WineBoard
Has "W" been assimilated by the Borg??? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Has "W" been assimilated by the Borg??? (/thread-13209.html)

- Botafogo - 11-27-2000

Was that an android or a prozac ad? As a disinterested pagan anarchist who voted for his deceased dog I must ask, after witnessing the President Presumtive attempt to "unite" the nation tonight, "does Jim Baker have a remote control for that puppet or is it preprogramed?" Sony could do better for $399 at Toys 'r' Us!

Made Reagan look like Robin Williams.....that man NEEDS a nice glass of wine.

Roberto

- Bucko - 11-27-2000

The whole mess has been an insult to the American public IMHO. Courts and lawyers MY A$$!!!

Bucko

- Drew - 11-27-2000

Once upon a time, there was a blind snake and a blind mouse crawling through the forest and they just happened to bump into one another.
>"I'm sorry creature,” said the snake.
>"Me too" said the mouse..."sorry"..."Hey could you tell me what kind of creature I am? cause I'm blind."
>"I can't" said the snake..."I'm blind too, but maybe if I curl around you and feel you, I can figure out what you are from what I've heard."
So the snake curled around the mouse and said, "Well you're furry, got a pointed nose and small sharp teeth and a long tail.... I think you're a mouse!
>"Wow, a mouse...Now I know!"
>"Now tell me what I am", said the snake.
So the mouse felt the snake and said, "Well...you crawl on your belly, have a forked tongue, you're slimy and cold blooded...from what I've heard, you must be a lawyer!"

Nuff said,
Drew

- Botafogo - 11-27-2000

Bucko, I think the scandal here is that we are using rediculously antiquated machinery with margins of error larger than the differences of votes to run elections. The dirty little secret is that MILLIONS of votes in many elecitons past and present have not been counted properly.

- Bucko - 11-27-2000

You are exactly right. We need a national ballot. If Canada can make it work, so can we.

Bucko

- hotwine - 11-27-2000

You guys are right, we do need a national ballot. But I doubt that even this fiasco will overcome the passion for "local option" on that issue, for the simple reason that the current chaotic system provides the opportunity to cheat, and a national ballot would presumably remove that opportunity.

The wail of the Florida Democrats will not soon fade: "We cheated fair and square, and we did it right on national television, and it still wasn't enough! It ain't fair! We want another recount!"

- Bucko - 11-27-2000

My Grandmother, rest her soul, was an election official in a small Oklahoma town for many years. They used the old punch card system. They ran a vote tally thru the machines, then being small, they reran the cards. EVERY time they got different results, took an average of the two and certified the results.

My point is that every time punch cards are handled, the little chads fall out, get poked, get pregnant, }:>, yada, yada. It is time to come into the 21st century. Walk towards the light..... walk towards the light......

Bucko

- mrdutton - 11-27-2000

The State of Delaware, small though it be, uses electronic balloting, according to my Father. Very modern and it seems to work says he.......

They use a voting booth, you push a lever, a light lights and then you must pust the BIG BUTTON that says "Tally your vote" or something like that.

After you push the big button your vote is recorded.

Until you push that big button, you can change your mind a much as you wish. Light the damn thing up like a christmas tree. However, it will not let you vote twice, it will not let you vote for more than one candidate for the same office.

Seems okay to me. I did not enquire about write-in votes.

- Thomas - 11-28-2000

In many parts of the U.S. the concept of states rights trumps reason. Having a national system for national elections seems as reasonable to me as having national standards for lower education--but states rights precludes allowing for either. Just like if you commit murder you would best do it in a state that has no death penalty than in one that does. Talk about ridiculous!

- Catch 22 - 11-28-2000

This too is ridiculous. Bore says he wants to make sure that "every" vote is counted. But he is only requesting hand recounts in a few heavily Democratic counties instead of the whole state. I guess it depends on how you define "every".

- hotwine - 11-28-2000

Bore is obviously using Clinton's dictionary: "It depends on what the definition for 'is' is."

- Botafogo - 11-28-2000

No, it only makes sense to ask for recounts where it will help your cause and the other side had (but did not exercise) exactly the same rights. What shocks me is how people transfer the wishes of 100 million people to one man as in "Gore is a sore loser". He SHOULD be fighting for his party, his supporters and his views, that is democracy. If he DIDN'T then he should be written off as a poor specimen of humanity.

People in the US have never experienced the sort of true passion and resulting turmoil you get in countries like Italy, Brasil or Israel where EVERY election is close, contested and matters.

Again, a pox on both their houses, we've simply GOT to get better candidates.

Roberto

- winoweenie - 11-28-2000

BOTOFUGO FOR PRESS SECRETARY1 BLESS THAT SILVER-TONGUED LIL` DEVIL winoweenie