WineBoard
Australians in the Languedoc - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Australians in the Languedoc (/thread-13100.html)

- Innkeeper - 06-04-2003

Very interesting article in last Friday's WSJ (May 30, '03). Don't know if it is on line, but you may still have it lying around. Talks about how BRL Hardy is revolutionizing wine production in the Languedoc. In short they have done what the Mondavis couldn't. They have created a new brand from what was originally a small domaine in the area. It is called La Baume, and since BLR Hardy is now part of Constellation Brands (the largest wine company in the world now), we may be seeing the wines here soon. Allegedly they are very nice, and priced from $6 to $18. They are varietals of the standard grapes, cabernet, merlot, and chardonnay. They have gained a good foothold in England and elsewhere. We shall see.

- Thomas - 06-04-2003

Did you notice in that article the winemaker's buzz words for obliterating place identification and going strictly for New World wines that refer to the grape variety only? I did. He claims the consumers have no need to know where the wine comes from, just what grape it is produced from--he makes no clarification statement about the percentage rulings. Under the Constellation Brand banner we are in for a real wild ride.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-04-2003).]

- Botafogo - 06-04-2003

Thomas, would you like to co-host a conference on "Wines for the New world Order" for all of these technocrats and help me poison their food?

I just ran the president of "Cabernet Corp" out of here after he showed me four "Argentinian" wines "made" by Californian guys with Australian technology and you could not tell the Syrah from the Tannat from the Malbec. When I asked what the point of Tannat with no tannin was they answered "so someone who wants to taste Tannat but doesn't want to drink tannic wines can enjoy it" which reminded me of the ads for Baffert's "Gin" whic is advertized as the "Vodka Drinker's Gin" because it has almost no flavor....

The guy said that he had tasted all sorts of Argentinian Malbecs and Tannats and "none of them were any good so we brought in our team to make these". When I asked him if he had tasted those wines at a typical Charrascaria style Argie Meat Lovers Hoe-Down (where they would be PERFECT) he said he had not tried them with food.

Let's kill them before they breed, Roberto

- Kcwhippet - 06-04-2003

Tannat with no tannins? Vodka drinkers' gin? What's the point? Pretty soon those guys are going to be making Pinot Noir that tastes like Zin that tastes like Mourvedre that tastes like ....... ad nauseum. I sure hope those types don't catch on, but you all know they'll be selling oceans of it soon in restaurants to folks who don't know any better.

- Thomas - 06-04-2003

Roberto, the surest way to poison their food at the conference would be to throw some of their own wine into the sauce--if they don't choke to death on an oak chip, maybe they'll die from an abundance of blandness in their bellies.

Constellation Brands--a great name for a company that will lead us out of earthly culture!