WineBoard
So, what are your July 4th wines? - Printable Version

+- WineBoard (https://www.wines.com/wineboard)
+-- Forum: GENERAL (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-100.html)
+--- Forum: Rants & Raves (https://www.wines.com/wineboard/forum-12.html)
+--- Thread: So, what are your July 4th wines? (/thread-12688.html)

Pages: 1 2

- dananne - 07-03-2003

What does everyone plan to open to celebrate tomorrow? Anyone opening anything special and/or are you matching your menus?

- Innkeeper - 07-03-2003

In New England it is obligitory to have grilled salmon, boiled potatoes, peas, and pinot on the Fourth. Have some nice ones from Down Under, but an American would be more appropriate. Therefore thinking Logan Sleepy Hollow.

- NorCalGirl - 07-03-2003

Have packed some localish wine for the camping trip this weekend: Karly Sadie Upton Zinfandel, Eagle & Rose Sav Blanc and Nevada City Winery's Rough & Ready Red.... that should about cover it :-)

- Botafogo - 07-03-2003

Rose, Rose Champagne, Red Rice Ale from Japan and LOTS of mineral water, it is HOT here!

- Bucko - 07-03-2003

Obligatory BBQ on the 4th, so it is Zin, Petite Syrah and Mourvedre for us.

- hotwine - 07-03-2003

Probably somethin' like that here, too, but she's not told me yet what we're fixin'.

- Kcwhippet - 07-03-2003

Not sure yet. We just did a six of Bass Ale with steamed lobsters and corn on the cob. Tomorrow is too far in the future to have made definite plans yet.

- JagFarlane - 07-03-2003

Mmmmm visitin my grandfather...probably the usual, knock off a bottle of Sam Adams an enjoy some hamburgers...

- Georgie - 07-03-2003

BBQ at sister's house. I'll probably take the Blackstone Merlot along. Sister and brother-in-law recently visited the Tomasello winery in south Jersey and bought a bottle of Epilogue dessert Riesling. We'll end up with that. One of those "candy in a glass" types that I love for dessert.

- Thomas - 07-04-2003

In retail, we work on such holidays. I will, however, pop open a Dardano Rosato Salento sometime before the fireworks pop over the East River.

I hear there will be a rainbow firework to spread from the East River west to the Hudson--if true, that would be extraordinary, as is the Rosato (produced from primitivo).

- randery - 07-04-2003

Bonny Doon Pacific Rim Reisling; Rawson's Retreat '01 Merlot; Cline '01 Zin; Corona beer, NewCastle Ale (Chicken, 1/2 pound burgers, Mucke's dogs)

[This message has been edited by randery (edited 07-04-2003).]

- zenda2 - 07-04-2003

Rosemount Estate Grenache Shiraz + Bonny Doon Vin Gris de Cigare.

- Drew - 07-04-2003

Bottled water.....working to keep the animals contained in Baltimore tonight.

Drew

- hotwine - 07-04-2003

Sympathies, Drew. And thanks.

Wife says she wants burgers, so I'll be doing those in the rain. No problem. Will likely choose another Seghesio Zin.

- winoweenie - 07-04-2003

Am doing another group of Hickory-Smoked Baby-Backs. Falling off the bone tender suckers. On the smoker at 7am and just snatched 'em off at 2:30pm. Have a Ridge 94 Geyserville Zinkfunziedel opened and waiting. Had a really nice 92 Caymus Special Selection whilst I prepared, rubbed, and put them suckers on to smoke. Been so long since I last had a bottle of good juice that I was so wrapped-up in the savoring of the juice I forgots to make enny mental notes. Can guarantee twere beautifully integrated and an outstanding bottle. 'Tis a berry happy 4th!. WW

- hotwine - 07-04-2003

Yup, ours turned out nice, too. With the burgers on the oak fire (so lean, they needed an egg for two pounds of meat, to get 'em to form patties), added sweet corn still in the shucks. Roasted' em 'til the shucks were mostly black, then at the table drizzled with garlic & herb butter. Fresh sweet tomatoes, spinach, sweet onions to top the patties, and the Seghesio Zin. Happy 4th!

Thinkin' about the troops.... zzz-pop of sniper fire, crump! of a grenade.... keep your heads down, guys. And thanks for your service.

- dananne - 07-04-2003

Had a bottle of Rex Hill Pinot Noir while watching the fireworks at Turner Field from the house (it is nice, at times, to live so near the stadium -- we have a 100 yr. old Victorian downtown in a neighborhood called Grant Park, for those who know Atlanta).

- Georgie - 07-05-2003

Last night I sat on the porch of the hotel and watched the fireworks off the beach. A beautiful display on a perfectly clear night. Today there's a big parade that is like a live Norman Rockwell painting! It's just wonderful! Real Americana. We're not doing our barbecue until tomorrow when everybody's off. We've had hot, sunny, perfect July 4th weekend weather. I'm sure you're glad to get the rain, HW! And, you're right...as cliche as it is, "Freedom isn't free." Remember the price so many have paid.

- Innkeeper - 07-05-2003

Our town budget didn't fund a parade or fireworks this year, so the people did it. Collections for the fireworks were limited to $10 or less, so that all of our 2500 residents who wanted to participate, could. The parade was planned with less than three weeks to go. It was the best, longest, most fun parade we have had in the fifteen years we have lived here. Who needs government anyway!!!

For dinner we ended up baking our salmon chunks (pieces) in the oven. While they were in the oven with tiny white potatoes roasting beside them in their skins, we nuked some minted petite peas, and made a lemony hollandaise sauce with which to nap the salmon. It all came together very well. Washed it down with our last 2000 Loring, Gary's Vineyard, Pinot Noir.

Mother only had a glass and a splash of the wine, so I finished the bottle that weighed in at 14.5% alcohol. It got a little sloshy out. Made it fun to watch the fireworks which unfortuately turned out to be pretty colors in the fog followed by a bang. The finale was lots of pretty colors in the fog followed by many bangs and booms.

- JagFarlane - 07-05-2003

Hmmmmm well where I am situated...I just sat just outside my door, and watched three townships shoot off fireworks over the bay [img]http://www.wines.com/ubb2/biggrin.gif[/img] . Then shot off a few of my own and went in to watch the M*A*S*H movie.