WineBoard
W.S. vs Mondavi - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: W.S. vs Mondavi (/thread-13026.html)

- Innkeeper - 06-29-2001

In the July 31, 01 edition of W.S. our favorite wine writer, James Laube, spends his entire column dissing Mondavi for making elegant wines instead of jam bombs (A Question Of Style At Mondavi). If any of you can interpret this any other way, please let me know. All this is leading me to believe that the wine world is being polarized much like the political world these days.

Personally, I think the Mondavi empire is doing a lot of things right these days. Their Coastal brand is one that anyone in the country can pick up for a picnic or even dinner for $10 and have a nice wine. The Coastal Chardonnay while not completely devoid of oak, is the closest thing to a Maconnaise that is massed produced in California.

- ddf68 - 06-29-2001

I haven't read the Wine Spectator article yet, but I have read Parker's latest issue on Northern California. He had much the same to say--harsh criticism of the Mondavis for playing away from Napa's strengths (ripe, lush, fruity, hedonistic, etc.). I haven't had any of the Mondavi '98s and maybe they're not up to Mondavi standards, but I have a hard time believing the criticism I read was warranted. We all know what Parker likes and he (and Laube) are certainly entitled to their stylistic preferences. However, being an effective critic requires some objectivity and Parker seems to have lost it, at least with respect to the Mondavis.

For the opposite viewpoint, read the Steve Tanzer/International Wine Cellar, e.g., "Mondavi is intentionally crafting wines that can be consumed with dinner, as opposed to high-alcohol, heavily oaked monsters that are more appropriate as meal substitutes."

ddf

[This message has been edited by ddf68 (edited 06-29-2001).]

- Bucko - 06-29-2001

I'm with you. IMHO WS and Parker have hyped these huge, overripe, overextracted, high alcohol bombs to the point that they are considered the "acme" of winemaking. Horse hockey! I don't and won't drink the stuff. Give me a finesseful wine anyday.

Bucko

- winoweenie - 06-29-2001

Is this the same Buckster who advocates a finessful dram of Grappa with his Post Toasties in the morn? WW Also on the post, I think that Mondavis' wines have improved markedly since the 94 vintage

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 06-29-2001).]

- barnesy - 06-29-2001

I picked up the Mondavi Coastal Zin a few months ago and was quite happy with the purchase. My new wine shop has his coastal pinot noir as one of its special picks. I haven't picked it up yet, but will. Nice thing is, Mondavi is one of the accounts we distribute. I should be able to buy some off the dock for pretty dang cheap.

Barnesy

- Bucko - 06-29-2001

Yes, and hold the Toasties.....

Bucko

- Thomas - 06-30-2001

Well guys (and gals) one of the things bugging me about these over-hyped bottles of chewable glop is that I encounter many customers who know nothing else and who are disappointed with real wine, like the elegant 95 Les Alles de Cantermerle (2nd label) or a striking Priorat, like the 98 Buil and Gine or a gem, like the 97 Leonardo di Castris Primitivo di Manduria; all of these wines are not only wonderful drinkers, they are perfect to enjoy with food too.

I spend a lot of time trying to wean the people whose taste buds have been bombarded so heavily that elegance and finesse represent whimpy to them.

- Bucko - 06-30-2001

Well stated Foodie, something like the elegant beauty of a Grace Kelley versus the wham bam of a Pamela Anderson. Many people go for the silicon.....

Bucko

- Thomas - 07-01-2001

I'd likely agree with you if I knew who Pam Anderson is...

- winoweenie - 07-01-2001

Dumster!!! That's Hans Christian's Niece. WW

- Thomas - 07-02-2001

you're too much...but wasn't that Hands Anderson, the guy who pinched all the ladies!

- wondersofwine - 07-03-2001

Is Hands Anderson a descendant of Gropius?

- Bucko - 07-03-2001

No, but a relative of Goldfinger....

- hotwine - 07-03-2001

Hmmm, he who was also known as Wanderus Digitalus.....

- Innkeeper - 07-04-2001

It never ceases to amaze me how the otherwise sane members of this board can take a serious subject and warp it into complete absurdity.

- Thomas - 07-04-2001

IK, which one of the above posts was absurd? I can't find any!!!

- Innkeeper - 07-04-2001

Think it was a person with the handle Foodie.

- winoweenie - 07-05-2001

I'm personally offended that you can attact such an uprite and intelligen' feller' as ...............???? where be I? WW

- wondersofwine - 07-05-2001

IK-who said we are otherwise sane?
But on a sane note, I agree with your points about Mondavi's wine efforts. I was grateful for ddf68's citation of a different view from Tanzer.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 07-05-2001).]