WineBoard
Ray Charles left us today at 73.... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Ray Charles left us today at 73.... (/thread-13195.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Botafogo - 06-10-2004

but packed 200 years of live and art and soul into those 73 years.

Tell me what I say INDEED! Roberto

A friend of mine suggest he should lie in state in the Lincoln Memorial, I like that idea!

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 06-10-2004).]

- Innkeeper - 06-10-2004

I could go along with that. Ray was a fantastic person and musician.

- hotwine - 06-10-2004

One of my all-time favorites. Talk about a hard life! Good summary at http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040610/D834BPC01.html

- newsguy - 06-10-2004

an absolutely amazing musician. and like many great artists, he had his share of obstacles and demons to overcome. but he conquered them, and left us an incredible legacy.

i vote right now to adopt his version of "america the beautiful" as our national anthem.

can i have a second?

- hotwine - 06-10-2004

Who are you gonna get to sing "his version"? There are no duplicates running around loose. We'd better stick with what we've got.

- winoweenie - 06-10-2004

Such Sadness! I'll do my own memorial using his talent tomorrow AM. WW

- Thomas - 06-10-2004

Yeah--sad day at that. I loved the man's music and talent.

- tandkvd - 06-10-2004

I also liked his music and admired him for his talent.

But according to an AP artical I read on Yahoo....

"Charles was no angel. He could be mercurial and his womanizing was legendary. He also struggled with a heroin addiction for nearly 20 years before quitting cold turkey in 1965 after an arrest at the Boston airport."

And like WW said...

"Can't remember the last time I met a man or woman without fault, a politician without an agenda, nor a salesman who never told a lie."

Just wanted to keep it fair and balanced. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

I did not realise HW posted the same artical I had read.

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 06-10-2004).]

- chittychattykathy - 06-10-2004

One of the top concerts I've ever experinced was Ray at the Opera House here in Seattle.
Two of my favorite songs he's covered; "You don't know me" and "It's not east being green."
Don't ask about the second one-- it makes me cry just thinking about him singing it...

- Thomas - 06-11-2004

All true tand, but the measure of him is that he never tried to fool anyone into thinking he was anything else but a blind man with talent.

- Botafogo - 06-11-2004

Foodie, I have to disagree: Mr Charles was the first African American artist to DEMAND and GET total crative control and ownership of his masters thus creating a BUSINESS that was equal to his talent. He went out of his way to tell everyone about this and how important it was.

As to his addiction, has anyone ever seen his interview in Playboy where he points out that "People think that junkies ain't nothing but lowlifes because that is all they ever see in the newspapers. No one ever writes about a guy like me who has his own recording studio, production company, record label adn radio station, employing hundreds of people, who HAPPENS to be a heroin addict but doesn't bother anyone with it..."

Mr. Charles is getting completely disrespected today because of the unfortunate timeing of his death. He deserves MUCH more recognition and tribute than he is going to get. He ALSO changed the world and EVERYONE loved him.

The Nightlife ain't no good life but it's my life....

Roberto

- tandkvd - 06-11-2004

EVERYONE loved him?

I liked his music, and admired him for what he accomplished musicly. Especialy beeing blind.

But that statment is equal to saying that EVERYONE loved RR. I new that was not the case. Especialy in the wine and cheese crowd.

BTW, todays wine is Moselland Arsvitis Riesling. And Crona Light with grilled hamburgers tonight.

- Botafogo - 06-11-2004

Tank, find me someone who has a bad opinion about Ray Charles and I will wear a Morning in America button for a week...

- Botafogo - 06-11-2004

I have a challenge for PepsiCo:

Revive all those wonderful commercials that Mr. Charles did for you for a month and give half of all the profits to music education in elementary schools. That would be GREAT PR and might get some hard core coke drinkers to jump ship (maybe even Curmy in Hell)...

- Thomas - 06-11-2004

Roberto, don't see how what Ray did was trying to fool anyone into thinking he was not blind and that he had no talent. My point: he was real, not a facade, like most politicians, who usually are blind but try to persuade us that they see clearly and who usally have talent for creating the illusion that they have talent.

I know, I know--very cynical of me. But no more cynical than bending the truth for personal diefication.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-11-2004).]

- californiagirl - 06-11-2004

foodie- I don't usually interject in the political stuff- but I don't feel that anything that you've stated is cynical in the least. It's factual... and life. Some people choose to see life for what it really is... and some people choose to see life in rose colored glasses. I prefer the former. As long as the glass is half full and not half empty.

- Thomas - 06-12-2004

Thank you CG, that is exactly how I try to run my life...with one exception. I want my glass to always be fuLL! [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

- Botafogo - 06-12-2004

Foodie, what I meant was that he was MUCH more than just a talented blind piano player...

- winoweenie - 06-12-2004

Talented AND with some faults. WW

- tandkvd - 06-12-2004

I am sure that no one is loved by everyone. And I believe that this will be hard for everyone to accept, but there is probaly someone in this vast universe that doesn't love sweet ol me. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

Now after you pick yourselves up off the floor.

Roberto, I realize that a lot of people view the free market the way you do. A profitable and productive company, should give most of it's profits to a failing government program, i.e. the public school system. (mind you my wife works for the public schools). I think the biggest mistake Pres. Bush has made is the No Child Left Behind Program, But that is a whole differant discution. And if we keep throwing money to the government programs, we will all be lucky to have our glasses 1/4 full.

I just think that someone benifiting from the free market, shuch as you and foodie would see it that way.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that companys should be charitable. But responsible and prudent.

We got home from the OBX tonight, and the only thing in the freezer that could be made without much work was some frozen pizzas. I opened my last bottle of the Higueruela Grenach, that I got from you Roberto, it was very good. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 06-12-2004).]

[This message has been edited by tandkvd (edited 06-12-2004).]