WineBoard
Company's coming! - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Wine/Food Affinities (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Company's coming! (/thread-1278.html)

Pages: 1 2

- Georgie - 02-19-2004

I need a wine suggestion for breaded chicken breasts stuffed with goat cheese, sun-dried tomatoes,scallions,fresh thyme and basil. I could also use a suggestions for sides, you chefs out there. Thanks!

- marleyspud - 02-19-2004

A barley rissotto style dish that is cooked in the oven would be good, perhaps with oven roasted tomatos to compliment the sun-dried in the chicken. MS

- quijote - 02-19-2004

Mmm, sounds delicious! That chicken will have a lot of flavors going on, so for sides I would probably go with something like steamed asparagus or haricots verts for a veggie; maybe orzo or truffled mashed potatoes for a starch. I'm sure others on the board will have better or more precise ideas, though.

- wondersofwine - 02-19-2004

I second both the orzo or risotto suggestions and asparagus or green beans also. A Sancerre white (Sauvignon Blanc) would match nicely with the asparagus and doesn't do so bad with goat cheese either. Other possibilities, a Macon wine, or maybe a Gewurztraminer from Alsace. The spiciness sometimes present in Gewurz might match up with the herbs in the chicken dish.

- Georgie - 02-19-2004

Thanks, folks!

- Thomas - 02-19-2004

Georgie, I see no reason to add to the above suggestions--all sound great to me, except for the Gewurztraminer, which I think might be too much, unless you add some onions to the dish.

- hotwine - 02-19-2004

I'm with Wonders, the Sancerre sounds best. What time's din-din, hon? I'll bring the wine, the Dom. de la Rossignole.

- winoweenie - 02-19-2004

My juice of choice would be a young Pinot like Sanford with lots of brite fruit. WW

- Georgie - 02-20-2004

Is Sancerre the same thing as Sauvignon Blanc? I love SB and I'll probably go with that. I found tricolor orzo that will look pretty on the plate and I expect to have asparagus or fresh brussels sprouts (my personal favorite!)Prosecco with appetizers..shrimp, some cheesy things I make and some fresh veggies..trying not to "shatter the food sabbatical", you know. Dessert is still up in the air. Probably something chocolate for some and macerated fruit and angel food cake for the dieters. The family that's visiting is that of my Irish cousin from Donegal who now lives in Vancouver. Can't wait to see them!
Appies start at five, hotsie..I'll set a couple of extra places! Thanks for the suggestions!

- wineguruchgo - 02-20-2004

Yes, Georgie, Sancerre is similar to SB. It is named after the region in France.

I think the major difference between Sancerre and other Sauvignon Blancs of the world is that you will have a more pronounced mineral characteristic with Sancerre rather than the grassy quality you will get from NZ for example.

It's perfect with food.

- Thomas - 02-20-2004

...and just to confuse you, georgie, Sancerre rouge is Pinot Noir, and that would be what ww recommends. Of course, the old guy cannot bring himself to admit when a white wine is the better choice. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/eek.gif[/img]

- winoweenie - 02-20-2004

Which normally is about the same time as the " Black Snow " hits in Phoenix. [img]http://wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]

- Georgie - 02-23-2004

Dinner was great! Everybody loved the Il Fae Prosecco and I had a NZ SB that was just perfect with the meal. I can't recall which one it was, (I'm at school) but it had a woman's name on the label.The recipe for the chicken is from the Weight Watchers cookbook, "Simply Delicious." Sides were fresh steamed asparagus, roasted grape tomatoes and orzo.

Goat Cheese and Herb-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Serves 4.
Preheat oven to 425 F.
2 oz. goat cheese
2 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed off, patted dry and chopped
1 scallion, chopped
1 T chopped fresh basil
2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
1/4 C. plain dry bread crumbs
4 (1/4-pound) skinless boneless chicken breasts
4 tsp. reduced-calorie mayo

Combine cheese, tomatoes, scallion, basil, and thyme in a bowl, mashing with a fork, until blended.

Cut a pocket into the side of each chicken breast about 2 1/2-inches long. Place one-quarter of the goat cheese mixture inside each slit. Lightly press the pocket closed with a fork. Brush the top side of each breast with the mayonnaise. Dip the chicken, one piece at a time, coated-side down into the bread crumbs. Transfer coated-side up to the baking pan.

Spray the tops of the chicken lightly with nonstick spray. Bake until the chicken is cooked through and the crust is golden, about 25 minutes.

- Drew - 02-23-2004

Might it have been a Kim Crawford?

Drew

- Georgie - 02-23-2004

Maybe, although I don't know if I recognize that name from reading it here on the board or on the bottle. I'll check when I go home.

- quijote - 02-23-2004

Glad the dinner worked out well, and thanks for the recipe--It looks too good not to try!

- hotwine - 02-23-2004

Great lookin' recipe, Georgie. I knew I shudda hopped the company plane.

- Georgie - 02-25-2004

Yes, you should have, Hotsie. I cooked two extra portions..Drew was right..the wine was Kim Crawford 2003 SB. It was really good. We had a great night!

- wondersofwine - 02-25-2004

You thought the S.B. had a woman's name on the label. However, unlike Kim Novak or Kim Basinger, I'm pretty sure Kim Crawford is a male and the winemaker/owner. Natural mistake. I am acquainted with Francis Allen, the men's gymnastics coach at University of Nebraska and he used to complain about being mistaken for a female by someone just hearing the name Francis (Frances). I asked why he didn't go by his middle name then. Turns out his middle name was Marion (also a female name as Marian). He is named after Francis Marion, the Swamp Fox, and one of the first guerrilla fighters in American history.

[This message has been edited by wondersofwine (edited 02-25-2004).]

- wondersofwine - 02-25-2004

Georgie, I posted on the Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc back in December. http://wines.com/ubb2/Forum14/HTML/000317.html
I really like it also.