WineBoard
The things you find in a kitchen drawer... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The things you find in a kitchen drawer... (/thread-12885.html)

- Georgie - 01-25-2005

Snowy days are good for cleaning out things. I went through the kitchen gadget drawer and among many interesting items, (some identifiable, some not) was a wine opener from Pleasant Valley Wine Company, Hammondsport, NY. Before being part of this board that address would have meant absolutely nothing to me. Now, not only do I recognize it, I KNOW a Hammondsporter, namely foodie. No telling how many years that opener's been kicking around or how I got it in the first place.

- Innkeeper - 01-25-2005

At the series of yard sales we had last fall the most frequently asked question was, why the hell did ever buy it for in the first place?

- Kcwhippet - 01-25-2005

I think I read somewhere that Pleasant Valley Wine Co. is bonded winery #1 and it's still in business.

- Thomas - 01-25-2005

KC, it is and it isn't, on both counts.

Bonded Winery #1 means only that it was the first winery to receive a bonded license when the federal government put the system into place. It implies, but does not mean, that it is the first winery.

The Pleasant Valley Wine Company was the one that created and marketed Great Western "champagne". Taylor bought the company at the turn of the 20th century. Now, it is owned by, what else? Constellation Brands, and it is operated--quietly--by the man who once was the Taylor president. I have no idea what goes on inside its doors--it is like a military secret in Hammondsport...

- wineguruchgo - 01-25-2005

If memory serves me correctly (suspect at times) the oldest winery is in Washingtonville, NY called Brotherhood.

I grew up a few miles from there and remember them saying that when I was attending wine tastings in the early 80's.

Well I just googled it and yes, I'm correct. They have been making wine there since 1839.

- Georgie - 01-25-2005

Oh, that brings back some fond memories! A trip to the Brotherhood Winery was a favorite excursion and an excuse to skip class whilst attending Paterson State College (now William Paterson University.)Did that more than once.

- Innkeeper - 01-25-2005

Picked up a couple of bottles of the Brotherhood at their tasting room in Utica, when over there for Bev's first medical appointmant last October. They are posted around here somewhere. Only so-so or maybe a tad bit better than that.

- Thomas - 01-25-2005

Guru,

Like all historical information, it depends on one's perspective.

I forget the original name, but Brotherhood is the second name of the winery, and the winery is not in its original location.

It is, indeed, the oldest New York winery in operation.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-25-2005).]

- wineguruchgo - 01-26-2005

Foodie,

I would love the information if you can remember it being that I grew up just miles from there.

Here is what I found using "Oldest Winery in the US" as search:

Winemaking is an ancient and honored art, and nowhere is this more evident than at Brotherhood, America's Oldest winery, located in the picturesque village of Washingtonville, NY. The winery was established by a European emigre, John Jaques, who produced the first commercial vintage in 1839.
Brotherhood has been in continuous operation since that time - making the winery the oldest in the United States!

You won't believe our underground cellars!
In 1886 the winery changed hands. Mr. Jesse Emerson and his son expanded the facility, adding the "landmark" stone building with additional underground cellars that are the largest in the country.
Having survived prohibition by the sale of sacramental wine, the winery again changed ownership around 1921. During the "Farrell" era the winery underwent dramatic changes - major expansion, the beginning of a visitor tour operation and the creation of a broad range of award-winning wines. Brotherhood remained a "family business" until a change of ownership in January of 1987.

Brotherhood Winery is listed in the New York State Register of Historic Places and is listed as a National Historic Landmark.

- Thomas - 01-26-2005

Ok Guru, here's the real history in a nutshell:

In 1839, Jean Jaques established Blooming Grove Winery, in Washingtonville, NY.

In 1859, the Brocton Wine Cellars was founded in the Lake Erie district of NY State.

In 1867 a man named Thomas Harris was the leader of a spiritual group called The New Brotherhood of Life. They made wine too, first in Duchess County and then at Brocton, NY alongside Brocton Wine Cellars, in Lake Erie.

Harris ultimately left for California and Brotherhood of Life wines were then handled by some NY wine merchants.

In the 1870s, when Jacque's family sold Blooming Grove, it went to the NY merchants that dealt with the Brocton Brotherhood. The merchants changed Blooming Grove's name to the Brotherhood Winery.

[This message has been edited by foodie (edited 01-26-2005).]