WineBoard
Telephone Wine Brokers-Revisited! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Telephone Wine Brokers-Revisited! (/thread-12877.html)

- MiamiArt - 08-06-2004

Just happened upon your June discussion about "long distance" wine brokers, especially Jacob Gerhardt Wines. I've been drinking fine wines for over twenty years. I acquire them from many sources, including Jacob Gerhardt. Living in Florida, there are many restrictions on ordering wine from out of state. I started using Gerhardt over ten years ago as a way to supplement my collection. I especially enjoy wines from the Nahe region near Frankfurt, and my "personal" representative calls me every few months with current offerings, always labels I would never find in local stores. I've never bought a wine I didn't enjoy immensely, and my non-informed friends have become regular wine drinkers because of my referrals. I've had the same gentleman dealing with me for the entire time. He's not only knowledgeable about wines in general, but he knows what I like. I've never felt pressured to make a purchase from Gerhardt. On a personal level, I've become a close friend with my broker. We've lived through life's high and low points together. I've followed the growth of his two beautiful children from birth. He's followed my art career. I trust his judgement. When I read negative comments from people who are uninformed about the "business" of interstate alcohol sales, I must speak out. Thank you Gerhardt Wines for ten years of pure wine drinking pleasure!

- Thomas - 08-06-2004

Moderators?

- californiagirl - 08-06-2004

Nice plug!

- Thomas - 08-06-2004

That's why I repeat--moderators?

- Drew - 08-06-2004

Congratulations....

- Kcwhippet - 08-06-2004

Welcome to the Wine Board, MiamiArt (I think). I wonder how you just "happened" onto a June post about Jacob Gerhardt wine brokers. Regardless, I don't believe you've read enough of the posts by the people who've made the majority of those "negative comments" to make the judgement that they're uninformed. Some of the posters have been drinking, and collecting, fine wines for about twice as long as you, and I know they've dealt with brokers over those many years. Some of the posters are in the business, some for many, many years. Personally, I've dealt with brokers starting back in 1969, but these are real brokers who are offering wines at good QPR's from known wineries. I think it's really you who is uninformed. Possibly one or two of the posters might have been misinformed, but uninformed - I don't think so. And the crux of the misinformation is most probably Jacob Gerhardt's cult like web site where any new reader has to take all that's said on pure faith without any knowledge of the wines offered or their prices (among other info gaps). Also, I don't believe anyone here has ever enjoyed immensely (sic) every wine they've ever bought. That's an absurd statement to make, particularly from someone who's "been drinking fine wines for over twenty years."

- Bucko - 08-06-2004

It's a close call whether this is a real fan or just another shill..... When in doubt, I hate to censor. Censorship is an evil unto itself IMHO. Agreed?

- californiagirl - 08-06-2004

Ah Bucko- you are correct. 'Tis better to live in a free country than a censored one!

Plug away Miamiart! KC is correct also- you know not the backgrounds of the people you are referring to and more than likely, you were told of this forum by the broker. Since you have 20+ years experience with fine wines, please share your wealth with others. We are always open to hear others' opinions of wines. What wines have you enjoyed lately?

- Thomas - 08-07-2004

True enough, Bucko. But I do hate wasting my time.

Perhaps we can force new subscribers to fill out some information about themselves, at least where they are. But maybe who they are too. If they don't do so, they don't get to post--not unreasonable.

That will maybe cause those with an agenda to hesitate or to go away.

- MiamiArt - 08-07-2004

I'm new to this site. I found it because I was looking for a misplaced phone number of my broker. and Google displayed your June forum. I guess I was a little defensive because of my friend who works in the business. I made the comment about enjoying ALL the wines I had ordered from him, because most of those types are low in alcohol, and perfect for sharing with friends after a good meal. Desserts? Yes, but also very easy to drink. My favorite wines are the Sauternes, especially the Chateau Coutet Barsacs... I've still got two bottles from 1972 that are the deepest amber, honey color you can imagine. The best Sauternes I ever bought was a 1961 Chateau Latour Blanche. The last bottle disappeared ten years ago, and I can still smell the magic on the old cork! My brother and I recently opened a 1990 Chateau Haut Brion, and it was exciting. I've always been partial to anything from the Bordeaux region, and have traveled there many times for the food and the history. The wines of the Alsace facinate me. I discovered the Paul Blanck & Fils winery in Kientzheim a few years ago. Their 1998 Riesling Schlossberg was especially memorable. Many of those wines are a little to earthy for my tastes, but there's so much to learn in that beautiful area.

I don't have alot of experience on chat boards, so please bear with me as I learn. I'll be more careful with my broad generalities in the future. I'm a neophyte who is willing to grow!

- Thomas - 08-07-2004

You'll find this board quite a lot of fun and informative, I am sure.

Drinking Haut Brion--now that's a neophyte's dream!!! That is one producer I have yet to taste, and I've been around the block a few times.

Incidentally, that particular producer was the original "single vineyard upscale wine" marketer a couple centuries ago.

Re, Chateau Cotet Barsac: it is not a Sauterne: Barsac and Sauterne are different places that produce similar wines.

- MiamiArt - 08-07-2004

My mistake on the Barsac.... I sometimes group all of those very sweet Bordeauxs into the same "generic" category of "Sauternes"... Sorry...

An interesting side story about the Barsac.
I originally acquired four bottles of 1961 Coutet Barsac in 1975. I drank (understatement) two of them, but stored the last two for the Millenium. In 1999, my house was burglarized, and they stole just those two bottles from my collection. I'm still sick! Had to be someone I knew, but I never had any proof....

Another Sauternes that I remember liking very much had a name like Rieussiac, or something similar. Soooo good!

I also appreciate a good Port (Oporto) once in a while. Don't like the cigars with it, however. The aroma of a truly old Port can't be beat. I'm a "smell" kind of guy!

- californiagirl - 08-07-2004

You should check out the port thread. Their are many people here that enjoy them also.

- Thomas - 08-07-2004

And you should check out Loupiac. Less expensive Sauterne-like wines from another area nearby.

And also Monbazillac.

- MiamiArt - 08-07-2004

Thanks for the great suggestions..... I'm looking forward to becoming part of the Wines.com family. I'm also planning a fall trip to Paris, with a side destination of the Champagne distict. Politics aside, the country has so much to offer.

- winoweenie - 08-07-2004

Hi Miami Art and a belated welcome to our family. Think you'll find the atmosphere here clear of all pollution and bias regarding our favorite subject and there are no snobs nor nasties to deal with. When they accassionally do show up they are dealt with toot/sweet. You'll find a wealth of free knowledge and experience without the pomp and circumstance I've found on other boards. Hopefully you'll find our group to your liking. WW

- MiamiArt - 08-07-2004

Thanks WW. Your welcome is accepted with a toast to a promising future....

- wondersofwine - 08-09-2004

Welcome to the board MiamiArt (what type of art? painting? sculpture?)
Rieussec is the very nice Sauternes you have liked in the past. It, along with the Coutet and La Tour Blanche you mentioned are all First Growth or Premier Crus Sauternes-Barsac wines. I also like the Suduiraut which sometimes has a nutlike flavor component.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 08-09-2004).]

- MiamiArt - 08-09-2004

Thanks for the lead on Suduiraut.... I'll look for it!

I paint giant mural-like landscapes of historic buildings and significant architecture in the Miami area. I paint acrylic on wood panels, which have been cut to show local idioms, and then assemble 4, 6, and 8 of those panels into standing screens. Check out my work on my website:
MIAMI-ART.COM
Thanks!

- wondersofwine - 08-09-2004

Impressive artwork! and south Florida colors too. (I guess that's why Miami Subs shops have similar color logos)