WineBoard
Pre-empting Wine Spectator - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: Pre-empting Wine Spectator (/thread-12712.html)

Pages: 1 2

- TheEngineer - 11-26-2005

Now that the turkey gravy is slowing moving out of my blood stream, and with the entire US marketing focus switching to Christmas and the End of the Year, the inevitable top 10, top 100 lists of everything of 2005 is going to start coming out. This includes the Top 100 wines from all the wine mags including Wine Spectator. I want to apologize in advance, this post is not meant to be a flame and I know that many out there have strong opinions on these wine mags, but....

I would like to pre-empt their publication. What are your guesses as to their WOTY? Better yet, what is your WOTY (defined as being a current release?? what is the definition anyways....) and perhaps we can start our list here. I'm guessing that some person/yahoo/worse posts something like this every year...so it might as well be me.

Without looking like an idiot (perhaps already there), I'm guessing that the WS WOTY will be the 2001 Chateau Yquem. Logic, if the 2001 Riessec could wine WOTY and the Yquem apparently leaves it in its dust, then this should be a good candidate....just wondering if they will worry about their credibility on picking a Sauternes for two years in a row.......

Anyone else??

- Kcwhippet - 11-27-2005

We have the issue of the WS with the Top 100. The 2001 Y'Quem made the top 10, but not no. 1. I forget exactly where, but I think it's around 8, and they did give it a score of 100.

- brappy - 11-27-2005

I glance at WS but never really read it. I don't subscribe to it, but work does. I respect thier contribution to the wine world, but that's about it. I like to read thier notes but have not been able to align my palate to any one of thier tasters.

I would even like to talk s$&t about them, but know thier contribution is too great to take lightly. Shanken is brilliant in his drive to teach America and beyond, his view of wine. His only mistake, IMHO, is advertisement from what he might critisise.

Maybe they're true to the consumer, but there's the constant thought: they might be paid off.

I want to believe what they say and score but that little nagging cash-flow thing gets in the way.

That being said, anyone can read Tanzer, Parker and a host of others but really the only taste you can trust will be your own.....always.

I'm curious how many of us have tasted '01 D'Yquem. I haven't. I have tasted a few of these gems but not this one. And I'm sure I've missed most of what's on the WS list.

Luckily, the wine world is ever-expanding and I believe I will never be with want of a great wine that only a few of us know or we all know and love.

I don't care what the wine of the year is. We all have our own. If it really interests anyone, I have a few:

Chateau Montrose '89, '90
A. de Marconnay Vouvray '59
La Tache '59
Richebourge DRC '55, '59, '62, '73
Chateau Canon '45
Ringland Shiraz '00
Chambers 1890 reserve tokai solera,(sp)

I'm sure there are many others, but off the top of my head, that about covers it.

There are many others that were "wine moment" quality wines I tried, but really, who cares? Drink up and taste; I, and everyone, may like your wine better than anything we've had before.

mark

[This message has been edited by brappy (edited 11-27-2005).]

- TheEngineer - 11-27-2005

Mag is out?? @#$!$!%!#@....I thought that I would look like an idiot for posting...not for being late.....!#$!%!##&%. oh well....next year.....

- Thomas - 11-27-2005

Brappy,

Some good thoughts there. I decided a long time ago that horse races should be left to horse racing.

- TheEngineer - 11-27-2005

Brappy,

Nice list of wines that you've consumed this year and trust me, I agree with your comments, so you've noticed in part at least my humility at approaching the subject in my original post.

Also the topic was the wine relesaed this year. Your list does not look like a that type of list...unless the Chateaux/Domaines/etc, smile nicely on you. Either way, bandwidth wasted and no harm done. Cheers.

- brappy - 11-27-2005

EngII, missed the "released this year" thing. Maybe I should stop posting AFTER multi-bottle tastings.

mark

- TheEngineer - 11-28-2005

No worries Brappy. I did like reading your post and totally agree on your points. just have to note again the nice list [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]...(though it did make me kinda jealous....all those in one year.. it would be a good list for me period..... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/smile.gif[/img]

Post on dude!!

- wondersofwine - 11-28-2005

One of my favorites was the 2002 Gary Farrell Russian River Valley Pinot Noir (with grapes from Rochioli, Allen and two or three more vineyards). I have a Burgundy tasting to attend December 7th and may come up with a new favorite there.

- Kcwhippet - 11-28-2005

Eng,

Mag w/ Top 100 isn't really on the stands yet. We have it in the shop ready to put out. I opened the box to take a quick look at the 100.

- Glass_A_Day - 11-28-2005

Just got mine. WW will be pleased with #1. I was suprised how many were already in my cellar including #1. The feeding frenzy must have begun on winecommune.com.

- winoweenie - 11-28-2005

Don't subscribe to the rag for meeny reasons but foremost is the disparity between my palate and their resident Napa expert. WW

Awe WW, good ol' JL gave the 02 Insignia the numero uno spoto on the list.

- winoweenie - 11-28-2005

I had alreddy put that sucker in the cellar wif-out hims' help. WW

- Kcwhippet - 11-28-2005

Jeez, GAD, you're sounding like the Weener.

He rubs off somthin' fierce don't he... [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img] Hell of an influence. Now to aquire his budget...

- Kcwhippet - 11-28-2005

Not a chance. I've tried to get on WW's list of benefactors. Hasn't worked so far. Probably never will. I'm just hoping to get me and Judy out there just once for a day or even two with him. That would be a wonderful experience.

- winoweenie - 11-29-2005

For the live of mees I can't unnerstan why ennyone would want to leave the cold, dismal, dreary weather of Boston this time of year and come out here and lolligag in the 75-80* sunshine-every waking-moment days. Beats the devil outta' me but if you ever tear yourself away youse and lovely Judy would be more than welcome to open a bottle or so of vinegar wif the weener. WW

- TheEngineer - 11-29-2005

" can't unnerstan why ennyone would want to leave the cold, dismal, dreary weather of Boston this time of year......"

#$%#%&#@...........let's just say that I'm in denial right now.......

- Glass_A_Day - 11-29-2005

ALready had the snowblower going this year WW. I would drink actual vinager to avoid the upcomming winter. [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/wink.gif[/img]