WineBoard
Woodinville, WA - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Woodinville, WA (/thread-13068.html)

- stevebody - 03-09-2006

I just wanted to rave a little about the 'hood: I don't know how it is in every wine region but, here in little ol' Woodinville, the friendliness and cooperation between the wineries - even the hulks like Ste. Michelle and Columbia - is remarkable. I hear all this rumbling from over in WallaWallaLand - so'n'so is a putz, this guy doesn't like that one, etc. - while around here Matt Loso at Matthews lends his facilities to other winemakers all the time, guys will help one another crush, help with bottling, trade marketing ideas. And they're just such decent people. Bob Betz is one of the nicest guys I've met in years, not just one of the most agreeable winemakers. Bob Bertheau from Ste. Michelle is a rabid football fan and comes in just to talk sports and is up to a BUNCH of adventurous stuff in the winery. Mark McNeilly of Mark Ryan is the biggest breath of fresh air I know; it makes my day just to talk to him on the phone. And the people at DiStefano have been the biggest supporters we've had. There has been exactly one winery that's been a small pain and they shall remain nameless. I get to work every day and find myself whistling, laughing more, and in No hurry to leave at night. It's been 12 years since I felt that way walking into a restaurant. I can only hope that you guys have something that lights up your days like this little joint - and our hometown - does for me.

P.S.: Plus - not unimportantly - the wines being made here right now are staggering. Betz's Pere de Famille came in yesterday and it's one of the damnedest things I've tasted or smelled in years. I can say things only slightly less effusive about a LOT of wines made here. This is gettin to be a lot of fun...

- Bucko - 03-09-2006

I hear all this rumbling from over in WallaWallaLand - so'n'so is a putz, this guy doesn't like that one, etc.
That has not been my experience at all -- in fact just the opposite.

- wondersofwine - 03-09-2006

Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself, Steve. Are the customers nice too?

- Kcwhippet - 03-09-2006

I'm with Bucko (whoda thunk it). When we were in the Walla Walla area, we met quite a few winemakers, sometimes in groups. They all seemed to get along very well with each other and were even swapping tips. I don't believe I ever heard any one of them badmouth another. All the way from Yakima to Walla Walla, they were all wonderful people.

- winoweenie - 03-09-2006

I'm both amazed and bemused by your post. (Not unusual considering my impression of your initial viscereal posts) You still haven't satisfied my questions regaring your poats about the restaurants you claimed to own in the south but declined to name. Glad your're providing access to wines to prople in the great Seattle area. WW

- stevebody - 03-11-2006

Bucko,

It isn't epidemic but I had one of the young guns of WW in here the other day and he had several things to say about other winemakers that weren't exactly complimentary. And, just one name: Larry Krivosheim. I've talked to a lot of people who just don't like him at all and I can't understand why. I like the guy a lot and he's always been nice to me. I don't want to make it come off like an indictment of Walla Walla; far from it. I think the best wines in the state are from there. It was more to point up Woodinville and the rather remarkable sense of community here. (If you want the name of the young gun, contact me directly at vinellawines@yahoo.com)

WW,

I've made a vow for years that I wouldn't name the restaurants as long as my partners asked that I not. For a long time, I didn't even admit to owning them. But, I finally decided that it made no sense just to ignore a large part of my life because I couldn't name names. Anyone who doesn't want to buy anything I write here is welcome to do that. I respect your opinions but I can't break basic rules I made for myself just to gain your trust. I hope you understand. FYI, I no longer have an interest in three of the four. I sold off my shares to my partners to do VinElla. I'll probably unload the other one by the end of the year, to try to acquire 28 acres in Zillah for planting. At this point in my life, I'm thinking that the title "ex-restauateur" would be a great thing to have.

[This message has been edited by stevebody (edited 03-11-2006).]

- Bucko - 03-11-2006

Larry Krivosheim?! You mean old Digger as he is affectionately known? He was a mortician you know. Yeah, Larry is not exactly at the head of the pack in winemaking circles. Pretty much a curmudgeon as well. He's having fun though, and doesn't give a hoot in hell what anyone else thinks. Wait, are we talking about Foodie? [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]