WineBoard
President Bush comes to Fort Bragg - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: President Bush comes to Fort Bragg (/thread-12760.html)

- wondersofwine - 03-15-2002

You've probably heard that George W. is in Cumberland County today and will be having lunch with soldiers at Fort Bragg. Three people from my staff tried for tickets for his big speech but they kept cutting back the allocation for Special Operations Command and they ended up watching it on television. I will try to watch the evening news to see a synopsis of his visit. It's well timed with the action in Afghanistan which has cost a few lives here. He also singled out a soldier's wife (a nurse) who volunteered at Ground Zero in NYC in October with the Red Cross. She was at a relief station with first aid for emergency workers. I had heard her interviewed on local radio just a few days ago about her experiences in New York.

- hotwine - 03-15-2002

Sorry you didn't get a chance to shake his hand, Wow. Very personable fellow. Had the privilege when as governor he visited the flooded region of New Braunfels Tx in Oct 98, where I was a volunteer in the clean-up crew. We were pretty stinky, but he didn't seem to mind.
Glad to hear good things about Ft Bragg; have fond memories of that place, for a short interim assignment (with 2POG) between OCS at Ft Benning & a tour with the Cav in 'Nam. Learned to flyfish on the Rod & Gun Club pond between alerts & FTX's and classes in the PO course. Seems like BG Stillwell was CG of the JFK Center then. It was an interesting time back then, but undoubtedly infinitely more so today!

- Bucko - 03-15-2002

Womack was a nightmare for us as interns. We worked an average of 110 hours a week, call every third night and you were up all night. They don't allow that these days -- much more touchy feely. Now I can sit back with the old farts and talk about when giants roamed the earth..... cough.

- hotwine - 03-16-2002

Yup, geezerhood ain't too bad, considerin'...

- winoweenie - 03-16-2002

Ok youse fellers. Pull up a stool and tell us young'uns some war stories.......PUHLEEEZZZEEEEE!!!!!! WW

- Bucko - 03-16-2002

WW, we don't remember WW1 -- enlighten us.

- hotwine - 03-16-2002

Yeah, there's geezerhood and then there's wheezerhood....

- wondersofwine - 03-16-2002

As long as World War I gets a mention...my mother took piano lessons from General Pershing's sister. The aunts looked after Pershing's remaining child (a son I believe) after his wife and other child were killed in a fire at Presidio of San Francisco. When Pershing came to Lincoln, Nebraska to see his son, Mother's piano lessons were canceled for the duration which pleased her.

- hotwine - 03-16-2002

Neat! Ol' Cactus Jack remains legendary in these parts.

- winoweenie - 03-16-2002

As usual neither of you two deginerates can count....It was WW 222222 youse can confirm me wif'. HUF....PUF...HUF....WW1 my broken Screwpull. WW