WineBoard
Here in St. Louis - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Here in St. Louis (/thread-13039.html)

- stevebody - 12-07-2004

Raves for the friendliness of almost everybody we've met since arriving in St. Lou Sunday. Some lady I didn't know from Adam responded to my request at craigslist.com about wine tastings by making us a "care package" of treats from her kitchen and local gourmet food shops. I met her last night, a short, round firecracker, originally from Minneapolis, who is spending her retirement years in the Central West End district of St. Louis and loving it. And the staff at the Rehab Institute already has Judye popping off bump-over transfers like an old pro.

Rants, however, for the first two wine shops I visited Monday. "Modest" wouldn't even begin to describe the selections and the staffs were clueless, to a man. It's dicey, I know, to just open the yellow pages and start visiting shops you have no info about but I don't know anybody here who's a "serious" wine geek, so it's trial'n'error, baby. Fortunately, with two weeks to kill, time to explore won't be a factor.

Any further suggestions are VERY welcome.

P.S.: Had the toasted raviolis last night. Nice, quirky stuff but nothing that I'd travel out of my way for.

- Kcwhippet - 12-07-2004

OK, here are a few shops in, or near, St. Louis. First off is The Brown Derby, probably the best in the area - They're having a sale right now on 2001 Beaux Freres Les Cousins at $19.99, regularly $39.99. They're actually in Chesterfield, just west of St. Louis. The St. Louis Wine Co. is supposed to be pretty good, too. Then the rest - Vintage Room, Bussone's, Wine Merchant Ltd, Grape Vine Wines.

- Innkeeper - 12-07-2004

If you get a chance; recommend scooting out to Mt Pleasant Winery in Augusta. It is about ten miles west of town. Nice stuff.

Mount Pleasant Winery ~ 5634 High Street ~ Augusta, Missouri 63332 ~ 800-467-WINE

- Kcwhippet - 12-07-2004

A good combo trip would be to go out 40 past the airport to 94 south to Augusta to Mt. Pleasant Winery. Then on the way back, after you pass the airport on the way into St. Louis, you go through Chesterfield where you can stop at Brown Derby. That's the Rt. 141 exit south off Rt. 40 to Clayton Rd.

- Kcwhippet - 12-16-2004

So, SB, did you get an opportunity to visit any of the local wineries or get out to the Brown Derby in the past week and a half?

- stevebody - 12-17-2004

Wineries, no. Brown Derby, yea. Ashamed as I am of bring such an incredible homie, I bought wo bottles of McCrae Viognier to give for gifts. Also bought a St. Francis Reserve Cab.

Also ate at a FABULOUS little Italian place on The Hill, called Mama Campisi's or something like that. Carbonara to DIE for! (and probably die from. Oooh, my achin' arteries!) Ate at Blueberry Hill, where we watched the Seahawks beat the Vikes, to some curious stares from nearby Rams fans. Did the Walk of Fame, hung out in the Central West Inn, sopped at Straub's. Yep, quite the St. Lou shindig. We've had a good time. Now, on to Chicago...

- wineguruchgo - 12-18-2004

Steve,

While in Chicago you have to go to Sams on North Avenue and Marcie Street. Bring your checkbook! You will be entering the largest, independent retailer in the country.

Most of the people in the store are really helpful because they work only one aisle.

If you are looking for rare bottles, you have to stop in to John Harts Fine Wines. They are located at 363 W. Erie St. Want a 1926 Château Lafite-Rothschild - They have one available for just under $500.00.

Chicago is a serious wine town. I think you will like it!