WineBoard
The sad state of the Wine Press (a continuing story) - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: The sad state of the Wine Press (a continuing story) (/thread-12810.html)

- Botafogo - 10-25-2000

Last night we had dinner with an amazing Champagne Grower and among the other guests was the Editor/Publisher of a major food and wine oriented rag who also contributes to scores of other publications. He was COMPLETELY ignorant of any quality zones or producers in Italy (which he visits regularly on other peoples dimes) outside of Toscana, Piedmonte and the Veneto (and he was a little shaky there)! He dismissed our discussion of lengendary winemakers Eduardo Valentini and Emedio Pepe with "but it's Montepulciano d'Abruzzi, how good could it be?" like he was your blue haired auntie saying "but, son, it's just Jazz....I'm sure Mr. Davis is a fine trumpeter but its not serious music, try some Beethoven". It was FRIGHTENING!!!!!!!!

He also admitted without shame to "never buying any wine so I have no idea about retailers or the marketplace" and "nearly dying of shame when forced to fly coach". This is a relevant taste maker for American wine drinkers????

And people wonder why we rant about the press so much, Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 10-25-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 10-25-2000

Look at the bright side of things. At least he's a wine writer. When we go to wine tastings in this state we have to talk to employees of beer distributors.

On another point, we ah 'er, ah um; jeez it's just that we ah ah, don't like, or ah 'er don't really appreciate, or um 'er try to discourage dublicate postings here.

- Botafogo - 10-25-2000

If this board had any significant traffic I would understand the objection but, since it doesn't and I was specifically invited here by one of the hosts to incite some, maybe you can cut me some slack here. That post was an ancillary answer to the Barbera question that was on point there but is also truly a subject unto itself. But no matter as I am about to retreat into the war room and commence the 2000 Campaign.

And, I would say that the scribe in question was actually a much WORSE source of information or even company than the guys who sells us Coors products. Maybe my formative years in Louisisana have made me too sensitive to bagmen who are bought and paid for....

Roberto

[This message has been edited by Botafogo (edited 10-25-2000).]

- Innkeeper - 10-25-2000

As me ole Irish grandmother used to say: "Life is real; life is earnest."

- Thomas - 10-26-2000

This is the place to Rant and Rave Roberto--go on and do it.

As for wine writers with limited knowledge, or even social grace, it is rather like the state of television: the public is to blame for encouraging it and the producers are to blame for creating the monster (advertising in the rags is what keeps them in business).

- Herls - 10-26-2000

Lets just be glad that he is only a wine writer and not in charge of our Nuclear Secrets. hah, I enjoy a good laugh, especially when it involves wine!