WineBoard
WS 100 Top Wines - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: WS 100 Top Wines (/thread-12826.html)

- wondersofwine - 12-02-2004

I just got my WS issue with the 100 top wines from past year's tastings. I do agree with some of their choices. They had the 2002 Seghesio Sonoma Zinfandel as #11. I had tried to purchase more of this wine while I was in Charlotte but they were out of it at Dean & Deluca. Also in the top 100 were Ponzi and Argyle Pinot Noir, Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc (I believe only one Sancerre S.B.) a Frescobaldi and a Banfi Brunello, at least three Sauternes (a Rieussec leading the list as #1, plus a Guiraud, and a Sudiraut). They also included an Acacia Pinot Noir and I was disappointed with my one trial of Acacia but that may have been due to the vintage. I'm willing to try it again.

- Bucko - 12-02-2004

It is a nice marketing scam -- Step right up ladies and gentlemen, see the best 100 wines in the world, see the three-headed boy ... sells magazines though.

- Botafogo - 12-03-2004

This was our reaction:

Swimming with Sharks...a Love Story.
We would like to offer our heartfelt condolences to all of you assistants, secretaries and go-fers out there whose boss is about to plop down the year end issue of an (overly!) influential wine rag with their Top 100 Wines of the Year and tell you that your continued employment depends on finding him a case each of the top five or ten listed. Do not bother trying to tell him that the list is a compendium of wines highly reviewed throughout the year and nearly all are now either sold out or being flipped at 3 times the release price. He will just do his best rendition of Kevin Spacey as the evil studio exec in Swimming with Sharks and tell you ---You are nothing, you do not think, you exist to make my thoughts into actions, find it or you are fired!---. We have been touting lawyer customers for years on this being a rich vein for a class action suit for harrassment....and, no, we do not have any of the wines either (and never did, actually). But, after all, how seriously can you take a list of the supposed one hundred best wines of the year that only has ONE Champagne on it? Pa-leeeze! But we DO have lots of wonderful things that we have rigorously field tested as both delicious compliments to food and friends and as groovy gifts with the added upside that they will not be tripling in price in the coming week....

On another note, I wonder how many spritzers will be made out of expensive Reussec after people but cases of it because it is Wine of the Year and then they have no idea how to appreciate a great Sauternes? We often comment that Parker giving a Sonoma Merlot a 93 will sell 10,000 cases but he could give an Austrian Dessert Wine a score of 105 and people would go "oh, that's nice, what do you have in a Syrah?"

- Glass_A_Day - 12-03-2004

We should consider outselves lucky to be "in the know."

- Kcwhippet - 12-03-2004

I saw on another board that someone had seen the Rieussec at a local shop for $59.99. The day after the WOTY list came out it was $79.99. Interestingly, the owner of the shop I'm at doesn't look at the list, and doesn't care. If we have the wine, great - and we don't go around changing prices. Of course, if someone comes in and wants something off the list we don't have, he'll order it and add the normal markup, not a score inflated markup.

- winoweenie - 12-03-2004

Don't subscribe and haven't for 3 years. I taste every wine I buy with the exception of 2 producers I've bought for over 20 years and know the wines are rock-solid. Don't give a hoot about leather-tongued critics telling me what's good or bad. WW

- Kcwhippet - 12-03-2004

I'm with you, ww. Haven't subscribed for about five years now. Have never chased any of the trophy wines. The closest I've come is Christmas presents from the kids who gave us the 97 Insignia and the 97 Whitehall Lane Reserve Cab a few years ago. I prefer to drink what I like, not what someone says I should.

- Glass_A_Day - 12-04-2004

Unfortunatly, I have no choice. I usually can afford only one of each when it comes to the big $$ wines. Therefore, buying one as a test before buying many is not an option and there are zero tastings in my area. My ex's father used to run them in RI and I was always traveling there anyway so that was great... but gone. Also, I don't trust my young palet to be able to taste for "future greatness." Some wines like Montelena or Dominus are just locked so tight when bottled that I couldn't tell the difference between a 100 pointer and a 80 even if I was able to taste first. Therefore I need advice from those experienced enough to know. They are either WS (whom I've lost faith in lately), RP, and of course WW. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img] Now on the other hand, when it comes to the ready now cheapies, I listen to no one but my own toungue and honker.

- winoweenie - 12-04-2004

There should be a good local pusher who has tastings either free or with a small fee. Know the shop where KC works has them weekly. Look around. Sure to be someone. WW

- wineguruchgo - 12-04-2004

I do subscribe, but more for the articles than for what they rate.

The one thing these publications do well is get people to jump out of their comfort zone and try new wines.

A few years ago one of the big, super tuscans (Sassicaia maybe?)was named. Many, who have never had a ST, might now explore the world - even if it isn't that particular bottle.

I agree that these publications are riddled with influence peddleing from their advertisers and they can really hurt a winery as well.

Guess there are pro's and con's to everything.

WW, Table and Vine which is the biggest in the area has free tastings every Saturday... in the $10 to $20 range. Like I said, those wines I just try and buy anyway. When I was with my ex, her father ran beautiful tastings in RI. The were once every month or so and he poured many of the heavy hitters. It was great, they had a small band playing in the corner and it was held in a beautiful building right on the river with two sides facing the water and windows everywhere. Then there was the catering. Now that was an experience. It opened my eyes to many great wines and I got to skip the $40 ticket price due to my connection. I miss those...

- californiagirl - 12-04-2004

I'd say give KC's shop a try. He took me there when my kids and I were out this summer.

Quite a shop, he works for.

If ever I am in the area, you bet I will.

- Kcwhippet - 12-05-2004

Let me know when you're coming, GAD, and I'll be there, too. I'm only working there about ten days a month now, so must plan accordingly.

- Glass_A_Day - 12-05-2004

What's the stores name and location again KC? I know you must have told me, but I've forgotten.

- Kcwhippet - 12-05-2004

Name is Warehouse Wine & Spirits. Address is 575 Worcester Rd. (that's Rt. 9), Framingham. Web site is www.warehousedwine.com - still being worked on, but functional.