WineBoard
Sugar, sugar, sugar - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Sugar, sugar, sugar (/thread-12925.html)

- sharon001 - 06-30-2005

I am perplexed by the number of people who don't know anything about wine, want to start learning, and bump up against the problem that the wines they're trying are not "sweet" enough for them.

Clearly, we are not taking about people who will then just stick to port, sauternes, gewurz, and other "moelleux" or "liquoreux" wines; they want varietals like pinot noir or cabernet sauvignon. But they want the wine to be sweet.

I am, I guess, happy to see that when a "newbie" with these kinds of requirements posts to this forum, no one is snooty, no one says, "The point about wine is that it doesn't taste like Coke or grape juice." But on the other hand, I almost feel like they're saying the same thing I would be if I said, "I really want to learn all about celery, I am fascinated by it, it is something I read about all the time, and I try eating it every day - but it's just not chocolatey enough! Can someone recommend a recipe for me to make it taste more like chocolate?"

- wondersofwine - 06-30-2005

I just read last night part of Terry Theise's new catalog on the German wines he represents. He talked about the misconceptions concerning German wines and the people who avoid them because "I don't like sweet wines (or dessert wines)." One of the points he was making was that Riesling has a high acidity characteristic which in good wines balances the residual sugar so that the wine may seem drier than a lot of Chardonnays even though it has residual sugar. I think some newbies who are used to drinking soft drinks like Coca Cola and Pepsi might really like German Rieslings and maybe should taste a number of them before making the jump to red wines. I started out with Rieslings and Scheurebe wines while living in Germany and expanded to Valpolicella, Chianti, Lambrusco, red Burgundies, etc. before getting into Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Zinfandel, etc.
(Riesling and Pinot Noir are still my favorite varietals).

- wineguruchgo - 06-30-2005

LOL! Thanks for the compliment...I think!

Might I suggest that you put peanut butter on your celery? You can always then dip it in Hot Fudge! LOL!

We have all been novices at one point and yes, we are kind. Many of us understand that once a person starts "getting into wine" eventually they will graduate from sweet and start appreciating fruity. It's like watching a flower grow.

- Thomas - 06-30-2005

Sahron,

I understand completely what you are talking about.

Many who ask the question need a lot of training and experience before they can even understand an answer given online.

It's really annoying when you answer and then the person gets angry. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/frown.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 06-30-2005).]

- sharon001 - 06-30-2005

It is a total compliment! The patience and lack of the disdain that traditionally caricatures the wine aficionado are heartening to read.

But... perhaps not as disheartening as people who want to love wine without loving anything about it. A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down?

I sincerely wonder what it is about wine that's attracting them in the first place! Because it looks good?

[This message has been edited by sharon001 (edited 06-30-2005).]

- Thomas - 06-30-2005

In many cases, Sharon, the attraction is the health claims and secondarily, the Hollywood factor!

- sharon001 - 06-30-2005

Or maybe they just have really nice stemware!

- Zinner - 07-01-2005

Well, I think there's more drawing people to be interested in wine. With all the booming interest in food, how could there not be a companion interest in wine? People who become knowledgeable about putting together meals will want the wine that goes with it.

Also it's an advantage, socially or in business, to know a bit about wine...to be able to order a bottle in a restaurant. There are courses for business folk so they don't have to feel inept in this department.

I am happy to try to help someone feel more comfortable in the area of wine. It's fun to share.

But I'd guess that your frustration stems from people weighing in with preconceived notions, rather than seeing how they can begin to explore wine. I've seen that happen from the opposite stance too when people think they must like "dry" wine in order to look sophisticated. Perhaps they don't even like the way it tastes, but feel they must give the appearance, rather than garnering different experiences of wine and then deciding.

I did once see some folks add sugar to their wine. The couple that did this swore that it was an Italian thing, but I've never seen it since, either here or in Italy.

- Thomas - 07-01-2005

Zinner,

I remember watching a guy add sugar to his wine because, he said, "it really tastes bad without it."

It was difficult to contain myself--especially since he was adding sugar to a Chateauneuf du Papes.

Anyway, those business courses you refer to--I'm one of the guys who teaches them, and I have to agree that there is a lot of interest. Just submitted a proposal to Citigroup to teach 3 dozen managers about wine and food pairing.

- wondersofwine - 07-01-2005

Foodie, hope it's a go for the class. Sounds like it could be fun.

- Thomas - 07-01-2005

WOW, I've done a number of them and they are fun. Some day I might even make them profitable [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

- wineguruchgo - 07-01-2005

When I was at my high school reunion a few years back one of my classmates, a pilot, realized that I was in the wine business. Obviously he is a very bright man and I truly thought he was going to ask a serious question.

"Oh man! He said. "Do I want to talk to you!" I said "sure - what do you want to know?"

His reply "So what kind of wine should I buy?".

Hrumph! It's always the same question. Obviously I was kind to him and I got information out of him to lead him into the right area of the world.

It's kind of like talking to a gear head and asking "What kind of car should I buy?".

hehehe! So long as we find this world of ours amusing everything will be ok.

- Botafogo - 07-02-2005

I honestly thing that what those new to wine (expecially reds) want is NOT "sweetness" but a LACK of astringency. In other cultures kids grow up with tea, root veggies, chicory and all kinds of things that we in America consider (in a perjorative sense) "bitter" and are used to that sensation. Remember, most people use "bitter" as a fault when descibing beer here in the states yet that is part of the BRAND name of many English brews.

We have a couple of "training wheel reds" that seem to be OK with 90% of new wine drinkers: Schiava / Santa Magdalener, a lightly colored red from Alto Adige with NO tannin at all and Cìu Cìu San Carro Marche Rosso IGT, a blend of Montepulciano, Sangiovese, Barbera and Merlot which IS dark and full flavored but has just enough RS to balance all of that but still be good with real food.

- winewaitress - 07-02-2005

I understand it's got be frustrating to everyone who's been scouting out wines for years when someone asks you about sweet wines. But then also imagine the shock of someone who spends, very often, a great deal of money on a good bottle of a beverage that's made from grapes, thinking, "Hey, I like grapes, so I've gotta like this," only to find out, shock of shocks, it actually tastes very little like grape! While this may seem silly and obvious, if you've never had a truly quality glass of wine before, that can be a huge letdown. I've been drinking wine for awhile, but I'm just now really getting into appreciating the complexities and nuances that go into a good glass...although even now, I still enjoy a good sweet dessert wine. And also, keep in mind, that the stereotype of wine conniseurs, however untrue, is that of the ultimate snob. So it actually can sometimes take a great deal of courage and desire to learn to ask someone of greater knowledge than yourself for some assistance...maybe instead of asking for a sweeter wine, the question should be, "If you love it so much, how is it that I don't? What am I missing?"

But even just the short time I've been meandering around here, everyone's posts have actually helped a great deal. Thanks for the patience with us rookies, and keep imparting the knowledge!

- wondersofwine - 07-06-2005

winewaitress, your post contains a lot of good sense. I hope this board will continue to be helpful to you and that you will contribute on the wines you like.

- winoweenie - 07-07-2005

It's refreshing to see a post like yours. Ever since this board was conceived the main purpose was to take the pomp and circumstance out of wine and wine drinkers. Not many people on the board will tolerate snobbish rhetoric of bully tactics by anyone. The pure enjoyment of drinking a good bottle is first and foremost with most of us and sharing a great bottle with friends is one of my purest pleasures. Have fun, visit ofter, and remember " In Vino Veritas Est " WW