WineBoard
Yearly recap and wine resolutions thread - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Yearly recap and wine resolutions thread (/thread-13163.html)

- dananne - 01-01-2008

I would love to hear from the folks on this board on the following topics:

1. Favorite wine of the year?
2. What special bottle was finally opened this year?
3. Your favorite "value" or "house" wine this year?
4. Your "wine discovery" of the year?
5. Wine-related resolutions for 2008?

I'll start:
Favorite wine this year was probably the 2005 Ken Wright Elton Vineyard Pinot Noir or the 2005 Harvest Moon RRV Pinot Noir. Anne would probably toss in the Acacia Beckstoffer Vineyard Pinot Noir for a 3-way tie.

A "special bottle" we finally opened this year was the '98 Beaux Freres Pinot Noir, which we bought on our 7th anniversary back in 2002 and opened last week on Christmas Eve.

Favorite "value/house" wine might actually be an '05 Fleurie Beaujolais from Duboeuf, though (as always) we drank a lot of Vina Alarba. Also on the value list this year might be the '04 CMS red from Hedges.

Best "wine discovery" this year was the iconoclastic stuff from Harvest Moon. Also had a blast "discovering" some neat Austrian reds.

My/our wine resolution is to get better versed in Italian wines, though we say that every year and never end up doing it. Also I would like to resolve to drink more Cab. We hardly ever drink Cab, mainly because the nicer ones we started buying as we got more into wines just haven't gotten around to maturity yet, nor have the ones we bought on our '05 and '06 trips to WA or the trip this year to Sonapanoma. So, hopefully a few Cabs will start to find their way into my glass.

[This message has been edited by dananne (edited 01-01-2008).]

- TheEngineer - 01-02-2008

DA, I'll give this a go.

I've not tried Bucko's 1996 Krug but the NV krug was pretty impressive for me. It had an intensity that I was not prepared for in a champagne and if I had to pick a memorable bottle for the year, then that would have been it. $150 a bottle.

With so many friends in the Boston area having left year, it was the year of no real special bottles opened. I felt really bad too about this as I didn't have any for me. There were two semi-special bottle that I brought with me to two occasions, one was a 1970 L'Arrosee that I brought to a business meeting and another was a bottle of 1966 Ch. Trimoulet that I brought to a friend's wedding.

Without a doubt, 2005 Bodegas Vinos Pinol Ludovicus for $8.00. In a close second (and second because there is no supply at the price that I saw at the winery), Domaine Sigalas in Santorini and their Santorini Whites at the equivalent of $6.00. WS had this in their top 100 for close to the US release price of $16.

There were so many this year as I went all over the place to try wines. I think that it would be a tie between the Loire Valley wines (as big as it is)...for areas like Chinon Anjou Saumur and their Cab Francs, Savennieres and Vouvray for their Chenin Blanc and the likes of Baumard (Quarts de Chaume as well)and Coulee de Serrant, etc,. But the second area that really blew me away this year was BC's Okanagan wineries. Their wines were really good this time, some much better than their established counterparts in the Niagara region. They are not world class yet but in the few years, the jump made in quality has been very noticeable.

Hehehe....easy, drink more, buy more carefully and learn to enjoy a few more locations.

- wondersofwine - 01-02-2008

Favorite wine tasted may have been from a charity tasting--the 1998 Clos L'Eglise, Pomerol or 1998 Chateau Pavie St. Emilion and the 1994 Robert Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve.

Favorite bottle purchased and consumed--2002 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Urziger Wurzgarten Riesling Auslese*.

Finally opened a Volnay Les Santenots from Alex Gambal that I bought several years ago.

Value wine is Wynn's Coonawarra Black Label Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia, and Baroja Rioja Seleccion Especial, Spain. (Wynn's Cabernets are prominent in an article in the latest issue of "Wine Enthusiast."

Will have to think more about wine discovery--possibly the Elyse Chenin Blanc from Mendocino and the McManis Viognier and the Desiree chocolate-infused dessert drink from Rosenblum.

Want to learn more about Italian and Spanish wines in 2008 (and budget better for wine purchases.)

- Innkeeper - 01-02-2008

Our favorite wine of the year was the '99 EOS Petite Sirah. Other contendors were the '01 and '02 Tobin James Private Stash, and the '96 Angelo Sassetti, Brunello di Montalcino.

The "special" bottle was the '03 Glenora Vinters Select Riesling that we opened for our 44th anniversary.

The value of '07 was the same as '06 & '05; Finca El Portillo Cabernet Sauvignon. This is IMHO a contendor for the best wine in the world for under $10.

Our "discovery" of year was actually discovered by Mark. His was the '02 but ours was the '04 Knapp New York Merlot. What made it a discovery was the two strikes it had against it (New York appellation and a Merlot). Hung in there with recommendations from Mark and Gene, and enjoyed an absolutely delightful wine.

Resolution for '08: Pop a wine sometime near the end of this month!

- brappy - 01-02-2008

I'll try this....

1. This is tough! I don't think I can narrow this down to just one. I'll narrow down by old world aged, old world not aged, new world aged, new world not aged.

Old world aged - This would be a toss up between 3 wines... Lafite '82, Montrose '90, Marquis de Riscal '70... All these wines were stunning. I believe my favorite to be the Riscal '70. This wine is in its peak window. Great stuff... not to mention the release price on this was probably 1 or 2 dollars.

Old World not aged - Also a toss-up... Clos Erasmus '04 and 2003 Ponsot Clos St.-Denis Vieilles Vignes..... I'm probably more impressed with the Ponsot but only because I've been sooooo disappointed with so many Burgundies lately. I couldn't put the Ponsot down. I drank way too much during that tasting.

New World aged - This is close also... Heitz Martha'a '74, Grange '79, '86, '88 and Swan Zin '74. Since the Zin was my biggest surprise, I'll have to go with Joe Swan.

New World not aged - Too many to list but the favorite would have to be Rudderless Shiraz '05. I'm still waiting for my Allocation.

Special bottle: Grange '79 for Halloween....

Value: Loan Shiraz retails for about $25 and drinks like a $100 dollar bottle.... Unbelievable juice!!!

Discovery: Too many wines so I'll just list an idea.... It's not as expensive to start a cellar as one thinks. Start with Spain and Australia (Ex. Penfold's). Buy the inexpensive wines and watch them age.

Resolution: Work on time management so I can spend more time drinking wine and not just tasting.......

mark

IK, I'll have to try the '04. Hattie and I are going to try to get up to NY this Spring.

- wondersofwine - 01-03-2008

Happy New Year Mark (and Hattie.)
Some of my favorite Burgundies have been from Morey St. Denis. Chambolle-Musigny is another favorite appellation.
Are the Rudderless Shiraz and the Loan Shiraz widely available? I'm not familiar with either. Have you tried the Hope "The Ripper" Shiraz? It's one I enjoy that I feel would also be a crowd pleaser. Oops, you replied earlier when I posted on Hope "The Ripper" so I guess you have tried it.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 01-03-2008).]

- TheEngineer - 01-03-2008

Mine too! I love especially G. Roumier's Morey Saint Denis. See if you can find his '99 or '02's and those are a treat. the '00 and '01's while not as great a vintage, offer some great aromatics so I would not avoid them either. All should be around $50-$75 a bottle so not cheap.

- hotwine - 01-03-2008

Favorite: Antinori Tignanello.

Specials: some oldies from Riojas and Ch. Lagrange, '94 T-F LBV.

House wines: Brillant Sancere, just about any Spanish Garnacha, Hillaire CdR.

Discovery: Brunello. Can't get enough! And Toscano IGT. And found that Barbaresco works better than many PNs when a menu suggests a PN pairing.

Resolutions: Give more away to educate family and friends.... currently about a case per month. Buy more Italians and Spaniards and St Juliens. And don't hesitate to share the good stuff with F&F.

- brappy - 01-03-2008

Happy New year to you too Jane! Hattie asked when you were coming back this way.

Neither wine is easy to find. Rudderless is extremely limited but not super expensive. Can't remember exactly, but somewhere near $50. The Loan is easier to find but that's probably not saying much. Both are imported by the Greatful Palate. Put an order in at your regular shop and see if they can get it. Both wines are under the radar, sort of.... at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions on the Burgundies. I'll taste if the opportunity arises. I hate dismissing an entire region so, I will look for those specific suggestions.

I like the idea of trying more Italy. But where to begin? So many grapes, regions, producers etc., etc., etc....

mark

- hotwine - 01-03-2008

Braps, I've had good luck recently with Chianti, Chianti Classico, Barbera, Brunello, Barolo, Barbaresco.... Just pick an entry point for price, plan a menu that matches your selection, and go for it. But by all means, keep the menu in the decision loop. The food is all-important.

- brappy - 01-05-2008

Thanks Hotwine.... Maybe I'll start in the north and work my way to the south. Or should I go the other direction? Either way, thanks for the advice!

mark

- VouvrayHead - 01-05-2008

1998 Vilmart Cuvee Creation

hmm... none, really. Had a terrific Italian Syrah with 7 years on it... Forget it's name, though! Will be opening 2 exciting wines in next weeks, I'll post on them!

Easy! 2005 Cuvee des galets (vin de pays du Gard) non filtre. $8.99, $8.10 after case discount. strawberries and dirt! yum!

None, really. This just wasn't a big wine year for me. Next year will be better!

Drink more good stuff (will be easy since I'm once again employed!) and post more often here.

- wondersofwine - 01-07-2008

Brappy,
I'm thinking about a trip to DC/Baltimore area 27-29 March (returning to North Carolina on the 30th.) A friend lives near Annapolis, another in University Park, MD and my cousin's widow (who has remarried) lives in Annapolis so I may try to visit Annapolis area one night and DC two nights or vice versa. I know your schedule is pretty frantic but would you conceivably be able to meet up with us in DC or Annapolis area?

- brappy - 01-08-2008

Jane,

This far out, I can't say for sure. But, The 27th does look good. Maybe an early dinner in Annapolis. I'll put it on the calendar at work. Hopefully this will stick.

I don't know much about the restaurants in Annapolis, but I'm pretty much game for about anything.

Keep me posted about the 27th. There's no way I can get out of the other dates but this one should be do-able.

Thanks Jane,

mark

- wondersofwine - 01-08-2008

Okay. I'll note it on my calendar also.

- hotwine - 01-09-2008

Just realized I hadn't answered Mark's question.

Suggest you start in Tuscany with Chianti Classico and Toscano IGT; then try Barbera (esp. d'Alba), then Barbaresco, then Barolo, then Brunello. That's just an opinion, in trying to move from the simplest and (cheapest) to the most complex (and expensive). (Although that kind of generalization needs all sorts of qualifiers..... some of the IGT wines ain't cheap in anybody's book!)

I tend to ignore wines from places south of Rome. Fair? No, just preference.

- brappy - 01-10-2008

Jane,

By the way, I noticed in your earlier thread, you wanted to taste more Spanish wines. I happen to have roughly 400 different Spanish wines in the cellar. So let me know an area of Spanish interest and I'll do my best to get some great examples of the area or style you want to taste.

I'm looking forward to this as is Hattie, so I hope everything works out.

mark

- wondersofwine - 01-11-2008

I seem to like the traditional-style Rioja wines (basic Tempranillo, crianza, gran reserva, etc.) I tried an interesting white Rioja yesterday (Cautivo) and bought two bottles. Also like Albarino. Not that familiar with wines outside Rioja area so almost any would be educational.

- Scoop - 01-17-2008

Please forgive the late entry, but it has been a tasty year on the wine front, so I thought I'd share a little as well.

Favorite wine of the year? Almost impossible to name one. On the aged side, it was easily the 1982 Chateau Lynch-Bages -pure hedonism, with plenty left in the tank (opened at a friend's dinner party!). Another highlight: Col d'Orcia's 1999 Poggio al Vento Brunello Riserva, my "best of tasting" selection from the Benvenuto Brunello trade show, with notes of game, deep black cherry and porcini on an endless finish. And a surprise mention, perhaps, on a less-exalted level: Dry Creek Vineyard's 2004 Somers Ranch Zinfandel, possessing all the classic Zin character, with complexity and balance (and under 15% ABV).

The special bottle: the 1997 Pierre Luneau-Papin L d'Or Muscadet Sevre et Maine. Yes, an aged Muscadet that is mind-blowingly good, a garden full of flowers, rocks and beeswax. One the THE great producers in the Nantais.

Value: the 2006 Chateau Lamothe de Haut Bordeaux blanc, a perfect aperitif white, with a generous dose of Muscadelle for character.

Discovery: the incredible depth of quality of Rosso di Montalcino, especially the 2005 vintage. I'm yet to be disappointed.

Resolution: keep expanding horizons, both geographically and grape-wise, through tasting (drinking) and travels.

Cheers and "guten Rutsch",

Scoop