WineBoard
Adventures in wine and baseball matching - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Adventures in wine and baseball matching (/thread-12951.html)

- ddf68 - 10-30-2001

'96 Ferrari-Carano Siena. An equal parts blend of Cab, Merlot, and Sangiovese. This time around this wine showed its Cab and Sangiovese. Cab provided some body and tannic structure and sangiovese provided predominant flavors of cherry and strawberry. Merlot was nowhere to be found. Perfect. This wine still needs to resolve some tannin but is drinking nicely.

'98 St. Innocent Pinot Noir O'Connor. Yet another success in a very good year for St. Innocent pinots. Dark ruby, cherry nose, intense black cherry and a bit of cola sparkle on the palate. Some tannin on the finish. All this for only $20.

Much as I liked these, my glorious Yankees lost to the desert upstarts the nights I had them. I have concluded the problem is poor wine and baseball matching on my part. Oregon is an emerging wine region, much as the Arizona is an emerging baseball region. Ditto for Cal-Ital blends. Tonight I think we'll have to go with an Establishment wine, something with the legends to match the storied traditions of the pin striped wonder of the modern sporting world we know and love as the New York Yankees. I'm sure that'll get things back on the right track.

Go Yankees!!!!!!

ddf

- barnesy - 10-30-2001

Keep your "we"'s to yourself. I am a card carrying anti-yankee.

Barnesy

- ddf68 - 10-30-2001

Barnesy, that was an imperial "we". I don't generally use it, but this time of year, as the Yankees write the next chapter in their glorious dynasty, those of us who revel in Bronx might and glory start feeling as though imperial vocabulary is appropriate.

Hail Jeter.

ddf

- winoweenie - 10-30-2001

And also Barnsey, DDf63&1/4 is finding a smaller and smaller voice to hearld his (giggle) STORIED? Yunklees. Jes' in case they happen to win a game or three, THEM SUCKERS STILL HAVE THE PLEASURE OF RETURNING TO THE VALLEY AND FACING SCHILLING AND THE BIG UNIT........'AINT LIFE A BITCH? ww

- ddf68 - 10-31-2001

The legions have awoken and begun their march towards victory. And the press release for the return trip from "the valley" has already been written, to wit: "Veni, vidi, vici."

Hail Jeter

As for wine, last night was a small step in the right direction. '98 Clos de L'Oratoire. This is a rather forward, modern St. Emilion. Dark purple, nose of currant and oak, very smooth and glyceral on the palate in a way I generally only get from merlot. Very round and ripe blackcurrant flavors with cedar notes and then lots of tannin on the finish.

ddf

[This message has been edited by ddf68 (edited 10-31-2001).]

- Drew - 10-31-2001

ddf68, May the Merlot you drank turn and cause a thousand cysts to invade your liver in the shape of the Yankee symbol!!! Jeter the Cheeter??? A hero of yours? Ifn' he sets foot in Baltimore he'll be Jeter the weener!

Drew

- winoweenie - 10-31-2001

They really did overwhelm my beloved D-Backs. Bloopers, Broken Bat hits and a massive total of 6 whole hits. What intimidation! WW 12 hits in 3 games. WOW!!!!

- winoweenie - 11-01-2001

Another 3 whole hits against Schilling last nite . They are awesome. Lucky Suckers! WW

- ddf68 - 11-01-2001

Finished the Clos de L'Oratoire last night. It hadn't developed much overnight except for the emergence of a bitter chocolate note.

As for the events of last night, what can I say. It was not, as WW says, overwhelming, but that's what makes the Yankees great. They're scrappy, they never give up, and everybody contributes.

I think this one is over.

ddf

- barnesy - 11-01-2001

I think the altitude has gotten to ddf. Go to an old folks home and ask to borrow an oxygen tank. Your brain is opperating in oxygen debt and you're starting to hallucinate. Someone still has to win two more games.

Barnesy

- ddf68 - 11-02-2001

One more.

Last night started with 1995 Domaine de Baruel Syrah. This is a $10 Cotes de Provence. Removal of the capsule revealed Yuk, a second capsule of brown fungal gunk. Pouring the wine revealed kind of a funky bretty aroma. Tasting the wine revealed mild corkiness. I really couldn't decide if anything was bad wrong with this wine or if I was being hypersensitive to any remotely unclean flavors because of the condition of the cork. I concluded that, either way, I wasn't going to enjoy it so, on to

'98 Coudelet de Beaucastel CDR. I understand this to come from vineyards on the very border of the CDP appellation. I was struck by the purity of its fruit in particular. Sweet berry flavors with a complicating note of something that seemed like garrigue, but in a clean, smooth, vanilla sort of way. Excellent. I'm not doing this wine justice, but it got drunk so fast this is the best I can do.

Finally, '95 Remelluri Rioja. Purple color, nose of some sort of herbal mintiness. Lush black cherry on the palate with dusty tannin and more of the herbal mintiness, something like rosemary or thyme. After a bit of time in the glass the tannins clumped up a bit and the wine lost its dustiness, though was still somewhat tannic. A very forward and "international" style Rioja, though not at all oaky, so, Excellent. Parker liked it and I can see why.

ddf

[This message has been edited by ddf68 (edited 11-02-2001).]

- mrdutton - 11-04-2001

Not over yet. No matter how you count it, now there is only ONE left!

D'Backs were within one run of tying a record for the highest number of runs ever scored in a World Series.

Then to top that all off, the Yankees gave up more runs then they've ever before in a world series.

Quite frankly, I don't really follow baseball. But I sure am glad, for many reasons, that this year's Baseball World Series has been so interesting and even intense.

[This message has been edited by mrdutton (edited 11-04-2001).]

- winoweenie - 11-07-2001

Well DDF-Kaput.....You've been fortunate that the weener has been in Messicho without computers, phones or other communication equipment. Iff'n you'll look at my last post before leaving you'll find the Prophit-Weenie
hit the nail on the noggin. As feeble as your " storied " yunkless bats are how in the blue-blazes did you ever envision they could win a game against the TWO BEST PITCHERS ib baseball? The sports fraternity in New York can now collectively pucker-up and kiss our cactus-laced behinds. "Provincial, dusty, coyboys who can barely spell baseball " was a particularly enjoyable quote. And YES MrD the best team sure as the blazes won!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WW

- wondersofwine - 11-07-2001

I was glad to see Arizona win. However, WW, you are proving the point--you may know how to spell baseball but since when are "cowboys" "coyboys". Now THAT sounds sissy!
Chuckle.

- ddf68 - 11-07-2001

I have to give the Diamondbacks their due, they're a fine team, but really I blame it all on the '99 Groth Sauvignon Blanc I was drinking that night.

ddf

- winoweenie - 11-07-2001

WOW>>>>>>>>>>>>The Weeneer has nebber been knowed for his typin' 'bilities. WW