WineBoard
Weeding out cellar - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Weeding out cellar (/thread-12722.html)

Pages: 1 2

- brappy - 03-08-2008

Hey Eng, where did you post on the Dry Creek? Anyway, good notes. Especially the box-wine note.

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes.

It has taken me 2 days to recover. Pretty pathetic, but hey, I'm not getting any younger.

The day was spent with a couple of friends and my wife (4 total). We hit a couple of wine shops in DC after a fattening lunch at Mark's Duckhouse in Northern Va.

OK, the wines. Oh, also the notes are fairly clipped; we were drinking, not tasting.

#1 - Wakefield, Clare Valley, Riesling, '05. Sorry took not one note on this wine. Dry with good fruit. This was palate prep.

#2 - Duca Enrico, Sicily, Nero D'avila, '88; red, sweet cherries on the nose; And then I put this wine on my palate... I had one of those moments where the wine was just sitting in its window... Its perfect window. The wine could not be more into its peak than at that moment. Great red fruit, perfect balance, and great finish. A finish that makes you beg for more. Wine of the night, and we had to start with it.

This wine is made by Corvo and is thier flagship wine. We bought this (the last 5 bottles) for $10 per at Scnieders.... What a find!

#3 - Chateau Bois-Malot, Bordeaux, '89. Don't know anything else about the wine. A friend of mine brought this from Taiwan. So this bottle has been around the world. Nose has some red fruit with a bit of green. The same on the palate,with a touch of black pepper and dirty earth. This bottle doesn't seem to be in decline. Not the best wine out there, but aging well for what it is.

#4 - Chateau Troplong Mondot, Bordeaux, '92. At first the green in this wine was just overpowering. But in time it calmed down to have a nice balance with the generous red fruit it was sporting.

#5 - Chateau Troplong Mondot, Bordeaux, '96. Much more weight than the '92; But the fruit wasn'r near as tasty. The nose was nothing but mushroom, and that never died. Overall, a pleasant wine, but not one that I want again.

#6 - Corison, Napa, '99 - Great nose. All dusty red fruit. Medium body and just enough green pepper to give this wine some complexity. Great purity and simply a great wine.

#7 - Kenwood, Artist Series, Sonoma, '99. Some barnyard earth on the nose; also some minty/eucalyptus type of thing.The fruit really comes out on the palate. Great weight on the mid-palate. There is also some cracked black pepper noticeable on the palate. Great balance. (I wrote something else but am having a hard time reading it).

#8 - Spencer-Roloson, Zinfandel, '04, Sonoma. Great heavy fruit with strong notes of coffee and chocolate. Great, sweet fruit. The last word I wrote here was "Hedonistic". Not sure where I was going with that but the wine was a killer wine.

#9 - Biale, Zinfandel, Sonoma, '01. Tons of fresh natural black, blue, and even some red fruits. Great weight. This wine, unlike the Spencer-Rol, didn't use oak to flavor. Biale let the fruit do all the talking. Great job.

I hope that doesn't come off as a rip on the S-R Zin. The oak they used, paired with the fruit they had was a perfect match. I was just making the distinction between the 2 Zins.

I guess there was a 10th wine. I opened a bottle of Shotfire Ridge Shiraz, '04. I didn't take any notes. I'm not sure I could have written anything else at that point.

Anyway, we had a lot of fun.....

mark

Oh, and I'll post on this wine in the correct place, but now am enjoying both the '04 and the '05 Hundred Acre Barossa Shiraz.

- brappy - 03-08-2008

Wonders, I'm looking forward to this. Samos is just fine with me. Hattie and I haven't been for awhile. Actually, she's been nagging me about that very thing. So it's a great idea.

mark

- wondersofwine - 03-10-2008

Can we say 6:00 PM Thursday, April 3rd at Samos, then?

- winoweenie - 03-10-2008

Sounds like my type of get-together. You musta' had a slackard in the group who dint drink his/her 3 bottles. Love it whenced that happens. The group is throwing my official B/D song-fest at the club today.WW [img]http://wines.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

- brappy - 03-11-2008

Sounds good to me Jane. Can't wait. Spain is what I'll bring. I'm bringing gems if anyone else wants to join.....

And WW, I love me some BD parties.....

mark

- wondersofwine - 03-11-2008

I haven't decided what I'll bring. Any requests?

- brappy - 03-13-2008

Wonders,

My only request is, that it be something tasty. [img]http://wines.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img]

mark

[This message has been edited by brappy (edited 03-13-2008).]

- Duane Meissner - 03-15-2008

Interesting to see the pick for the wine of the night up there in Mark's notes. At our tasting last Tuesday our host mentioned that he has never had a bad Sicilian wine, and that they are almost always priced very well. Have others here had the same experience?

DM

- wondersofwine - 03-15-2008

Not yet, but I may in May. For the Charlotte Wine and Food weekend I signed up for a dinner with Italian wines before it was published that they are all from Sicily. That would not be my first choice, but maybe I will find something I like among the Sicilian wines.

- TheEngineer - 03-18-2008

Pulled out a few more

(1) 1999 Mas de Gourgonegne - dead solder
(2) 1997 Inniskillin Cabernet Franc - Dead solider
(3) 2003 Moulin-a Vent Beajolais...label missing most of is. - nice stil, cranberry nose, ripe, densely falvoured, still a touch tannic but in a good place that needs to be consumed. This one did not last long and 1/3 made it into a stew sauce.

- wondersofwine - 03-19-2008

Engineer and Brappy have inspired me to cull a few. I have two white wines in the lineup that will probably be past their prime and will end up being poured out--a California Gewurz and a Washington Riesling.

- TheEngineer - 03-20-2008

1989 Diet Coke, half can 120mL airline edition (Singapore Airlines)

Yeap, after 18 years, I finally popped this one. AHEWQ@#$!#$%@#$^@$> Holy...1!@#$#... Argh....

Wow...this thing smelled bad.....it is a chemical bath...no one could possibly drink this.........I think a tooth just disintegrated.....

[This message has been edited by TheEngineer (edited 03-20-2008).]

- wondersofwine - 03-21-2008

Singapore Airlines? Where in the world is Engineer?

- TheEngineer - 03-23-2008

WOW. I'm in Boston this week but the Diet Coke in reference was the one that I kept from a flight from Toronto to Tokyo when I graduated from High School. It was a 1/2 can in size..something that I had not seen before and I wanted to keep it so that I had something to drink in Toyko..knowing the price of things there. I ended up keeping it as a souvenier (sp?) and packed it away with other trip memorabilias until recently when I found it during some spring cleaning. So I popped it.... ARGHHHHH..... sesh....never do that again.. It was horrible.

- TheEngineer - 03-23-2008

After getting home from dinner, opened up one of the bottles that had been waiting.

2004 Napa River Merlot ($3.99). Okay, really boring though, ripe, hint off dry, round, simple, okay. Just could not finish the bottle....went down the drain.

- brappy - 03-28-2008

Have been tasting a bunch of great juice lately while cruising around the NC coast searching out retirement / vacation property. Anyway, Jane, Hattie and I will be there at 5:30 or maybe even earlier. We stopped by for a quick dinner a couple of weeks ago at 5:15 and the place filled up right away. We look forward to seeing you. If anyone else would like to join for a fun evening, let one of us know.

mark