WineBoard
The value of a Volvo. - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The value of a Volvo. (/thread-12878.html)

- Glass_A_Day - 02-03-2005

Your fellow forumite GAD had his life saved by a Volvo. I've heard good things about them, but bought my 04 S60R for looks and performance. Well, the car didn't seem to care why I bought it last Saturday night as I hit black ice at almost highway speed, took down two telephone poles, three sections of fence, and stepped out of the car with nothing hurt but my pride. The damage totaled over $20,000 for the car alone and yet when it was all said and done my passenger was still in the middle of the cell phone conversation he had going when the accident started. That's how gentle a Volvo can make a $20,000 accident feel. I thank that vehicle for my life and would recommend one to anyone. This is a rave!!

- TheEngineer - 02-03-2005

Glad to hear that both you and your passenger are in good shape. Cars are disposable, glad you picked one that puts safety above all.

- Kcwhippet - 02-04-2005

Sorry to hear about the accident, GAD, but I'm very glad to hear you came through unscathed.

- Glass_A_Day - 02-04-2005

Thanks guys. That's what insurance is for right? Now I have my eye on one of those Chrysler 300c's with the Hemi. Very sharp in my opinion.

- winoweenie - 02-04-2005

So GLAD every thing turned out okie-dokie GAD.Take a look at the Cadillac CTS with the 255hp engine. Got the 04 for CB and both of us love the little bomb. They also have one with 400hp that you can take to the drag races. WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Innkeeper - 02-04-2005

Would stick with the car that saved my life.

That's what all my Volvo buddies on the Volvo forum say. It's just that the sportyness of the Volvo is a contributing factor to the accident in my opinion. Low profile tires, six speed, 300 HP, and winter in New England just didn't mix. Plus, pothole damage caused me $4500 in repairs this year. It would be great in WW's neck of the woods, but round these parts, it's a 3 season car. The are fixing it so it may even stay until the lease is up, but it's doubtful.

- wondersofwine - 02-04-2005

Glad you and your passenger came through okay. Black ice is a very scary thing. It's rare to hear of someone hitting a telephone pole (let alone two) and coming out of it uninjured.

- Thomas - 02-04-2005

GAD, that's incredible, but not uncommon with Volvo. And I know what you went through.

I hit a patch of black ice on a highway a number of February's ago. I wound up airborne and then at the bottom of the island ditch that separates the highway, facing the opposite direction from which I was heading. No damage either to me or the car, but I did quit that job as a wine salseman on the road...

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I just keep hearing the sound of the crash in my head. My stomach does flip flops each time it happens.

- Zinner - 02-06-2005

Sounds like a pretty normal reaction as you went through an ordeal, though you came out physically okay.

Years and years ago, I slid on a slick spot and got clipped by a passing 16 wheeler. It looked like I was going into the biggest wall on earth. Spun me like a top through three lanes of traffic and by some miracle, nothing else hit me. But I still don't like to drive beside trucks, so I'll speed up or slow down to avoid it when I can.

- stevebody - 02-09-2005

When I was shopping around for a car that we could get Judye in and out of easily, I cared about absolutely nothing but how safe the thing would be. Judye's been hurt enough and I was hell-bent on minimizing the chances that she would have to suffer anymore. I talked to everybody I knew who is a car buff (I'm not) and they all said, "Buy a Volvo." My pal, Stu Cordova, found us a '91 240 wagon that had 71,000 actual miles on it, had been serviced by a guy I knew, and was in immaculate condition in every way. We've driven it all over this corner of the country and all that's ever happened to it was two belts thrown and I killed the battery by leaving the dome light on. We're talking about buying something new when Judye starts taking driving lessons at the UW this spring and I find that Volvos accomodate hand controls better than most cars. I love Volvos and I don't love cars. I wouldn't drive anything else.

Glad you're Okay, my friend. Take it easy out there where the road looks too dark.

[This message has been edited by stevebody (edited 02-09-2005).]

- Glass_A_Day - 02-15-2005

Well it's not totaled and is being fixed as we speak. Good time for me to travel. She will ride again.

- DearTabatha - 02-17-2005

Besides saving your life, a Volvo will also run forever. I had a 240 that lasted me for 300,000+ miles without any major repair, and my 850 has been great for just about 10 years now without any problems. Nice to know that they're safe, too.