WineBoard
Wine with Thanksgiving - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Wine with Thanksgiving (/thread-1297.html)

Pages: 1 2

- littlefools - 10-15-2003

I know it's a bit early, but I try to plan my menu well before I cook so I know what I am having. Whats a good red wind and a good white wine to go with a turkey dinner? I usually have a good crowd so I like to have variety.
Tammy :~)

- hotwine - 10-15-2003

How do you plan to prepare the turkey? Roasted? Smoked? Grilled? Deep-fried in peanut oil? And what sort of fixin's will you have, in the way of sides and condiments?

- wondersofwine - 10-15-2003

I like Beaujolais with roasted turkey although zinfandels and pinot noirs are also pretty good matches. Gewurztraminer or Riesling wines go nicely for whites. Last year I gave folks a choice of a Beaujolais Cru or a Gewurztraminer.

- dananne - 10-15-2003

Last year, to celebrate this most American of holidays, I picked a Norton (an American grape) from a N. Georgia winery. The year before, I picked a Zinfandel (another grape considered American, though it didn't originate here). At the time everyone (read: my wife) clamored for a Pinot Noir, which is what I probably should have opened, as the Zin completely dominated the Tofurkey (no, that is not a typo -- I'm vegetarian, but feel free to insert a joke here, as I have a wonderful sense of humor, especially around the holidays [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img], the mashed 'taters, and the dressing.

I think this year we're going to open an older Rioja, among other things.

Be sure to let us know what you pick and how it matched with everything!

- wineguruchgo - 10-18-2003

The rule of thumb years ago used to be white wine with white meat and red wine with red meat. Unfortunately it isn't that easy anymore.

I would definately stick with a Chardonnay for white because of the low acid %, yet be careful not to get one that is over oaked! Since it is a special occasion, I would say to treat yourself to a nice Chablis from France. It is 100% Chardonnay and I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the grace and elegance of this wine. California wineries of the 60's & 70's squashed any chance of Americans embracing Chablis because of the infamouse jug wine! Try it.

As for red, personally, I would stay away from the powerful wines (Cab, Zin, Meritage). They will overpower the food and the food is always #1!! I would stay with a lighter style wine such as Pinot Noir, Valpolicella and yes, even Beaujolais. These wines will not compete with the food, only enhance it. Again, because it's a holiday I would spend a few more bucks and get a decent bottle.

- Innkeeper - 10-18-2003

There is a world of difference between what wine goes with turkey, and which ones go with Thanksgiving. A simply roasted turkey matches with a number of whites and light reds. We recently enjoyed Australian Riesling with a smoked turkey.

Thanksgiving is another story. Typically you are talking about a wide variety of very stong flavors. Collectively they obiliterate the backbone of lighter wines. Last year we sprung for a Loring Gary's Vinyard Pinot Noir, which is no fawning doe. Being somewhat poorer this year we will go back to the old reliable zinfandel. We have a Tobin James French Camp ready to go. We usually provide one of the better White Zins for the weaker of heart.

- randery - 10-19-2003

Variety? You say Variety LF? Hah! How's this for variety?
We're doing Thanksgiving this year for BOTH families (oy vay). Since (by demand of MY 100% Italian side) there will be trays of meat and no-meatlasagna (they think Neapolitans landed at Plymouth rock, for God's sake), in addition to stuffed roasted turkey, a challenge is presented. The food is the easy part. The wine is going to be interesting if not contentious. 34 people, mostly wine drinkers, some claimed (albeit self-annointed)experts (non-moi BTW) multiple ethnicities, two vegetarians and impossibly varied tastes.Could really be fun. There will be all the standard veg sides, pumpkin and apple and pecan pies and, of course, fruits and nuts and ice cream. My dear Sandi Lynn (very Irish)and I have tossed this around.Here goes: Of course Carneros or NW Pinot Noir; Some Beajolais Nouveau and valpo will be chilled and available; Chianti Classico for the carnivore lasagna eaters; By request, a bottle of "white" zinfandel and a typical oaky chard (Penfolds?); A SA or NZ Sauvignon Blanc; some Cava and (I'm open to suggestions for) maybe a sherry or late harvest riesling in addition to coffee, Bailey's etc.(Jack Daniels by IV push at 10:00 pm for yours truly). Hic.

[This message has been edited by randery (edited 10-19-2003).]

- Georgie - 10-19-2003

Holy Founding Fathers! That will be some feast. Actually I went to a similar Italian-American Thanksgiving last year. Not only did we have turkey with all the usual sides, there was also lasagne AND roasted fresh ham! Oh and don't forget the stuffed artichokes! Of course fresh fennel, ricotta cheesecake, fresh fruit and about five predictable TG-type pies came out at dessert time. The young couple hosting the event got around the wine issue by simply asking everyone to bring along whatever they'd like to drink. It worked out wonderfully; we got to taste a lot of things we wouldn't have normally and a great time was had by all. You might consider this as an option to your having to come up with something to please everyone.

- randery - 10-19-2003

Hey Georgie, I think that's an idea. Usually, but not always, when guests bring wine, I simply add it to a rack. Maybe this time we'll do exactly as you suggest for any requests beyond the PN, nouveau and Classico. This in lieu of yet another dessert!I'll bet you had a hoot of a time. It really is a fun feast.

- littlefools - 10-20-2003

Holey Moses, I got more info here then I bargained for!! Sorry, a little late replying back, but I plan on roasting the turkey in the oven. In the past, I usually grill the turkey outside on my grill, but since that is sitting up at my land in the whip, whirling wind, on top of a mountain, I plan on staying here in my little house in town, cooking the old fashioned way. (We are currently in process of clearing 14 acres, getting ready to build a house in the spring)

- wondersofwine - 10-20-2003

randery,
Greenwood Ridge makes a nice late harvest Riesling (in select vintages). Lot of residual sugar, but if you are looking for it as a dessert wine, it would be a possible choice.

- hotwine - 10-20-2003

There are two schools of thought on how to handle gifts of wine from dinner guests. One school says it's an insult not to serve that wine with dinner; while the other school says the host has the privilege of choosing wines for dinner, and if he chooses some from his own cellar, that's OK. I play it by ear... if it's a really nice wine, I'll offer it with dinner. But if it's supermarket plonk, I'll put it aside and return it intact to the giver at the end of the evening. That's as gentle a way as I can think of to say, "Your wine was crap and I didn't want it to spoil the meal."

- randery - 10-20-2003

Thanks wonders, I'll look for that riesling and give it a go. Hottie. I don't think its ever an insult not to serve the gift wine, although I served a Greg Norman Cab brought by friends to a dinner we prepared for them. On the other hand our most recent 2000 Sutters Home gift acquisition sits hard by the range, where we use it for cooking. I wouldn't want to hurt someone's feelings by giving the wine back. But I do not feel obligated to serve it. I suppose one could say that a gift of some unidimensional swill or supermarket plonk (although wine is not sold in grocery stores here in CT)is an insult in itself. But that posture presumes the giver has some basic knowledge of wine and its quality. Interesting dilemma.

- Bucko - 10-20-2003

What goes with popcorn dressing?

Just in time for all of us to get ready for Thanksgiving:

Popcorn Dressing
2 cups dry bread, chunked
l tsp. Sage
¼ tsp. Rosemary (ground or leaves)
l/2 tsp. Pepper
¼ tsp. Salt
2 cups Popcorn (uncooked)

Combine ingredients and place in cavity of Turkey. Bake in 350 oven, allowing approximately 20 min. per pound. Turkey is done when the popcorn blows the a$$ off the bird.

[img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- wineguruchgo - 10-21-2003

Randery - if you are looking to put the whole brood to sleep (for some peace and quiet for 1/2 hour) I would serve some Calvados with some tea.

It's my favorite and it always puts me to sleep when I've had a bad day.

Gonna get some right now - come to think of it!!

- randery - 10-22-2003

WG, isn't Calvados an apple brandy? That ought to enhance the L-triptophan stupor alright. I'm thinkin' "reservations" now!

- Georgie - 10-22-2003

Please be sure to put that recipe in the cookbook, Bucko! [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 10-23-2003

This will be the 3rd year we're spending Thanksgiving in Mexico at Rocky Point. We take a Turducken down with us ( a chicken stuffed in a duck stuffed in a turkey with sausage and oyster dressing and the usual veggie culprits. I take a mixed case of Nouveau, Zinfandel(Cline Ancient vines) Beringer White Zin for my grandaughter and another case of stuff to drink with other food. My Great-Grandson is now 4 and has informed us there will never be a change in scheduling as he loves the beach. So far none of the daugerts have joined us. This is one of the great shrimp growing ares in the USofA and we've been going there on vacations for about 16 years. I've taught my favorite retaurant on the beach the nuances of how to assemble a shrimp omelette. Also they know they had better have a tequila sunrise on my table before I sit or their tip will suffer greatly.WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Kcwhippet - 10-23-2003

Mexico is in the USofA? Or did I miss something?

- winoweenie - 10-23-2003

Continent...KC...Continent. Land Mass...Drivable from Phoenix in 3&1/2 hoursly.WW SHEESH!!!!