WineBoard
Growl! More on the ARC - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Growl! More on the ARC (/thread-12744.html)

- hotwine - 11-19-2001

Fine article in the Washington Post today, at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50540-2001Nov18.html

- winoweenie - 11-19-2001

Amazingly, after being found out they now say 100% of the money will go to the Sept 11th survivors!!! 'Aint publicity a hang-nail? WW

- hotwine - 11-19-2001

No kiddin'! And as the Post article points out, this ain't the first time they've been caught with their knickers down. They seem to be what you might call slow-learners.

- mrdutton - 11-20-2001

As I've noted in other posts, there are better charities to support than the American Red Cross.

Today I went to the local grocery store and bought all the frozen turkey breasts I could find.

Then I drove smartly over to the local charity organization that tries to distribute Thanksgiving meals to local needy families.

They try to get at least 3000 meals distributed every year.

Hopefully, I helped them out a bit........ Sure as I'm writing this Red Cross and the United Way didn't do a thing for them.

- hotwine - 11-20-2001

Good move, Mike.
We're trying to make our contributions personal, with donations of groceries and furniture, as well as cash, to specific families that we know of, that need a little help. Seems to be much more effective than mindlessly writing a check to a large organization.

- winoweenie - 11-20-2001

Took a bunch of stuff to St. Vincent de Paul this AM as always. They not only take care of the hungry here in the valley during the holidays but serve over 2000 meals a week all year long. A lovely orginazition that we've supported for over 30 years. WW

[This message has been edited by winoweenie (edited 11-21-2001).]

- wondersofwine - 11-26-2001

My church has participated in Cumberland Interfaith Hospitality Network in which 10-12 churches rotate hosting homeless families for a week at a time (comes around 4 or 5 times a year). This includes providing all meals and sleeping cots and linens in Sunday school classrooms or the church library. During the daytime the school-age children go to school and the parents go to work or on job interviews or stay with their preschool children at a day center connected with a Presbyterian church. Usually the families are in CIHN hands for only a month or two before saving enough money to make a deposit on an apartment. Sometimes two families go together to rent a house. I have cooked a number of dinners for our CIHN guests and value the experience. (The number of people is limited to 14 at a time). One success story is a lady with a son and daughter (pre-teen and teen) whose husband burned down their home when she attempted to leave him. She found a factory job and rented a home with another single mom and the family is doing well. We also have given gifts (usually one needed item of clothing such as a warm jacket or a sweatsuit and one game or toy) to children with one parent in prison and given the gifts in the name of the prisoner. One year I made a delivery to three children in that situation and seeing their eyes light up when they spotted the wrapped packages really made my day.

- winedope - 11-26-2001

hurray for everyone remembering the folks at home. While all of the crisis victims have my sypathies, I think that a number of the local support groups have been neglected. Our local food bank was still 2000 turkeys short of feeding the families who had applied for aid as of 5 days before Thanksgiving. We managed to pick up the slack, and all known families were fed, but the need doesn't stop there. While such worthy national crises need aid, it's hard to really know where the contributions are going. When it is done locally, such as with food banks and the like, at least you know that the people who are in need are being taken care of.