WineBoard
American Express service - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: American Express service (/thread-13033.html)

- Thomas - 03-01-2010

Over the years, I've been impressed by the service that American Express has provided, especially whenever there's been a billing problem.

This morning, at about 8 I get a call from Amex. It appears someone was trying to download from iPhone at 7:30 am with one of our business cards. iPhone does a $1 test run to verify the card use. Amex somehow got suspicious and called us, and of course we never tried to download anything at 7:30 in the morning.

My wife says the last time she used the business card was at a hotel in Dallas in January. We believe that may be where the theft of the number and security code took place, and now we have to carefully scrutinize the next Amex bill.

Just recently the hospital where my wife had her gall bladder excised has been running our credit card through each month since September for the same charge (plus they sent us a collection notice for the same charge). The charge was paid in September!

Amex kept canceling the charge until, finally, I asked them to block that hospital from ever using our card again. They did.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 03-01-2010).]

- hotwine - 03-01-2010

Glad that worked out for you, Foodie. I had a different experience with AMEX several years ago.... had been using it to pay for Internet service, and decided to cancel that ISP - and that company continued to bill my card for many months afterward. AMEX refused to block the charges. I finally had to cancel the card entirely to get rid of them. I had had that card for over 30 years.

- winoweenie - 03-01-2010

My experience with AMEX was very similar. As a cardmember sine 1968 and one of the 1st 100 platinim Card members in 70-something I was notified last year my card would now be cancelled because of inactivity. Since then I've cancelled probably 7-9 Visas and MCs because they decided to either charge me to carry their stupid cards or put a usage charge on them. Stupid cards....I now have a Visa that has a large enough limit that I don't need any others. I HASTE BANKERS, even the ones that make me money. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 03-02-2010).]

- Thomas - 03-02-2010

WW,

The credit card industry is becoming one massive scam. I've been systematically canceling cards, as soon as they do something like try to charge an annual fee or, like the Mastercard (for business) that I just canceled because they got the payment one day late (the first time in 20 years) and they decided that was worth both higher interest and an exorbitant late fee.

I called them, got them to wipe out both the interest and the late fee, and then I canceled the card.

With Amex I must simply be lucky, as I've heard others haven't had the kind of service I've had over the past 30-plus years with that company. If and when they try to pull something, I will go without credit cards. I've never let convenience get in the way of my principles. When I am a customer I expect to be treated like one and not like an adversary.

- andrawes76 - 03-02-2010

Credit card companies are doing some massive deceptive trade. Discover charged a previous balance charge on the paid amount coupled on the unpaid amount which is absolutely illegal. How many people do they do this to that do not even pay attention? Plus I just got informed that my AMEX card which I use for biz lowered my credit limit due to a fraudulent merchant services scam from First Data Global Leasing. I pay the entire freakin balance every month.

Beware of those a$$holes (first data global leasing)... Its not easy to be in business these days and earn an honest living. So many people have resorted to cheating. The fact that Fortune 1000 companies do so will no doubt be the result of a decline in their subscribers and patrons...

Makes me bloody sick. Now I gotta go down some syrah or something.

- wondersofwine - 03-03-2010

My main gripes are with American Express over mishandling of things back in the 70's when I was in Heidelberg and Chase Manhattan credit card (now canceled.) I won't have an American Express card again unless they apologize to me which I doubt they ever will. I was happy with the interest rate on my Capital One credit card but when they proposed raising it, I made it an inactive account that I am now paying off. I have one active credit card (Bank of America) and that is plenty. (Oh, and a Belk card for department store purchases.)

- andrawes76 - 03-03-2010

Guys, I think its better anyways to have one or two credit cards. This way we have better control over what we spend and are charged. Less chance of identity fraud, and probably smarter so we don't drink too much good wine in Vegas and extend our line of credit :-)

WOW, AMEX will never apologize. Neither will FEDEX for being terribly irresponsible with my account...