect on the country.

A Demo House candidate in the Seattle district lost to a Republican, and Seattle is pretty far left. Why? All she did was run a nasty campaign. She never said what she was going to do, only how bad her opponent was doing (who is only a first-termer). I think people are weary of the bull$hit.

BTW, you are right in your advice to GAD. Don't let the BS get you down, and do not let yourself get caught up in the anger and bitterness.

- VouvrayHead - 11-15-2006

Cheers, Bucko.
With you there...

As far as Bison and Eggs, why not open immigration for everyone and no welfare for anyone? [img]http://216.81.73.156/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by VouvrayHead (edited 11-15-2006).]

Hey guys, I'm not angry or down. Just very acquainted with reality. My life is the happiest kind as a newlywed, new homeowner, and wine lover. However, I do feel a need to be realistic when these discussions come up. If you take it as my being angry, it may just be the way typing comes off. It is actually just matter of fact and I was serious about giving a tour to anyone who thinks welfare reform has done anything. How come when I tell of my experience and make some very telling points, I am just called angry? The term I prefer is correct. I may be a bit fed up and that is justified. It is the fact that more people aren't that keeps the status quo. Now I'm not sure where Foodie lives and I'm sure he has traveled and is well read. However, without living in it and seeing your family's home town destroyed by it, it's just a TV show or an article in the NY Times to you.

- Thomas - 11-15-2006

GAD, you are right about having no idea where I am or where I come from, and if you knew you'd know that I don't make comments lightly. I probably know more about poverty than you will ever see--I lived it, and I don't appreciate being lectured by people who don't understand it. But I try not to jump to conclusions over the Internet, something that would be a benefit for others to learn.

Your post wreaked of anger--you can't blame a writer's voice on typing skills. Sorry, I tried not to engage in this kind of dialogue, but as I said, I don't like being lectured. I'll discuss all night--but I won't be lectured.

- dananne - 11-15-2006

Having come from a Norwegian immigrant family that worked to "Americanize" as quickly as possible (was given the name Daniel Christopher instead of Vegard Thorfinn, much to my later dismay), it's an important issue for me. I did not like the talk about immigration, and cast several votes against "send everyone back home" candidates in this election. I was a lifelong Republican (started working on campaigns at the age of 13, met Barry Goldwater at his 80th birthday party, College Republicans, the whole nine yards), but have more recently dropped away and started thinking of myself as an independent/Libertarian. I'm liberal on social issues, conservative on matters of economics and size of government, and a realist when it comes to foreign policy. Kind of like a Republican from the old days. The problem with this past election is that the GOP moderates from the NE, MW, and the W got slaughtered, so I think the party will move even farther to the right. It may not bode well for more moderate Republicans in '08, like Rudy (who Anne and I both like), or McCain (big fans here). If the Dems put up Hillary, it'd probably help their cause, since so many people would vote GOP to simply vote against her, but if they put forth someone who has the appearance of being more moderate and reasonable (Obama, Edwards, etc.), the Dems could muscle the GOP off the middle turf needed in a close, swing election. It'll be interesting to watch what transpires.

Listen Foodie, if you know what you say you know and come from poverty then I have even less respect for your rantings. Yes I am fed up with those who don't take responsibility for themselves and live off the system... meaning me. Poverty has NOTHING to do with the welfare problem. Laziness does and my town is full of it. My grandfather would walk a mile to pay back a dollar. That was instilled in my father and on to me. Hard working dirt poor immigrants making life easier for each of the following generations. If you truly knew poverty you would be equally disgusted by all those who abuse the system. I did not come from any money. Everyone in my family is self made which it seems you are for what you have written. Therefore I am baffled that you would defend the dregs of society. I hate to use the "people like you" line, but truly this is why we are where we are toady. If people took responsibility for their own actions and plight we would be better off. But no, they wait for the Foodies of the world to feel sorry for them with a handout. Sometimes saving the world can continue the problem. People need to work towards their own solutions. I understand poverty. I have no sympathy for those who do not help themselves. Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life. No lecturing Foodie. Just relaying my experience. It's funny you didn't comment on any of what I said I experienced personally. Instead you said I couldn't understand. Well, I understand abuse. Seen it over and over first hand and if more people got a little fired up over what they saw, maybe we could make a change.

[This message has been edited by Glass_A_Day (edited 11-15-2006).]

PS: GAD is not non immigration. I am against ILLEGAL immigration. I am not anti welfare. I am anti abuse. We all come from immgrants. I'm surly not one of MA's native Scotsmen.

- Bucko - 11-15-2006

Don't lie to me, Foodie. Your wife lectures your sorry a$$ every day. [img]http://216.81.73.156/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

And you should see what he writes to her Bucko! [img]http://216.81.73.156/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- Thomas - 11-15-2006

Rant? Me? GAD, you are kidding--right?

Phrases like "people like you" among other generalizations that you make preclude me from responding. I don't see the percentage in talking to a made up mind. But I do want to say that I agree with something you posted:

"Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for life."

And what have you done lately to teach someone to fish?