WineBoard
For Jazz & Music Lovers Only...... - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: For Jazz & Music Lovers Only...... (/thread-12873.html)

- winoweenie - 05-20-2002

Beyond a shadow, IMHO, the greatest 2 man recording I've had the pleasure of hearing. Warren Vache and Bill Charlaps' "2GETHER" is 52 minutes of the easiest listening, most proficient, profound entertainment I've run across in the last 10 years. Piano and Cornet (& some Flugel-horn) by two consummate professionals that sounds like every note is choreographed but they anticipate each others next note so errily I mite have to call in Mulder. This is so good it can be background for an intimate party or really Serious Study. Released by nagel heyer, after searching for 2 weeks, I found it online at Tower Records. WW

- Thomas - 05-20-2002

whaddaya mean by "easy listenin'?" Is it so-called soft jazz or is it the real thing? If real, I will seek a copy.

- winoweenie - 05-20-2002

Dead , Stoney , Solid, Magnificat, Inspired Jazz by two GREAT PLAYERS that absolutely swings its' buns off!!! You'll listen to it 3 or 4 times in a row. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 05-20-2002).]

- Duane Meissner - 06-06-2002

You're a music lover too? I really regret not being able to meet you when I was in Phoenix a few months back. We would have had plenty to chat about!

DM

- winoweenie - 06-07-2002

Had my own little jazz quintet to support my stint at the University of Missouri and a few years after until I found journalism wages sucked and salesmen made bucks. Leonard Feather said, as I blush in mock em-bare-ass-ment, " The finest college quintet in the country " WW [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] (Would have loved to have met you. Nes' time)

- hotwine - 06-07-2002

I made the same kind of decision after college, WW. Union scale was $20/night back then. Figured there was no way to ever support a family playing a horn for that kind of money, so I put the Olds Studio model away for good. It's still in its case, up in the rafters of the workshop.

- Thomas - 06-07-2002

Geez, we have things in common here, beyond wine. I got out of pro music when the lead to our group ran off with the previous night's take, which was enough to get him to Detroit, where he showed up on a Motown label with a new name, Jimmy Soul (If You Wanna Be Happy For the Rest of Your Life, Never Make a Pretty Woman Your Wife--or he your group leader.)

I sang then, but also played a little drums and keyboard, which was another reason I got out--too slow on the ivories...

But really, I found that mortgages can only be paid with money earned!

- hotwine - 06-07-2002

Ditto on the mortgage. Man, oh man, what a way to try to make a liven'. Lots of bad whiskey (and worse women).

- zenda2 - 06-11-2002

Gents,
I can't top any tales of beatnik woe, as I always played Harmonica and knew it wouldn't pay the mortgage from the get-go. But let me take this opportunity to tout a recording that might have slipped past under your radar.

Go to Amazon (or your favorite source) and look for 'Haunted Heart' by Charlie Hayden/Quartet West. Here's the 'snippet' written by Amazon.

Bassist Charlie Haden was already an avant-garde titan through his role in Ornette Coleman's empire-rattling '60s quartet, an avatar for politically-committed jazz through his Liberation Music Orchestra, and a first-call star thanks to associations with Keith Jarrett, Pat Metheny, and countless other pathfinders. But Haden was, and is, an omnivorous listener and fan with an openly romantic vein, and this sophomore project for his own mainstream quartet celebrates his love of classic pop and film noir. Opening with the Warner Bros. fanfare that introduced John Huston's classic 1941 realization of The Maltese Falcon, this programmatic gem shifts from '40s covers to sympathetic originals evoking the smoky demimonde of noir classics, and underlined by their allusive titles ("Hello My Lovely," "Lady in the Lake," and "The Long Goodbye" are the obvious Chandlerian connections). Interpolating luminous vocal recordings from the '40s by Jo Stafford (the title song), Jeri Southern, and Billie Holiday, Haunted Heart is cinematic in the best sense, its elegant acoustic jazz looking affectionately back across the decades, yet still in the moment emotionally

All I know is I put this one on along with 'Sketches of Spain' and some Chet Baker, some Getz, I pop a cork, put up my feet and relaxation follows like night follows day.

- wondersofwine - 06-11-2002

Hey, hotwine. You could still play for your own or friends' enjoyment. My brother-in-law, in his fifties, has taken up the sax (or is it the clarinet? I haven't ever heard him play) again after years of not playing.

- hotwine - 06-11-2002

I know. But to do it well would require lots of practice, 3-4 hours per day non-stop, and I'm unwilling to commit that kind of time to it. Would rather putter around with my projects, working on my little book on barbecuing, visiting the ranch now and then and chit-chattin' with the cattle, etc. Tryin' to avoid anythin' that requires massive quantities of self-discipline.

- zenda2 - 06-11-2002

Bar-B-Que requires a flame, and an open flame really brings out the best in a good chromatic harmonica.

Hey, I'm just saying.