WineBoard
and tonight's dinner ... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: and tonight's dinner ... (/thread-1318.html)

- joeyz6 - 12-11-2002

Steak au poivre, flamed with cognac. Would a Saumur-Champigny work, in your opinions?

- Innkeeper - 12-11-2002

Might be a little weak. Would go with at least a journeyman Bordeaux.

- hotwine - 12-11-2002

That's what I was thinkin', too. Plenty of 'em in the $20-$30 range here, and should be much less in France.

- wondersofwine - 12-11-2002

A couple I met in Charlotte (he's a retired law enforcement officer from Long Island) love Saumurs and recommended them to me. Guess I will have to find and try one.

- joeyz6 - 12-12-2002

Unfortunately I didn't see your responses in time and went with the Saumur. I was thinking the same thing, it was a little too mild for the meal. Actually, I didn't have any journeyman Bordeaux in the garage anyway ... but no big deal. The wine was very nice, though. It was an old-vine 1999.

Saumur and Saumur-Champigny (as you probably know) are Cab Franc, and the S-C appelation is definitely my favorite Cab Franc in the Loire. It goes with a lot of food, tends to be very smooth, and shows some complexity, especially the old-vine bottles. Domaine Filliatreau is another reliable bottle that I've found. It should be available back in the States. If you can find the old-vine, I would recommend that. Supposedly it can age for 10-15 years.

- Thomas - 12-12-2002

If there is one red that has trouble with beef--especially au poivre--it has to be a Loire Cabernet Franc. They are a little lean, to be sure. But they are fantastic with some rich meats of the organ kind--calves liver, et al.

I know its late for you Joeyz, but a nice Bordeaux Superieure often makes for a pleasant yet inexpensive evening of wine and steak--can get them for $10, the wines not the steaks...

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 12-12-2002).]

- Innkeeper - 12-12-2002

The last Saumur-Champigny I bought was from Garnet Wines & Liquors in New York (http://www.garnetwine.com/). The do sell over the net, but don't know their shipping policies (written or unwritten) as I have not tried to buy from them that way. Bye the bye it was tough hauling it and a very nice Chinon all over the city in a tote (including the Metropolitan Museum of Art); but well worth the enjoyment both provided months later.

- joeyz6 - 12-12-2002

Thanks for the tip, foodie; even if it was too late for last night I'm sure there will be more dinners like it in the future. Live and learn ...

By the way, I can get a 300-gram, very good cut of sirloin here for about 6 euros! There's a great butcher here in town.

- Thomas - 12-12-2002

Yeah, and that $10 Bordeaux I mentioned will cost you a lot less than that, to be sure.

- hotwine - 12-12-2002

Just be sure that sirloin is BEEF, and the critter didn't leave its saddle on the butcher's floor. Seem to remember encountering a number of glue factory fugitives in French (and German) restaurants.

- ShortWiner - 12-12-2002

Hey, I had me some really delicious horse stew in a Verona restaurant once. Yummy!

- joeyz6 - 12-13-2002

Believe it or not, in the meat section at grocery stores here there are a few shelves of horse meat. Haven't tried it ... not planning to either.

My butcher is trustworthy though. He's a great guy, he loves Americans!

Yeah, I can normally get a decent-to-good Bordeaux for about five euros.

- Innkeeper - 12-13-2002

According to my rithmatic that sirloin is costing you $10/lb. Not, that that is terrible, but not a great deal either.

During my self financed summer abroad in 1960 at the College International de Cannes, we were fed horse at least once per day. We also were fed at lot of rabbit which the Italians (half the student body) claimed was really cat. Naaaaaaaaaay & meow.

- Kcwhippet - 12-13-2002

I had horse meat frequently when I was living in Paris back in the middle 70's. The first time I had it was with some friends at the company I was on loan to. They didn't tell me what it was until the meal was over, when they asked me how I liked the steak. I thought it was delicious, and after I got over the image of cutting into roast Trigger, I had it many times more, and thoroughly enjoyed it. A similar episode occurred when I was living in Taiwan in the early 80's. I was working in a small town south of Taipei for a few months and went up to Taipei for a week of R&R. Since I'd about had my fill of all that Chinese and Taiwanese food, I decided to try every Western style restaurant I could find. There was a great place that made terrific hamburgers, and I had my fill over that week. I found out from another American staying in my hotel that the fifty cent hamburgers weren't beef, because those would have cost about $5. Rather, they were dog meat, and I learned the Taiwanese actually raise dogs on little ranches for food because they're supposedly a good source of animal protein. Didn't have any more fifty centers after that. I would go for the horse in France again, though.

- joeyz6 - 12-14-2002

The sirloin is about 20 euros per kilo, which makes about nine euros per pound.
For the quality and the trust factor and the service, it's worth it!

KC and IK, maybe I'll try the horse sometime ... one day when I'm feeling adventurous. Of course, the question is, what wine goes with horse meat? Depends on the sauce, I suppose.

- winoweenie - 12-14-2002

Saddlebrook Zin naturally, Silly-boy. WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-14-2002

How about a Cheval Sauvage Cab from Wild Horse?

- hotwine - 12-14-2002

Horse meat has a subtle, sickening, sweet undertone that I just don't care for. Would not even offer a guess on an appropriate wine to pair with it.... a stiff blast of cognac, maybe, to get past the taste....

Eatmorebeef

- Thomas - 12-14-2002

Horse meat is ok with me--few things are not, when it comes to dining.

If memory serves me, and that is becoming a chore, horse meat does have a sweeter taste than its bovine counterpart. But I think a fruity Bordeaux (maybe Merlot-based) or a Crus Beaujolais would do well with it.

In parts of northern Italia horsemeat "tartare" is a delicacy that pairs rather well with wines of the Valpolicella.